Books and Literature

yuzupon

As an English major, yup, literature was very much part of my daily menu. I never learned to like British authors though (sorry!) And I'm more into American ones, like Faulkner and Hemingway.

I'm a postmodernism lover and my favorite author so far is Haruki Murakami. I have probably devoured most of his books by now.

As an English major, yup, literature was very much part of my daily menu. I never learned to like British authors though (sorry!) And I'm more into American ones, like Faulkner and Hemingway.

I'm a postmodernism lover and my favorite author so far is Haruki Murakami. I have probably devoured most of his books by now.

I also love Haruki Murakami,so far I've read 9 of his books I think,and I connected with his writing a lot.If Japan had fascinated me before reading them,I've reached the point of painful longing for Japan after reading them.My love for Yuzu is just the icing on the cake in regard to my feelings about Japan,and today I found myself for the first time searching for books on how to learn Japanese,I am doomed. Other than that,I'm more into finding stuff to read from as many different countries as possible,but it's not easy to find translations into my native language (which is not English) for all the good stuff,and I'm a bit of a literary snob tbh

I also love Haruki Murakami,so far I've read 9 of his books I think,and I connected with his writing a lot.If Japan had fascinated me before reading them,I've reached the point of painful longing for Japan after reading them.My love for Yuzu is just the icing on the cake in regard to my feelings about Japan,and today I found myself for the first time searching for books on how to learn Japanese,I am doomed. Other than that,I'm more into finding stuff to read from as many different countries as possible,but it's not easy to find translations into my native language (which is not English) for all the good stuff,and I'm a bit of a literary snob tbh

This is me!! :pbow: :pbow: :pbow:

The first time I read his books (After Dark by the way), I instantly liked him and his writing style. Most of my friends were reading Nicholas Sparks and the Twilight series (which I do not appreciate at all, sorry!) and I was the only one with a Japanese author, talking about a foreign country, almost magical in his words, and a series of characters from a lost generation that I felt deeply connected with. I already liked Japanese culture that time but I came to love it even more. I remember skipping lunch just to save money to buy his books (and books in Portugal were so expensive for a high school student to afford them).

I find myself now reading books about Shinto, about Bushido, the Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi --> trying to cultivate an inquisitive and philosophical mind LOL

This is me!! :pbow: :pbow: :pbow:

The first time I read his books (After Dark by the way), I instantly liked him and his writing style. Most of my friends were reading Nicholas Sparks and the Twilight series (which I do not appreciate at all, sorry!) and I was the only one with a Japanese author, talking about a foreign country, almost magical in his words, and a series of characters from a lost generation that I felt deeply connected with. I already liked Japanese culture that time but I came to love it even more. I remember skipping lunch just to save money to buy his books (and books in Portugal were so expensive for a high school student to afford them).

I find myself now reading books about Shinto, about Bushido, the Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi --> trying to cultivate an inquisitive and philosophical mind LOL

'After Dark' is one of his books that I haven't read yet.Another famous book of his I haven't read is 'Sputnik Sweetheart'.That 'Five Rings' book sounds very interesting,I'm adding it on my wish list,i don't know yet if it was translated here.Books are very expensive here too,but i've learned to hunt for on-line deals that can be amazing sometimes,especially for books who were published a few years before.I used to spend quite a lot at Black Fridays,but now i've found great deals throughout the whole year,and if a book is not super-popular/mainstream chances are the discount is even bigger.

'After Dark' is one of his books that I haven't read yet.Another famous book of his I haven't read is 'Sputnik Sweetheart'.That 'Five Rings' book sounds very interesting,I'm adding it on my wish list,i don't know yet if it was translated here.Books are very expensive here too,but i've learned to hunt for on-line deals that can be amazing sometimes,especially for books who were published a few years before.I used to spend quite a lot at Black Fridays,but now i've found great deals throughout the whole year,and if a book is not super-popular/mainstream chances are the discount is even bigger.

Sputnik Sweetheart was the third one I bought if I'm not wrong (totally recommended!). The one I haven't completed reading is Wind-up Bird Chronicle and I do plan finishing it by this summer (school work keeps me busy most of the time :cry: )

I have actually bought a lot of books since I started working and my bookshelf is full of unread works. I guess I fall into this category:

[image]http://www.awesomeinventions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/japanese-words-tsundoku.jpg[/image]

From [link=http://www.awesomeinventions.com/japanese-words-that-dont-have-english-equivalents/3/]Awesome Inventions[/link]

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Sputnik Sweetheart was the third one I bought if I'm not wrong (totally recommended!). The one I haven't completed reading is Wind-up Bird Chronicle and I do plan finishing it by this summer (school work keeps me busy most of the time :cry: )

I have actually bought a lot of books since I started working and my bookshelf is full of unread works. I guess I fall into this category:

[image]http://www.awesomeinventions.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/japanese-words-tsundoku.jpg[/image]

From [link=http://www.awesomeinventions.com/japanese-words-that-dont-have-english-equivalents/3/]Awesome Inventions[/link]

I'm definitely falling under the Tsundoku aesthetic myself :rofl2:

I've read 'Wind-up Bird Chronicle' and tbh I've been disappointed by it because it started very strong and promising and it went very well for like a third of the book,but after that it felt apart for me and I ended up being very annoyed with it.What made it worse was that I had huge expectations because it's one of his most popular/praised books,but it just didn't work for me,and that was an unpleasant surprise since his books are usually such a reliable choice for me.(anyway,don't let my experience with it influence you!)

My absolute favorite books of his are 'Kafka on the Shore','Norwegian Wood', 'Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World' and '1Q84' (for the latter i would like to have a little talk with his editor tho).

OMG, this is so me! When I was packing to move abroad, I had to move all my books back to my childhood home (my apartment is rented out), and I packed all my books into "finished reading", "half-finished", "haven't started" piles, and my mom just went :omg: at how the 3rd pile was so large.

My inability to read as many books as I used to is one of the reasons that made me realise I need a career change. (Not saying you might need one, tho. Just that it was the case for me).

And here I was getting worried I was the only one with two bookcases of yet-to-read books..

Only two? Amateur! :rofl2:

One day I need to upload my bookcase photos somewhere and share the pain of too many books.

And here I was getting worried I was the only one with two bookcases of yet-to-read books..

One day I need to upload my bookcase photos somewhere and share the pain of too many books.

I have loads of plan-to-read books and the amount is steadily increasing ><

:embSwan:

Erm... OK, another one at my parents' place... 1200 kilometers off from here!

I've had to move quite a lot, so I learnt to restrain myself when it came to books. And I learnt to give them away!

• yuzupon changed the title to Books and Literature