Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

Anyone know where I should go when faced with some troublesome FS Stalker (maybe a Nathan Stan but unsure) who has been misquoting me on Youtube and apparently comes to the Planet to watch our convos? Looking for advice? I honestly don't know what forum to post this under and I don't know what to do really? 

On 4/22/2019 at 7:02 AM, LourdesMoon said:

Anyone know where I should go when faced with some troublesome FS Stalker (maybe a Nathan Stan but unsure) who has been misquoting me on Youtube and apparently comes to the Planet to watch our convos? Looking for advice? I honestly don't know what forum to post this under and I don't know what to do really? 

Whoa, that's weird! Misquoting you on Youtube? Like they're putting your comments in a video? 

On 4/17/2019 at 10:47 PM, WinForPooh said:

Hide contents

Read that the first few hundred million dollars were pledged by just a handful of billionaires. I am very glad the Cathedral will be restored, of course it should be. But I doubt the Catholic Church needs that much help in donations, they're one of the richest organisations in the world! It's pretty disheartening to really see that there are a few people in the world with enough wealth to make a real difference to so many things (not as tax breaks! just to help because they have more money than anybody could possibly spend in three lifetimes!) and basically just choose not to. I mean, they're well within their rights to not do anything about anything, I suppose, but that does make them particularly unempathetic people. The fact that so much of the world's resources seems to end up disproportionately concentrated in the hands of such people makes you think. Even the super rich people who're hailed as philanthropists don't give anywhere as much as regular folks do if you consider what they give as a percentage of what they have. 

About this - for starters, Notre Dame is actually the property of the French Ministry of Culture, and not of the Catholic Church. So any restoration work would ultimately have been paid for by the French taxpayer. Which means that the money being donated by the French billionaires who have it to spare is saving the French taxpayers a lot of future pain. So there's that. 

Secondly, while the Catholic Church has amassed a lot of material wealth over the years, most of it isn't very liquid. If the Church were to pick up the tab for a billion-dollar restoration of Notre Dame, they'd have to pay for it by selling some other cultural treasure instead, most likely. Or sell some small parish churches or something. Or take up a collection from the congregation, which means it's the little guy paying again. Not really much of an option when you look at it that way. 

Frankly, those billionaires donating the money is the best thing that could have happened - it spares the French government a serious drain of cash. Yes there are more worthy causes, but the poor you will always have with you, you (or anyone) can donate for them all the time. Drag your feet on restoring something like Notre Dame, and you'll have nothing but a pile of rubble left, in very short order, and that would be even more tragic than the fire. 

On 4/22/2019 at 4:32 PM, LourdesMoon said:

Maybe one of the admins can help you find who they are/what their ip is/block the ip from forum if you can compare timestamps of your comments and who was lurking on PH then? Other than that, check simple variations of their YouTube handle on twitter/other forums and you might be able to find them and tell them you know it's them, screenshot any PMs they might send you just in case.

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

About this - for starters, Notre Dame is actually the property of the French Ministry of Culture, and not of the Catholic Church. So any restoration work would ultimately have been paid for by the French taxpayer. Which means that the money being donated by the French billionaires who have it to spare is saving the French taxpayers a lot of future pain. So there's that. 

Secondly, while the Catholic Church has amassed a lot of material wealth over the years, most of it isn't very liquid. If the Church were to pick up the tab for a billion-dollar restoration of Notre Dame, they'd have to pay for it by selling some other cultural treasure instead, most likely. Or sell some small parish churches or something. Or take up a collection from the congregation, which means it's the little guy paying again. Not really much of an option when you look at it that way. 

Frankly, those billionaires donating the money is the best thing that could have happened - it spares the French government a serious drain of cash. Yes there are more worthy causes, but the poor you will always have with you, you (or anyone) can donate for them all the time. Drag your feet on restoring something like Notre Dame, and you'll have nothing but a pile of rubble left, in very short order, and that would be even more tragic than the fire. 

I don’t think anyone is saying giving money to restore notre dame is bad just that human lives should be more important than a building and yet plenty of causes don’t get a fraction of the attention or money that this has.

these billionaires could do both you know and still have a lovely lush life just saying.

1 hour ago, axelnojutsu said:

I don’t think anyone is saying giving money to restore notre dame is bad just that human lives should be more important than a building and yet plenty of causes don’t get a fraction of the attention or money that this has.

these billionaires could do both you know and still have a lovely lush life just saying.

One of them does. Pineault has a charitable foundation. But they're discreet about it. 

5 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Maybe one of the admins can help you find who they are/what their ip is/block the ip from forum if you can compare timestamps of your comments and who was lurking on PH then? Other than that, check simple variations of their YouTube handle on twitter/other forums and you might be able to find them and tell them you know it's them, screenshot any PMs they might send you just in case.

To anyone who saw my message, thanks so much for responding. Turns out this person has since deleted their YouTube comments in relation/response to me and I think that says enough about them as a person as well as the validity of their statements. I was already contacted and have since calmed down, but when it first started I had gotten a bit flustered, especially since this person blatantly said they came on PH to read my comments and had seen/ mentioned tweets from weeks ago when they misquoted me. But I am simply not going to engage anymore...my responses to them were opposing everything they claimed so I think I've said my part. Bullies will be bullies. 

3 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

And then some, they literally could not spend all the money they have in a lifetime even if they tried really hard. The only way they'd even notice a couple of hundred million missing from their portfolio is if they actually looked at the numbers in their portfolio, they wouldn't feel the difference in any real life terms at all. I cannot imagine having that much and not giving more, most regular people who manage to pay the bills and have some leftover for an emergency fund and some extra spending money give far more of a percentage of their income to help people. Walt Disney pledged millions to the rebuilding, and they're worth so much money, but they have employees on such low wages that they're homeless. There are people who can afford to do so much more without even noticing the difference, forget feeling a pinch, and they just... don't. I don't understand it at all. (The Disney heiress is quite cool though, she's legally not allowed to divest from many of the investments so she donates the proceedings from a lot of it and actively lobbies to enforce policies that would make billionaires more productive members of society, not just productive for their bank balance and investment portfolios.)

Again, they are all well within their rights to do whatever they want with all of it. I just don't understand how they make these choices and kinda judge them for it. I guess that's why I'll never be rich like that, I don't have the attitude or the understanding for that level of hoarding, even if I am SUCH a hoarder of apparently useless things that might come in handy someday. :D 

19 minutes ago, LourdesMoon said:

To anyone who saw my message, thanks so much for responding. Turns out this person has since deleted their YouTube comments in relation/response to me and I think that says enough about them as a person as well as the validity of their statements. I was already contacted and have since calmed down, but when it first started I had gotten a bit flustered, especially since this person blatantly said they came on PH to read my comments and had seen/ mentioned tweets from weeks ago when they misquoted me. But I am simply not going to engage anymore...my responses to them were opposing everything they claimed so I think I've said my part. Bullies will be bullies. 

Good. Bullies and trolls will do their thing, if we can't find out who they are, or at least other online handles they have so that they will have to face some kind of accountability even if only on social media, we can't do much.

But if it gets bad and they tell you that they have been lurking here, there might be ways to at least narrow down options and find who they are on twitter.

If you're still lurking, troll, you'd better understand this: if you use actual facts or direct quotes without misrepresentation, cool, you do that. If you lie or bully a satellite elsewhere, remember that we're not locked out of social media platforms and we can use the truth to counter you, in numbers. And we will. 

11 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Oh dear, this only drives the point home that athletes need proper knowledge of nutritional science well of course the applied side of it in order to take care of their physical condition properly :smiley-scared001:. Here's to more athletes recognizing this as soon as possible...

Watched episode 3 of Game of Thrones... totally mesmerized.... and that music as the Night King heads towards Bran... awesome stuff.. hopefully someone skates to it someday ... dramatic, nuanced, building to the end... love it. I am in love with that show and the music is brilliant. I don't get HBO so I watched clips on YT at 4am just before I got  up for work.... couldn't focus all day... and now I"m exhausted and want to go to bed but I have to finish my taxes by midnight tomorrow.... and pay them!! mOre chocolate and cherrry coke on tap....

5 hours ago, liv said:

Watched episode 3 of Game of Thrones... totally mesmerized.... and that music as the Night King heads towards Bran... awesome stuff.. hopefully someone skates to it someday ... dramatic, nuanced, building to the end... love it. I am in love with that show and the music is brilliant. I don't get HBO so I watched clips on YT at 4am just before I got  up for work.... couldn't focus all day... and now I"m exhausted and want to go to bed but I have to finish my taxes by midnight tomorrow.... and pay them!! mOre chocolate and cherrry coke on tap....

I wasn't happy with some of the decisions in the episode itself but I never thought of the potential of the music for FS. WOW it would be epic indeed!