Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

On 4/24/2019 at 4:16 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

Secondly, while the Catholic Church has amassed a lot of material wealth over the years, most of it isn't very liquid. If the Church were to pick up the tab for a billion-dollar restoration of Notre Dame, they'd have to pay for it by selling some other cultural treasure instead, most likely.

Uh... naaah. Just no. The Catholic Church has money up inside their ears, to put it courteously. It's just their typical behavior that they never have to be the ones paying anything. If you have no idea how many money they steal from Italy each year, you better look it up. 
In any case, as it was explained to me Notre Dame was falling apart since some time ago. It was given in custody to the Catholic Church by the French government. But it was under the Catholic Church's responsability, because they were the ones using it and making profit out of it. 

3 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Uh... naaah. Just no. The Catholic Church has money up inside their ears, to put it courteously. It's just their typical behavior that they never have to be the ones paying anything. If you have no idea how many money they steal from Italy each year, you better look it up. 
In any case, as it was explained to me Notre Dame was falling apart since some time ago. It was given in custody to the Catholic Church by the French government. But it was under the Catholic Church's responsability, because they were the ones using it and making profit out of it. 

My understanding is that Notre Dame is firmly the property of the French Cultural Ministry and that the Church is merely a tenant of the place. 

Anyway if you're referring to the Vatican financial mess, yes that is a scandal but it has no relationship whatsoever to how a church repair in another country would be paid for. The reality is that if the Catholic Church paid for the Notre Dame restoration, the money would be raised off the backs of the parishioners at Notre Dame, and maybe throughout France, not paid for by the corrupt Italian Mafia stooges in the Vatican bank and the priesthood. It's not palatable but that's just how it is. The Church isn't a corporation in that sense; the money doesn't all go into one big pool and then flow out again around the world. Local parishes are responsible to pay for the repair and upkeep of their own church buildings. (I should know, my own parish church just paid off a loan it had to take out to fix the roof, and it had to be paid from parishioner donations - the Vatican didn't send us money like magic even our own diocese didn't help us out.)

I say again, it's easy to argue that Pineault and the other billionaires who donated for the restoration could have done better things with the money, maybe have too much money, and are maybe being self-serving, but their donations are saving the rest of France from having to pay for this through taxes or fundraising. So it's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't bother me at all that some French billionaires choose to use their money this way; it's their money and their choice. 

Cheese cake cheese cake I want cheese cake!!

This is my absolute fav cooking/ ASMR channel of YT. I love everything that this person makes and the sound of butter mixing or chopping chocolate is so soothing...

@Sombreuil Are you prepared for mayhem in your house? I hope all bad things have taken a break because it would be a huge pity if anything put a dampener on the run-up to the final! Maybe the family could return the favour of me rooting for The Team by sending some raucous positivity for Yuzu's ankle. :D 

Just got back from a week away seeing old friends, elderly relatives and attending a lovely wedding.  It was really nice to see a bride and groom and their parents enjoying the day rather than freaking out over every little detail which was what happened at the last wedding I went to.  Everyone survived our absence and it did us good to get away.  The West Country is beautiful in spring - lush hedgerows full of bluebells, campion, and hawthorn blossom.

The first leg had to be watched on an iPad in a holiday cottage with fellow fans which put a bit of a damper on that day ( coincidentally the only wet day of our week away).  The home leg husband and no 2 son were at the match yelling themselves hoarse to the point where they could hardly speak at work next day.  Apparently loads of people were on their mobile phones booking flights as they left the ground.  They are currently working themselves up over Sundays fixtures and planning a tv party for June 1st.  They’re going to be exhausted by then.  Given the amount of alcohol and sympathy I’ve been doling out Kohei and Yuzu had better constantly be in their prayers once they recover from this rollercoaster 🎢 - they can redirect the energy they’ve been sending to their injured strikers.

My piano lessons have been thrown out by holiday and now by piano exam extra panic lessons, for which we oldies are always willing to make space but I’m planning to unleash my Hanyu book on my piano teacher next lesson - think I’d better take my iPad and show her Olympic  Fred or she’ll flip over the music cut!

Anyone living or going to be in NYC on Weds 5/15: I have a ticket for 7:30 PM for a ballet (Harlequinade performed by the American Ballet Theater) in the Met Opera. I won't be able to make it because of work so if anyone wants it LMK QUICK!! I'll have to mail it. I paid $80 for it but you can just pay shipping which will probably be like $5 and will hopefully get there in 1-2 days if you're also in NYC. 

It's in the dress circle, first row, so it should be a good seat! :) 

16 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

My mother got green tea as a present from a Japanese friend but we don't understand what's written on it and how to prepare it (I haven't opened the bag yet :)). Could someone who speaks Japanese please help me to translate what's written on it? :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:

Hide contents

1paIfZs.jpg

76lsR5P.jpg

0.5g per 1 cup (100cc), 4-5g per 1L

dissolve as you like. after opening preserve it with the zipper tightly closed in the fridge. 

The last sentence I’m not clear on what exactly it means but it’s something about using a tea strainer?

3 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

0.5g per 1 cup (100cc), 4-5g per 1L

dissolve as you like. after opening preserve it with the zipper tightly closed in the fridge. 

The last sentence I’m not clear on what exactly it means but it’s something about using a tea strainer?

Thank you very much! :) I tried it and it is delicious. It's fine tea powder and I needed paper tea strainer (that is like a filter). :birgits-tired-coffee-smiley-face:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know what, maybe instead of presiding over figure skating the ISU should preside over this *sport* instead :xD:

But that's not the only newsworthy thing, this office chair race was first held in the Hanyu town, Saitama... Yes, that Hanyu town, Hanyu (羽生) town!! :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::LOL:

(...and it has been held for 10 years no less! :rofl::rofl::rofl:)

This news is just so hilarious in many levels :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

On 5/31/2019 at 10:07 AM, WinForPooh said:

Good Omens dropped today and it's just... I'd better hydrate A LOT. Pterry, what a loss you are to the world that could sorely use you right about now! 

GNU Terry Pratchett. 

I wish he’d been a skating fan - imagine a book like ‘Unseen Academicals’ but about the ISU, and skating whilst American/Canadian/ Russian, and costumes and commentators and Olympics.....

1 hour ago, Sombreuil said:

I wish he’d been a skating fan - imagine a book like ‘Unseen Academicals’ but about the ISU, and skating whilst American/Canadian/ Russian, and costumes and commentators and Olympics.....

I don't think he was much of a football fan either, if only skating was more of a thing in England... If anybody had given him a heads up on just what it's like inside the sport, he might have considered it maybe. Ah well. Good Omens was done well. He would've been happy. 

How did your piano exams go?