Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

On 23/5/2017 at 11:42, Puniyo said:

Last week I invited my students for lunch since they had just finished the last performance of their show before graduation. It was a very emotional and meaningful moment for all of them and since most of them had not eaten lunch yet, I bought them food. This week, they going the office asking the other teachers for lunch and I feel perplexed. In my time as a student, if a teacher invited us, we would be extremely happy and appreciate it. Nowadays, they ask for food as if it was the most natural thing and they even talk on your back if you don't offer them anything. Since when has this generation become so... shameless?

On the contrary, I'd think that their request for lunch to other teachers... would be proof that they enjoyed and appreciated that moment with you, and they craved for more! They lacked tact, probably, and they lacked formality, but I don't think that should be indication that they didn't appreciate your gesture, or recognize its beauty. But, since I don't know the details, I could be wrong. 

I do agree that in my generation (I finished High school a year ago) there is more familiarity given to teachers, but, really, it depends on the teacher. In my High School there was this italian professor who was kinda quirky, very serious, immensely intelligent and sensitive. We all loved him, but he never became too familiar with us. Every time he gave us a little something about him, since it was a special occasion, we were feeling very loved. 

Then there were other professors that made us (the classroom, not me specifically) make fun of them, either behind their backs or in their face. There were professors who insisted on 'Terror ruling', so no one made fun of them, but most of us hated them in secret. 

Relationships students-teachers depend on both parties - and I'd say even more, every student should have a personal relationship with their teacher. Unfortunately, high schools are very alienated, and sometimes teachers and students alike aren't seen as humans, with feelings, but just machines that have to do their work, do homework and correct homework, yadayada. 

Oh look I RAMBLED AGAIN. School is very dear to me. My experience was tormented, even though I was one of the best. I've had wonderful relationships with sensitive and human teachers, and I've had terrible fights with cold and alienated teachers that wouldn't let me be human in class. I was always angry, and secretely needy of affection. Most students will overlay their parents' image over their teacher's faces. So, some will be needy, some will be angry, some will be distant and some will treat them like family. 

I got caught in a thunderstorm and I was soaked to the bone yesterday. :smiley-sad058: I've never experienced something like this in my entire life! I stood in a doorway waiting for the pouring rain and windstorm to stop, but then because there was no public transport, I had to walk home, which took me 3,5 hours. :dbana:

Well one thing was good - I was walking in the middle of empty, rainy roads while I was listening to great music. It was rather atmospheric :) 

17 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I got caught in a thunderstorm and I was soaked to the bone yesterday. :smiley-sad058: I've never experienced something like this in my entire life! I stood in a doorway waiting for the pouring rain and windstorm to stop, but then because there was no public transport, I had to walk home, which took me 3,5 hours. :dbana:

Well one thing was good - I was walking in the middle of empty, rainy roads while I was listening to great music. It was rather atmospheric :) 

At least you didn't have to shower once at home! 

18 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Oh, what was the music?

48 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

On the contrary, I'd think that their request for lunch to other teachers... would be proof that they enjoyed and appreciated that moment with you, and they craved for more! They lacked tact, probably, and they lacked formality, but I don't think that should be indication that they didn't appreciate your gesture, or recognize its beauty. But, since I don't know the details, I could be wrong. 

I do agree that in my generation (I finished High school a year ago) there is more familiarity given to teachers, but, really, it depends on the teacher. In my High School there was this italian professor who was kinda quirky, very serious, immensely intelligent and sensitive. We all loved him, but he never became too familiar with us. Every time he gave us a little something about him, since it was a special occasion, we were feeling very loved. 

Then there were other professors that made us (the classroom, not me specifically) make fun of them, either behind their backs or in their face. There were professors who insisted on 'Terror ruling', so no one made fun of them, but most of us hated them in secret. 

Relationships students-teachers depend on both parties - and I'd say even more, every student should have a personal relationship with their teacher. Unfortunately, high schools are very alienated, and sometimes teachers and students alike aren't seen as humans, with feelings, but just machines that have to do their work, do homework and correct homework, yadayada. 

Oh look I RAMBLED AGAIN. School is very dear to me. My experience was tormented, even though I was one of the best. I've had wonderful relationships with sensitive and human teachers, and I've had terrible fights with cold and alienated teachers that wouldn't let me be human in class. I was always angry, and secretely needy of affection. Most students will overlay their parents' image over their teacher's faces. So, some will be needy, some will be angry, some will be distant and some will treat them like family. 

Rambles always welcomed :party0012:

About the lack of tact, I do agree with it. I can also very very informal with my students but I guess sometimes they forget there's a line between being playful and seriousness. It doesn't help too that I'm close to them in age so I guess the inexperience part transposes a little. But when it comes to money, I don't know maybe it's just my opinion, they really could learn better manners... haha!

And yes, school is extremely dear to me. So much that I'm going back for post-graduate studies. An academic career is very much in my plans. 

My rambling for today --> I don't want to wear a gown or fancy dress for a dinner and I want to wear a suit. I believe I can be as much of a woman as anyone else in pants instead of a dress. Too much feminism? :consoling2:

51 minutes ago, Puniyo said:

Rambles always welcomed :party0012:

About the lack of tact, I do agree with it. I can also very very informal with my students but I guess sometimes they forget there's a line between being playful and seriousness. It doesn't help too that I'm close to them in age so I guess the inexperience part transposes a little. But when it comes to money, I don't know maybe it's just my opinion, they really could learn better manners... haha!

And yes, school is extremely dear to me. So much that I'm going back for post-graduate studies. An academic career is very much in my plans. 

My rambling for today --> I don't want to wear a gown or fancy dress for a dinner and I want to wear a suit. I believe I can be as much of a woman as anyone else in pants instead of a dress. Too much feminism? :consoling2:

I definitely wouldn't ask any teacher to buy me anything, the few times they offered me a coffee I was super embarassed hehe! (Friends, on the contrary. They can buy me everything, I'll never complain hahaha I'm the one that never offers to pay for the group - but hey, I'm justified, I'm usually the poor-est of the group! :rofl:)

A carreer as a teacher... I've thought about it a little, I would enjoy it, but maybe just a part of my life, not all my life. Especially with small kids. Knowing how important the people around you are, when you are in elementary years, how much teachers can influence you in a good or a bad way, I kinda want to feel the satisfaction of helping small people become beautiful people.

As for the dress or the pants, I believe whatever is going to make you feel in tune with your body and comfortable and beautiful, is the way to go! If it's pants, then pants it is! :pbow:

I agree- wear whatever you will enjoy yourself in.  I have had to go to a lot of formal dinners for my sins and always feel better slightly less done up than over done.  Comfortable shoes are important if there's a lot of standing round!

Again, I'm one of those people who had never put makeup in their faces. I don't even know the difference between mascara, concealer and foundation... :rofl:

I guess I'm more of a tomboy :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 hour ago, Fay said:

Oh, what was the music?

Just random songs and artists on my mp3 player, like David Bowie, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Beach House, Chris Isaak - Wicked Games (I love that song), R.E.M.- Shiny Happy People, Dvořák- Piano Trio no. 4., once there was a sudden lightning and a loud thunder while I was listening to RJ1, the music was very fitting :laughing: And the last song was Let's Go Crazy, which was the perfect ending! :biggrin:

All this talk about teachers and students reminded me of my experience at school. I did not have much trouble with grades or schoolwork but I had a lot of trouble interacting socially with people. I'm very shy, I did not start conversations, I did not participate in conversations. Doing school work as a group was very difficult. When I was a kid I had more friends until I had a BFF and talked more. But time passed and my friends moved from school until my BFF moved. I made more friends they also moved, I think I started getting tired of it. I spent my whole school life in a single school and I have no memorable memories from there. Now that I'm in college my interaction has gotten a little better.

17 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Just random songs and artists on my mp3 player, like David Bowie, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Beach House, Chris Isaak - Wicked Games (I love that song), R.E.M.- Shiny Happy People, Dvořák- Piano Trio no. 4., once there was a sudden lightning and a loud thunder while I was listening to RJ1, the music was very fitting :laughing: And the last song was Let's Go Crazy, which was the perfect ending! :biggrin:

It should have also started the walk, I have to say!

Hope you enjoyed it!

16 minutes ago, Puniyo said:

It was actually in college that I met my best friends. I even call them sisters nowadays. Ahh... I miss college :sad-smiley-046:

It's just my second year of college, I hope I can interact more. Talking about clothes and makeup, my clothes are basically T-shirts and pants, I do not wear makeup and it does not help that my hair is a little short. I'm a very practical person.

2 minutes ago, kitsune said:

It's just my second year of college, I hope I can interact more. Talking about clothes and makeup, my clothes are basically T-shirts and pants, I do not wear makeup and it does not help that my hair is a little short. I'm a very practical person.

Sister!! :party0012:

I'm the same... practical is what I want... if it's not comfortable, I won't wear it. I don't wear laces, dresses, skirts only during winter, and my hair is mostly always on a ponytail... :rofl: