Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

In fact I think I should explain because it may be hard to understand for people who don't have Biblical references.

Orders from Italian Government:

1.The Italian government has ordered all sporting events to take place ‘without spectators’

2. Italians should try to remain 1 meter apart from each other.

(Carrying a tape measure is optional)

Advice from a few illustrious saints and a few notorious sinners.

— “Stay calm and don’t lose your head.” – St. John the Baptist

St John the Baptist was beheaded.

— “This is not the Apocalypse.” – St. John the Evangelist

St John the Evangelist wrote The Apocalypse.

— “Wash your hands often.” – Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate "washed his hands", meaning he disagreed with the death sentence to Jesus he was about to pronounce.

— “Avoid greeting people with a hug and kiss.” – Judas

Judas agreed with the Sanhedrin people, to whom he had "sold" Jesus, that he would hug and kiss Jesus first, to show them who he was.

— “Don’t touch your eyes, nose, mouth or any open wounds.”  – St. Thomas the Apostle

St Thomas the Apostle was absent when Jesus came back to his disciple after his Resurrection, and didn't believe them, saying he would believe in Jesus' Resurrection only if he would touch his wounds by himself.

— “Pets and other animals cannot spread this disease!”  – St. Francis of Assisi

St Francis Assisi was well known for his charisma with animals : particularly on an occasion preaching to birds, and on another, concluding a pact between a man-eater wolf and the city of Gubbio it would terrorise, of the wolf not attacking humans anymore, in change of humans feeding him and not attacking him.

— “Try to avoid going to China.” – Matteo Ricci — first Jesuit missionary to enter China 

but he was not a martyr, nor did he die in dire conditions, unlike St Francis Xavier, so I wonder why she chose him.

Above all, if someone tries to forcefully shake your hand, use the Pope Francis maneuver:  A good hard slap!

[Photo here of Pope Francis slapping a woman]

Then  apologize profusely and humbly the next day to all the world from your balcony,  followed by the Vatican’s chief spokesman explaining that:

“It was a simple question of hygiene”.

BoJo is being squirrely over banning pubs clubs and theatres - relying on people staying away, which they are for the most part, but it means the businesses can’t claim on their insurance :sigh:. How many of them will still be in business after the crisis?

35 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

BoJo is being squirrely over banning pubs clubs and theatres - relying on people staying away, which they are for the most part, but it means the businesses can’t claim on their insurance :sigh:. How many of them will still be in business after the crisis?

While, in France, even parks will be closed! :-(

Had emails today to tell me the Tate art gallery and the British Museum were closing because of the virus.  As far as I know both stayed open for the blitz and certainly during the various terrorist campaigns since.  Depressing times .

I don't know where to post this news. Sorry if this is not the right place.

https://www.deepl.com/translator have just added Japanese and Chinese to their list of languages. So they can translate from/to any of these languages now : English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, up to 5000 characters at a time.

Polish and Russian were added some months ago, and Japanese and Chinese today.

I find them much more accurate than other free automatic translators I have seen up to now. Not perfect, of course. I am likely to ask for translations from Japanese rather soon. ;-)

For your quarantine viewing pleasure 😏

I know this might seem to matter little to the entirety of Our Planet™'s content but after a few minutes going into this video I think of the pesky copystrike by *BS on the FS program videos we'd love to watch ofc the whole FS video upload by the third party (ie. anyone other than the broadcast rights holder) ordeal is in itself a shady business but that's another story! ;Þ ;þ :þ so in the end I thought,"...huh, why not share it here as well..." and this video helps me enlighten my self a bit on that (you know, the copyright thingy, and how it goes on YouTube).

I also hope to see a drastic change (alright maybe not so drastic but hopefully still a significant one) on the copyright law, because the way it works now is just... :disappointed::sick::yucky::smiley-sick006:

• 3 weeks later...

So this pandemic and all the sports cancellations, and all the videos of skaters and other athletes going mildly crazy on social media and posting what is in effect comedy acts and/or workout videos, has got me pondering:

What is the meaning and significance of a life in sports? There are so many talented, excellent, hardworking people the world over who are devoting themselves to the pursuit of what amounts to complicated forms of child's play, and so many more who are lamenting the temporary suspension of public displays of same...why? If there's one thing the pandemic has deeply underlined, it's that none of this is essential for survival, so why do we, as a species, do this? (And we've always done it since prehistoric times as far as I know)

Like art or music, sport seems to make the human animal tick...but what for?

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So this pandemic and all the sports cancellations, and all the videos of skaters and other athletes going mildly crazy on social media and posting what is in effect comedy acts and/or workout videos, has got me pondering:

What is the meaning and significance of a life in sports? There are so many talented, excellent, hardworking people the world over who are devoting themselves to the pursuit of what amounts to complicated forms of child's play, and so many more who are lamenting the temporary suspension of public displays of same...why? If there's one thing the pandemic has deeply underlined, it's that none of this is essential for survival, so why do we, as a species, do this? (And we've always done it since prehistoric times as far as I know)

Like art or music, sport seems to make the human animal tick...but what for?

I find a "utilitarian/useful use" helping human biology/medicine research, and a spiritual/moral/mental resource : St Paul advised to take model on athletes' grit, and to apply it to the service of God; more generally some athletes are real role models. Plus, in the case of Yuzuru Hanyu specifically, bringing beauty in a world where ugliness seems promoted.

For their own sake, I tend to think most get neither better, nor worse from their sports achievements, in the society we live in? I am more optimistic about Yuzuru Hanyu, but I wouldn't develop in this direction here because I would find it slippery.

16 minutes ago, monchan said:

THE STUDENT THAT I TUTORED GOT ACCEPTED INTO WASEDA I'M SO HAPPPPY :embSwan:

He will even study the major I taught him :cheer:

Congratulations! Waseda, that's not only an impressive achievement but obviously a sentimental connection as well.

It's so uplifting when a student continues to study the discipline you've taught them; I feel like at the very least, I "did no harm" to their interest in it and at best helped nurture their love for it.