Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

29 minutes ago, Fay said:

After that awful attack of Tatyana Navka’s on poor Spanish rhythmic gymnasts I started viewing some videos on male rhythmic gymnasts and came across this overview of two principal types of Men’s RG - “Spanish” (which is more or less a copy of Women’s RG) and Japanese MRG. 
With Yuzu’s H&E’s music put to good use! :D 

I watched some of these Japanese (and other) groups on youtube earlier this year. They seem to be popular in high schools. Their body control is amazing, and to remember the choreo must already be challenging.

21 hours ago, Fay said:

After that awful attack of Tatyana Navka’s on poor Spanish rhythmic gymnasts I started viewing some videos on male rhythmic gymnasts and came across this overview of two principal types of Men’s RG - “Spanish” (which is more or less a copy of Women’s RG) and Japanese MRG. 
With Yuzu’s H&E’s music put to good use! :D 

I love the fact that the person who made this video used "Ten to Chi to" to introduce Japanese MRG even though the music isn't so popular internationally, apparently? :biggrin:
It was also nice to find a Russian (Japanese style?) rhythmic gymnast using Etude. I wish the footage was a little longer...

Your post reminded me that there was a Japanese MRG thread here. It is dead for these two years (the last post was mine) but someone was mentioning the Spanish MRG there too. According to this video, there seems to have been a bit of progress since then? I would definitely like to watch more men get involved in these sports or artistic swimming.

2 hours ago, sweetwater said:

I love the fact that the person who made this video used "Ten to Chi to" to introduce Japanese MRG even though the music isn't so popular internationally, apparently? :biggrin:
It was also nice to find a Russian (Japanese style?) rhythmic gymnast using Etude. I wish the footage was a little longer...

Your post reminded me that there was a Japanese MRG thread here. It is dead for these two years (the last post was mine) but someone was mentioning the Spanish MRG there too. According to this video, there seems to have been a bit of progress since then? I would definitely like to watch more men get involved in these sports or artistic swimming.

Thank you for reviving it, I’ve been watching Japanese MRG obsessively lately! 

16 hours ago, hananistellata said:

The past five days have been hell for Greece, fires everywhere spreading all over, people losing their homes and of course, the prime minister is not doing anything to help right now. 

Read the news about the wildfires. I hope the fires will subside soon. Stay safe!

As you all may know Japan has an Entry Ban right now. This impacts students trying to study abroad in Japan a lot. The Student councils/Student Body representatives of the japanese studies Institutes of the Universities of Heidelberg and Düsseldorf have set up a petition/plea letter to the japanese embassador to Germany concerning this. We will be handing over the petition to the Japanese embassy at latest at the end of August, change dot org is just a Plattform to be able to collect signitures more easily 

http://chng.it/62LGB4tLbJ

On 8/7/2021 at 1:30 AM, hananistellata said:

The past five days have been hell for Greece, fires everywhere spreading all over, people losing their homes and of course, the prime minister is not doing anything to help right now. 

I have been travelling to the Peloponnese for years, but I never experienced the fires "live". It breaks my heart when I see the black hills and the burnt pine forests, I can only imagine how bad the people's lost must be. Hope you're okay! :10742289:

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, hananistellata said:

Does anyone have a relative that suffers from dementia, Alzheimers or any related disease? What is it like? 

My grandmother had Alzheimer, she got it at an old age. I don't really know much about the disease though. First she got confused, stowed away things from the bathroom in the kitchen, bought quantities of food she never needed. Later she hardly spoke and answer the questions with yes or no depending on the intonation of the person who asked. You could make her laugh easily. She observed very much but more like a little child, like seeing everything for the first time without understand it. Until her late days she knew the words of Christmas songs.

22 hours ago, hananistellata said:

I remember watching a sort of interview with an early stage Alzheimer patient and she described the disease as "slowly turning back into a baby" which sounds a lot like what happened to your grandmother. It must be really scary. I can't imagine knowing that for the rest of my life my brain will do nothing but deteriorate and strip me from the memories that I treasured.

I also talked about Alzhiemer with my mom's friend whose mom has it, she is near the last stage and her case seems very tough. She would steal stuff from the house and hide it under her bed, she would start speaking Polish to her daughter's husband who can't understand the language, once she even drank clothe's detergent because she liked the colour. She recently started forgetting to go to the bathroom until it's too late so she wears diapers but sometimes she just takes them off or rips the out.

This is such a cruel disease... I wish I could help the people who suffer from it.  

I think that the suffering is more on the relatives' and friends' side.

If I happen to develop Alzheimer one day and be put in front of the TV screen, let me watch Yuzuru's performances over and over again. My heart will remember and I will be happy.

I'm grateful that after my grandmother was found to have AD, she seemed to still know me as a person she could trust, whether she remembered "me" or not. I think that was her heart remembering our connection and I'm glad that during the difficult times after she first was diagnosed, I never did or said anything to damage that.

I came here to share a random thought about it being over a year since the "Planking with Yuzu" challenge... I can't believe that was August 2020! 

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2021 at 10:27 PM, hananistellata said:

I need a little bit of help!

I've had pretty unhealthy music-listening habits for about two-ish years (or maybe more) so I decided to adopt some safety measures for my ears. For me to be strict and specific about those measures, I will need some help. Specifically what I need is someone to help me convert phone volume percentages to decibels, for example how many decibels 20% of the volume would be, how many decibels 70% would be, etc etc. I haven't been able to find any conversion charts or webpages so I would really appreaciate if someone happened to have something similar. That way I can keep myself bellow the recommended 85 decibels as well as count how much damage has already been done. 

Thank you!

Hello, sorry for the late reply, but in case of you still needing this then here you go...

I'd recommend checking the specification of your phone speaker/headset/earphone/other listening devices, and just calculate the volume manually (ie. (percentage×(max decibel-min decibel)) + min decibel ). Hope this helps. AFAIK most phones have a default limit of 70% volume for extended listening (~2 hours or more), and I think you could follow that guideline.

(Other solution would be to get a decibelmeter but I don't think you can easily buy one, especially if you don't measure volume often 😅).

Also don't forget to take breaks from listening with your earphone.

Hope this helps :grin:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...