Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

Psyching myself up for a difficult week I've been watching my favourite free skates on YouTube - I feel sorry for poor old Rittberger, who unlike Messrs Axel,Lutz and Salchow has been dropped by most commentators from his once eponymous jump- why pick on him? Too many syllables?

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

Psyching myself up for a difficult week I've been watching my favourite free skates on YouTube - I feel sorry for poor old Rittberger, who unlike Messrs Axel,Lutz and Salchow has been dropped by most commentators from his once eponymous jump- why pick on him? Too many syllables?

Did English commentators ever use Rittberger before?

In my countries (and in many other countries in Europe) commentators still use Rittberger mostly, however here most of them call the Toe-Loop in its English form.They still rarely say the 'Stabbed Rittberger though :laughing: ', since we refer to toe jumps as 'stabbed jumps', but it sounds so grotesque and there were so many jokes about it in the past that now almost everyone use Toe-Loop. :biggrin: Sometimes, maily during Olympics, there are still jokes about it, because casual viewers know two jumps - the Toe-Loop and the Axel!

It lurks in the back of my mind which makes me think UK commentators used it  (probably many) years ago- perhaps not North Americans and Robin Cousins who does the BBC commentary these days trained in Colorado so he is likely to use the terminology of his training days - he has an odd slight West Country with a hint of transatlantic accent which amuses me (- my father has the full on West Country accent).  It may be my faulty memory.  I think the names are charming and preferable to the bald descriptions- but I can totally understand abandoning the 'stabbed' jump description- might give enraged fans ideas when the judging becomes truly bizarre!

I've been babbling in japanese for two hours now (i need to practice my pronunciation shh) and it started to feel weird so i decided to read aloud something in english.

For some reason i was using danish intonation what is wrong with me. I literally sounded like these dudes