Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

I hope this job will reveal a silver lining!

Something quite different, the Imperial House Agency is going to excavate in the Daisen Kofun. The 3D images during the videos are already mind-blowing. I hope Japanese people are comfortable with that (I doubt the Imperial House Agency would have accepted such a project if it was considered unacceptable) and we may learn much more than the identity of the person(s) buried there. (Well, if Y-DNA haplotype group can be found, we can guess it is the imperial one.)

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/10/10/national/science-health/japan-daisen-kofun-tomb-mound/

I lost my grandfather last weekend after he lost his battle to cancer. He had always been a great fighter, and lived through so many tough times in his long life -  the last days in nazi Germany at the end of WWII after he miraculously survived the months before the war ended, losing his citizenship after deportation due to ethnical cleansing after the war, revolution in 1956, decades of hardships in communism, a near fatal car accident in 1985 and then he even fought hard with his illness when he found out six years ago that he had cancer. In spite of all the difficulties, he was a very cheerful person, someone who was always looking forward with positivity and hope, and to his last days he was mentally fresh, and he didn't give up the change he'd get better.

I won't forget all the things he taught me and the nice memories we had together. I will miss him tremendously.

1 hour ago, sallycinnamon said:

I lost my grandfather last weekend after he lost his battle to cancer. He had always been a great fighter, and lived through so many tough times in his long life -  the last days in nazi Germany at the end of WWII after he miraculously survived the months before the war ended, losing his citizenship after deportation due to ethnical cleansing after the war, revolution in 1956, decades of hardships in communism, a near fatal car accident in 1985 and then he even fought hard with his illness when he found out six years ago that he had cancer. In spite of all the difficulties, he was a very cheerful person, someone who was always looking forward with positivity and hope, and to his last days he was mentally fresh, and he didn't give up the change he'd get better.

I won't forget all the things he taught me and the nice memories we had together. I will miss him tremendously.

My condolences to you and your family.:10742289:

19 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I'm so sorry for your loss, Sally ... Condolences and Fighting!

On 10/14/2020 at 11:31 PM, sallycinnamon said:

Please recieve my late condolences to you and your family dear @sallycinnamon <3 I'm  so sorry for your loss ... I send you all my love :grouphug: May your Grandfather rest in peace 🙏

May he always be a bright light in our hearts to keep fighting and hopeful for better days <3

J.

8 hours ago, 野生の花 Yasei no hana said:

Please recieve my late condolences to you and your family dear @sallycinnamon <3 I'm  so sorry for your loss ... I send you all my love :grouphug: May your Grandfather rest in peace 🙏

May he always be a bright light in our hearts to keep fighting and hopeful for better days <3

J.

It's very kind of you, thank you.

2020 is such a sad year. I hope it will end soon and we will have a better year in 2021...

The Technical University of Delft (Netherlands) invented a concrete with inner lime-producing bacteria, which can "heal" the concrete in case it is damaged.

https://www.tudelft.nl/en/2015/tu-delft/tu-delft-self-healing-bio-concrete-nominated-for-european-inventor-award/

I thought particularly about the consequences of earthquakes : a good number of the buildings which have to be demolished (or undergo extremely dear repairs), have to be so because of apparently minor fails in the concrete. So, this new concrete may help greatly reducing the consequences of an earthquake, limiting need for demolition to the most severely damaged buildings (with structural moves). (I suppose, you think like me about one particular family who had to leave their home which had been damaged beyond repair.)

At the moment, the maximum width of the repairable breaches is 0.8mm but one can already imagine sorts of "useful bridges" to allow them repairing wider ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I am living with someone who had an accident and sustained a leg injury which required surgery and we are now in the looong process of recovery.  Everyone is sympathetic, but it’s now the third month and this person is an impatient patient.  The recovery schedule is slow- it was spelled out in terms that it’s going to be 12 months minimum to full recovery - fretting and sulking about it won’t alter that, and it really erodes the sympathy quotient like nothing else.  The ‘I’m fine, let me hit the physio til I drop’ / ‘I feel terrible, peel me a grape ‘ cycle is wearing me down and due to the inability of the people in this country to follow public health guidelines no one can come and visit - so there’s no respite.

Today I have huge sympathy for the families of sports people - how much worse must they be when this sort of thing happens?