Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

49 minutes ago, Xen said:

Okay...

*tries to distribute about 20% rain to everyone that requested*

Seriously today, was again, full sun and heavy rain, at the same time.

At least the rain can try to clear up the air a bit, right? I can't imagine how it must be with heavy pollution + this kind of heat... or maybe I can, it's not like Rome is much better off than Chinese cities. But I guess we do have on average 10 million people less than big urban cities there, so. 
The air is really one of the things that left an impression on me during my trip to China. That and bakeries with delicious sweet bread. Oh yeah. 

38 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

At least the rain can try to clear up the air a bit, right? I can't imagine how it must be with heavy pollution + this kind of heat... or maybe I can, it's not like Rome is much better off than Chinese cities. But I guess we do have on average 10 million people less than big urban cities there, so. 
The air is really one of the things that left an impression on me during my trip to China. That and bakeries with delicious sweet bread. Oh yeah. 

The pollution in China can be really bad, but they are trying to clean stuff up. In case anyone is wondering about Beijing, I think they're moving all the factories away sometime to ensure that air condition is better for Olympics. In fact for a lot of cities, they are steadily doing that-but that also creates another issue for where the factories move. 

My city btw, is about 8 million people. 

I'm amused you liked the sweet bread here...I don't always enjoy the super soft bread in China, and generally prefer the harder breads (like sour dough) which surprises my colleagues and friends. They think it's very "western" of me, especially if I pair it up with salads and soups for lunch. Which I find more appetizing in the summer than eating warm food. 

Did you chance upon any good bakeries when you were in China last time? Both Shanghai and Beijing should have plenty of good bakeries. 

13 minutes ago, Xen said:

The pollution in China can be really bad, but they are trying to clean stuff up. In case anyone is wondering about Beijing, I think they're moving all the factories away sometime to ensure that air condition is better for Olympics. In fact for a lot of cities, they are steadily doing that-but that also creates another issue for where the factories move. 

My city btw, is about 8 million people. 

I'm amused you liked the sweet bread here...I don't always enjoy the super soft bread in China, and generally prefer the harder breads (like sour dough) which surprises my colleagues and friends. They think it's very "western" of me, especially if I pair it up with salads and soups for lunch. Which I find more appetizing in the summer than eating warm food. 

Did you chance upon any good bakeries when you were in China last time? Both Shanghai and Beijing should have plenty of good bakeries. 

I loved all kinds of Chinese sweets, because they were very different from here. Very simple, and energetic, dense and not too sweet (beans and potatoes and eggs are not usual ingredients for sweets here, but I really love them). I also loved the simple fried sweet white "pancake" that I often found served on the street, fried on the spot. Very light and fluffy. 

I also loved everything matcha since here we don't have it. And yes, it is very western of you to like the sour dough bread, it's the bread we eat every day! At my home we don't even buy it so often, because my dad makes it at least once per week. I'm not a big fan of bread though, unless it's bread + hazelnut spread. I can die off of that. 

Your city is about double the population of Rome, so it's not so bad... I remember being in cities with +15 million people. Also I remember suffering from the pollution especially in the southern cities, so Shenzen and Guangzhou. The hot air made it all the more unsufferable. 

It's very good that they are planning years ahead to clear up the air in Beijing. I guess the Olympics are a good excuse, but citizens need that too, Olys or not.

From my experience, we were a group of 60 people and each and everyone of us had a throatache, or a cold, or trouble with the pollution during the first weeks of stay, I guess it could have been for other reasons too (lots of trasportation and changing cities every day), but I wonder how would Athletes deal with that kind of thing... so yeah, great idea. 

I'm going on a Euro trip with friends during winter and planning is so stressful :facepalm: We've only got 2 weeks to spare but Europe is just so massive and there's so much to do that I'm feeling super overwhelmed :13877886:

I was thinking we could do Paris + Italy (Florence, Rome and maybe Venice) in that time but even that looks like it's going to be a bit rushed. 

Also recently found out that BTS the kpop group is going to be on tour while I'll be in Japan so I'm equal parts excited and terrified (mainly because the ticket application process is really tricky)! They came to my city twice and both times I couldn't see them so I'm over the moon this opportunity popped up! 

4 минуты назад, dotsquare сказал:

I'm going on a Euro trip with friends during winter and planning is so stressful :facepalm: We've only got 2 weeks to spare but Europe is just so massive and there's so much to do that I'm feeling super overwhelmed :13877886:

I was thinking we could do Paris + Italy (Florence, Rome and maybe Venice) in that time but even that looks like it's going to be a bit rushed. 

Also recently found out that BTS the kpop group is going to be on tour while I'll be in Japan so I'm equal parts excited and terrified (mainly because the ticket application process is really tricky)! They came to my city twice and both times I couldn't see them so I'm over the moon this opportunity popped up! 

Sounds like you are going to have a great time! Don't worry, it will be alright!

I would say, two weeks for Paris + Italy looks ok for me. I had one week Rome + Florence trip a couple of years ago and was quite satisfied. Just don't be hard on yourself while planning (my own mistake every time): one or two places to visit per day and a lot of good walking-sightseeing. Winter in Paris can be pretty unpleasant (+5 Celsius and rain), but the city is still beautiful and has a lot of indoor places to appreciate:-)

As long as people are putting out their travel plans....has anyone been to Hokkaido? That is my target goal for next year, in June. We hope to avoid the usual energy-sapping humidity and heat of Japanese summer by going to the north. Sendai may possibly be in our plans, so if anyone has some sightseeing tips for the Tohoku area that would be great, too! 

42 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

I wish you luck in getting tickets. They’re worst then getting Yuzu competition tickets. This one fansite actually brought one of them scalped one for 5 grand. :eeking:

40 minutes ago, Mastyaeva said:

Sounds like you are going to have a great time! Don't worry, it will be alright!

I would say, two weeks for Paris + Italy looks ok for me. I had one week Rome + Florence trip a couple of years ago and was quite satisfied. Just don't be hard on yourself while planning (my own mistake every time): one or two places to visit per day and a lot of good walking-sightseeing. Winter in Paris can be pretty unpleasant (+5 Celsius and rain), but the city is still beautiful and has a lot of indoor places to appreciate:-)

Thanks for the assurance- I really needed it! :7938863: I definitely need to take trip planning less seriously :laughing:

22 minutes ago, Sammie said:

I wish you luck in getting tickets. They’re worst then getting Yuzu competition tickets. This one fansite actually brought one of them scalped one for 5 grand. :eeking:

Oh gosh, really? :59227c768286a__s: I figured since there's a lottery system it would be easier since there's no click frenzy- you just apply and hope for the best. I heard getting tickets for their US and Europe dates was absolutely horrible :/ Thanks for sending good vibes! 

@Whee1000 yeah I've been to sapporo. It's a grid city , quite modern, only built up early 1900s.

It reminded me of Nagoya crossed with Manhattan, but much less people.

I went in August, weather was pleasant, way cooler than the rest of Japan.

The rest of Hokkaido is like Alaska or Orgeon. Beautiful nature, must visit, and quite non-Japanese.

Have fun travelling!

I have gone back to my neglected violin since 3 days and it's amazing how much I've lost, lol. I haven't been seriously studying for almost a year, so I'm patiently going back to the basics, technique, bow and sound cleanliness. It's frustrating but what can you do. I cannot give it up. I'm looking at sheets of pieces I was studying in my last year of high school and if I tried to tackle those I think I would get reported from my neighbors for disturbance HAHAHA 

On 8/3/2018 at 6:07 PM, wingman said:

@Whee1000 yeah I've been to sapporo. It's a grid city , quite modern, only built up early 1900s.

It reminded me of Nagoya crossed with Manhattan, but much less people.

I went in August, weather was pleasant, way cooler than the rest of Japan.

The rest of Hokkaido is like Alaska or Orgeon. Beautiful nature, must visit, and quite non-Japanese.

Have fun travelling!

@wingman Thanks, we are looking forward to seeing the countryside and trying out the famous Hokkaido milk! Did you take a train or bus to get around, or did you rent a car?  We’re wondering how to get around! :dancingpooh: