Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

3 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

I had the weirdest dream where i was watching Shoma skating to the Barney song with a Barney kigurumi. He had the serious expression and all and it was very disturbing :tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

I've never watched Barney, but I've always found it a little scary or disturbing.

6 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Re: the possible cutural thing, I remember during the JHorror boom a lot of Americans said they didn't find Japanese movies scary. Meanwhile, I nearly had a complete mental breakdown from Ju-on. The American remakes were, to me, so in-your-face that they didn't make me flinch one bit but were very popular with local audiences.

As a young child, before I saw non-Asians in rl, I thought of non-Asian horror movies (or even movies in general) as sth more fantastical than horrifying :facepalm: Till now that effect hasn't quite worn off yet with horror movies, esp if the scenes in the movie are very far removed from my surroundings.

20 hours ago, surimi said:

15 yrs since the beginning of the largest flood Prague has known in about 100 years, and we've been having thunderstorms and heavy rain since morning. Weather sure has a twisted sense of humour.  :evilgrin0031:

Oh, I bet everything it's the same perturbance that has now arrived in Italy. Wind sure moves fast! 

It always comes that moment when your favourite character of a Taiga drama has to die, and you know you will probably stop watching the drama alltogether because you only saw it for him. 

Also, since no one knows the drama, you have no one to share your complete despair with. 

Life.

5 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

It always comes that moment when your favourite character of a Taiga drama has to die, and you know you will probably stop watching the drama alltogether because you only saw it for him. 

Also, since no one knows the drama, you have no one to share your complete despair with. 

Life.

I haven't watched since Tenchijin. >_< Which one are you watching?

8 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

I haven't watched since Tenchijin. >_< Which one are you watching?

I am watching おんな城主直虎, that tells the history of the Ii Clan that was led by a woman for a long time... the Drama is very good alone, the music is high quality, the acting is too, but most of all the character of the actor Issei Takahashi I've totally fallen in love with.

I totally suggest you to give it a look... it was addicting for me for a while! I've been keeping up with the episodes even if they didn't have yet the subs, even if my understanding of Japanese subs was very limited xD

What was Tenchijin about? Do you suggest it? 

28 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I am watching おんな城主直虎, that tells the history of the Ii Clan that was led by a woman for a long time... the Drama is very good alone, the music is high quality, the acting is too, but most of all the character of the actor Issei Takahashi I've totally fallen in love with.

I totally suggest you to give it a look... it was addicting for me for a while! I've been keeping up with the episodes even if they didn't have yet the subs, even if my understanding of Japanese subs was very limited xD

What was Tenchijin about? Do you suggest it? 

It was about Oda, Hideyoshi Toyotomi, and Tokugawa but all the names were changed so that they could fictionalise it so not only did I have to try and familiarise myself with some of the lesser known (to me, anway) historical figures but also match them withtheir fake names. I just gave up. It had Abe Hiroshi and Tsumabuki Satoshi in it and i was pretty happy with that at the time. I first saw it on a trip to Japan before i understood much of anything and there was just a beautiful scene with a bedroom with an open courtyard and herry blossom blooming and I more or less watched it for the pretties. :P

Rather than Taiga drama, I'd recommend the American/Japanese 80s co-production, Shogun, which is, again, a fictionalised mess of events in 17th century Japan though wih a lot less characters and episodes to follow. Richard Chamberlin is revolting as usual but it also stars John Rhys-Davies, Mifune Toshiro and Frankie Sakai. The production quality is great and the making of is very interesting, too. It also has a character based on a Christian Japanese princess who I've tried desperately to research but there's hardly any information about her in English. 

Edit: Apparently there's an opera written about her.

http://biesseonline.sdb.org/editoriale.aspx?a=2004&m=10&doc=6232

12 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Rather than Taiga drama, I'd recommend the American/Japanese 80s co-production, Shogun, which is, again, a fictionalised mess of events in 17th century Japan though wih a lot less characters and episodes to follow. Richard Chamberlin is revolting as usual but it also stars John Rhys-Davies, Mifune Toshiro and Frankie Sakai. The production quality is great and the making of is very interesting, too. It also has a character based on a Christian Japanese princess who I've tried desperately to research but there's hardly any information about her in English. 

Is that... Gimli :laughing:

I'll give it a try! For now, I'm a terrible tv show watcher so usually I only get addicted if I can get attached to one character in particular. 

13 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

It was about Oda, Hideyoshi Toyotomi, and Tokugawa but all the names were changed so that they could fictionalise it so not only did I have to try and familiarise myself with some of the lesser known (to me, anway) historical figures but also match them withtheir fake names.

I still haven't begun studying Japanese history so I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem for me! 

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

Is that... Gimli :laughing:

I'll give it a try! For now, I'm a terrible tv show watcher so usually I only get addicted if I can get attached to one character in particular. 

I still haven't begun studying Japanese history so I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem for me! 

It is a much younger Gimli! Probably around 35 years old at the time.

My concentration for TV and movies sort of died after I turned full-on skating crazy and everything feels like a chore, now. >_<