Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

I first saw the news on instagram, and then I saw the news on other SNS I am on as well — it is so heart-wrenching just to think of it — I hope everyone in the vicinity of Notre Dame is safe...

12 minutes ago, Yume said:

I wonder if they will be able to save the building.

Notre Dame has been rebuilt several times (most recently in 19th century). It can be rebuilt again, I am sure, it's just that, there are other things in the cathedral that might be irretrievable due to the fire... ._.

53 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

:cry: This is awful ... Such an incredible loss ...

The organ was beautiful and was really one of the grandest organs in the worlds.

I have just read that it was built in the late 18th century but was completely renovated several times since then. Hopefully they'll be able to build a new one (it is possible to build very good new organs). However, the window glasses may be irreplaceable, especially the oldest one. :sad4:

According to the bbc Laurent Nunez says that the shell of the building including the north tower have been saved, which was in doubt mid evening and a lot of the artwork was retrieved.  If they restore it, and surely they will, this American professors work will be an invaluable resource.  Such a tragedy...

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/06/150622-andrew-tallon-notre-dame-cathedral-laser-scan-art-history-medieval-gothic/

My heart hurts about Notre Dame... I am not religious, but the architecture, windows, statues, symbolism, history, etc..... the poor grand old dame!!! Watching it on tv, oy, it really resonates with me....

I was so happy to hear that they saved the bell towers too.... we need quasimodo to have his towers....

Under spoiler because it's sad!

Spoiler

Yesterday was the fifth anniversary of the Sewol tragedy in South Korea. I didn't know anything about this disaster because I think at the time there wasn't a lot of information about it in Italy and I never watch the news anyways. It was crushing to read about it and I feel like I'm still processing it. It is not hard to believe that after that incident South Korea was not the same anymore, and will never be the same. 

There was a similar incident in Italy some years ago, in which incompetence brought a ship down and 30 people with it. Somehow when there is incompetence involved, I get too angry and I cannot accept what happened at all. It is not simply an incident then. It is lack of humanity. 

I don't believe in religion, so I don't believe in prayers and I don't believe that the dead people come back. But I believe in humanity, in heroes who saved a lot of lives while risking their own, and I believe that life is a beautiful thing who should be cherished while loving others and loving ourselves. 

I believe this is also what Yuzuru tries to convey every time he skates, for what it's worth, because he is a survivor himself.

Already almost one billion given to rebuild notre dame, in just two days. It's great, but if the same thing was done for others things more human (i don't know, children starved around the world, natural disaster...) it would be greater.

2 minutes ago, Yume said:

Already almost one billion given to rebuild notre dame, in just two days. It's great, but if the same thing was done for others things more human (i don't know, children starved around the world, natural disaster...) it would be greater.

This is pretty much what no 2 son said when he came in this evening but with a ton of bad language mixed in - less prestige in those things I suppose...

On 4/16/2019 at 1:20 AM, kaeryth said:

It's good to hear that part of the first news weren't true. The reconstruction will take years, maybe even decades but I am hopeful that once the cathedral will be nice again - even though it won't be the same again.

One of my good friends from Paris told me that her grandmother lives next to the cathedral and they're all very saddened by what happened. They used to go the cathedral often, the atmosphere in it has always been very peaceful and comforting for my friend. I am sure many French people felt the same about it. It was a beautiful building, one of the oldest and nicest cathedrals in Europe and a symbol of France.

5 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

This is pretty much what no 2 son said when he came in this evening but with a ton of bad language mixed in - less prestige in those things I suppose...

Spoiler

Read that the first few hundred million dollars were pledged by just a handful of billionaires. I am very glad the Cathedral will be restored, of course it should be. But I doubt the Catholic Church needs that much help in donations, they're one of the richest organisations in the world! It's pretty disheartening to really see that there are a few people in the world with enough wealth to make a real difference to so many things (not as tax breaks! just to help because they have more money than anybody could possibly spend in three lifetimes!) and basically just choose not to. I mean, they're well within their rights to not do anything about anything, I suppose, but that does make them particularly unempathetic people. The fact that so much of the world's resources seems to end up disproportionately concentrated in the hands of such people makes you think. Even the super rich people who're hailed as philanthropists don't give anywhere as much as regular folks do if you consider what they give as a percentage of what they have. 

Nice to meet you out there!

I'm really glad that I've found this forum today because I can definitely say that it's one of the best things which has happened to me for a long time ...

I've been watching figure skating for a couple of weeks now, but I'm completely in love, to be honest! And I cannot be happier or more inspired as well.

It would be great if you reach out to me and just talk or share your favorite video/moment with Hanyu :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow: 

I'm 19 yo from Russia xx