Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

It is frustrating- I sort of pulled back from gymnastics when they reduced the size of the teams down to four and changed some of the rules - and of course it coincided with Uchimura getting repeated injuries, and there was no one I was as invested in as him, and some of those I did follow as well retired.  I didn’t stop watching, just didn’t follow it as avidly as I had.   Looks like the team size will go up again in the next quad, (new broom at FIG reversing the previous regimes ideas) and there are some exciting new gymnasts coming through, especially from Japan, so it might be that I’ll end up picking it up again and be nearly as interested as before for having relaxed my focus on it for a couple of years.  Might be the same with skating- who knows what might happen at ISU as the dinosaurs drop off?

On 10/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, axelnojutsu said:

I think I'm finally at the point that I'm checked out from FS if it's not about Yuzu. I haven't been watching competitions much or really at all at this point, I couldn't even bring myself to watch Kaori's or Waka's skates even though I love them because of the context of SkAm being so depressing...

Congratulations, ISU, I guess :knc_brian3:

*sigh* I understand — I personally try to savour the skaters' performance regardless of the scoring they receive, otherwise I would be consumed by the all-around frustration and wrath from the wonky judging going around — of course I want all of them to be scored fairly, it's only appropriate to have it so, but the recent developments of the scoring brouhaha made it harder to just look past the scores and just savour the performances.

Someone somewhere in the interwebs said that not caring for the scoring is a privilege (ie. because one doesn't have to worry that their favorites won't receive the short end of the judging stick) — I argue that it actually stemmed out more from sheer hopelessness (for me at least), the hopelessness that is the realization that the darned impotent judging corps won't meaningfully change even after numerous complaints from us skating fans online, the realization that the changes, if there are ever any, always happen at a glacial pace, and unfortunately not even thought out with the proper principles or ideals, which resulted in the sloppy mess that is the current state of the judging, and the knowledge that even striving for the best ideal might not even bring the expected results for the skaters who deserve them. I want to support the skaters I love watching, and in order to do so I need to be able to feel enthusiastic about the performances. (...which is why, I try not to mind the scoring too much, especially not in the heat of the moment...)

I definitely don't intend to diminish the importance of raising awareness of the dodgy, impotent judging by (rightfully) complaining whenever a skater is not scored properly (I certainly support that, even if I am close to silent for most of the time), but at this point we all — all those who care for the bare decency of properly judging the skaters by what they actually show on ice — definitely need to move past the point of raising awareness, it's time for a concrete, organized effort to push ISU to be more transparent and faithful to the ideals they themselves have written in the handbook. This needs structured, systemic effort, but that's the only way to go, if we don't want to see the current state of the judging devolved even further.

I realize that my way of facing this problem can only last for so long. But for now I choose not to lose hope, at the very least...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to do my makeup, and now my skin just looks horrible, and I don't know if it actually looks that bad or I'm just noticing things I would otherwise ignore, because ignoring them now would make me feel like I'm inflating my skin's GOE/PCS like the judges' do to certain skaters. :laughing: Oh well, the makeup covered it fine, so no big deal either way.

Corrupt judging: messing with Yuzu's scores and my skin. :laughing:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

....so I just came back home from watching Star Wars Episode IX (despite lots of unfavorable fan reviews :xD:) — I must say I am glad that I decided to go watch it (...worth every penny!:space:)

I saw it on Saturday, and I felt the same. It has lots of flaws but it ends properly and satisfyingly. Plus (keeping this very general so as to not spoil it for anyone) Adam Driver does something amazing but very subtle with his physical acting in the ending parts that is just :chef's kiss: perfect!

It hasn't even been 24 hours yet and I already received news about the death of a friend's child and the illness of someone I really care about (thankfully it doesn't seem too serious)..

Really 2020? you can't let me live the illusion that you would be better than your predecessor for at least few days  :smiley-angry023: