Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

19 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

So, this monday I might just kill my university teachers. 

On monday I have my last two exams of the session, nothing major, just my first fudging Japanese exam and English. And they put them at the same time in different rooms. Don't ask me why they are so stupid and they cannot see that there are many students that have to take both exams. 

I was desperate also because I tried to talk with my fellow students about this and no one seemed to care? Everyone was like 'well, I'll only take one of them, whatever'. Ugh. I hate everyone. 

Thus, I sent an e-mail to my teachers asking them if they would let me do both exams. Basically, since Japanese's exam lasts 3 hours and English exam lasts 1 hour, I will sacrifice one hour of Japanese exam to go and do the English exam. The exams will be pretty easy for my level anyways, but. Stress. 

If they say no, I might just hate them for life. I've sacrificed every little bit of free time I had these days to prepare 2 exams + working every day. I can't. 

Wow that's terrible! I hope it works out for you, but it's terrible that you have to make it work like that.

But all the best, too. Fingers crossed! 

:peekapooh:I have an interview this week and even though I've had interviews in the past (and actually got the job still a mystery how) I'm still very nervous. Does anyone have tips they use in interviews - or if you've interviewed someone what do you look for? :9:

5 minutes ago, Tee said:

:peekapooh:I have an interview this week and even though I've had interviews in the past (and actually got the job still a mystery how) I'm still very nervous. Does anyone have tips they use in interviews - or if you've interviewed someone what do you look for? :9:

頑張れ!I was nervous for my internship interview too, but just keeping in mind that your answer fits into the question and you are able to make a point logically and articulately. Just being brave and calm to express your own idea and convince the interviewer you are a compatible candidate, then everything would be fine! Good luck to you and hope you can get a good result!

@Tee It varies wildly from one job to another. My tips would be:

* read the job description and mentally prepare a blurb (30 seconds) to sell yourself *according to the ad*

Be clear on what your strengths are (ie: what sets you apart), and what the jobs require

eg: you're very on-time, or responsible, dilligent, or your resume fits perfectly, you have tonnes of experience etc.

But better, don't just say "I'm a good leader", it's better to follow up with evidence ("as you can see in my resume, I am the president for so and so club during university, which has 50+ members etc")

* have a practice interview (ideally with someone in the industry / someone with experience in this position)

* ask for experience from others with this job (most people are willing to help and give very good tips!)

Finally, take notes after the interview (what you thought were good/bad, what the tough questions are etc), and regardless whether you get the job or not, ask for feedback after they told you the outcome. This way you can be more prepared for the next one.

Good  luck!

The above posts are excellent. I agree, know not only your professional strengths but your personal ones as well. 

Just went to a management seminar and many folks seem to agree that skills can be taught, but “fit” (as in meshing with your environment) cannot. So the more you know about yourself the more you can see if this job will be for you.

A thank you note may seem an old fashioned bit of etiquette but it shows you attend to detail...and know etiquette!

Best of luck! 

Does anyone maybe know how best to support the people in need after the terrible rain in Japan? It seems every time I look at the news there’s more destruction and deaths reported and I just wish I could do something to help...

1 hour ago, axelnojutsu said:

Does anyone maybe know how best to support the people in need after the terrible rain in Japan? It seems every time I look at the news there’s more destruction and deaths reported and I just wish I could do something to help...

you can spread the word or donate if you can. I found this http://www.jrc.or.jp/press/180709_005335.html but I don't know if it's only domestic and couldn't find the english page on the website. I also found this one https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180709/p2a/00m/0na/015000c it is only domestic because it's via mail but the site lists other organisations that accept donations online.

1 minute ago, Tee said:

you can spread the word or donate if you can. I found this http://www.jrc.or.jp/press/180709_005335.html but I don't know if it's only domestic and couldn't find the english page on the website. I also found this one https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20180709/p2a/00m/0na/015000c it is only domestic because it's via mail but the site lists other organisations that accept donations online.

Thank you!

15 hours ago, Tee said:

Times like these I wish I had a way with words like Yuzu does.

@Anzi @wingman @Whee1000 Thank you very much for all of the advice, I'll take everything into account! You've given me confidence that I hope carries on to the interview later. 頑張る! :hachimaki: 

Don't forget to send an 'it was a pleasure to meet you and *whoever else you met* and a privilege to interview for *position* at *company*, hope that you will get the opportunity to work at *company* and experience *whatever it is that you want to do* and learn from *many experienced and brilliant people*. I believe I could learn and contribute, blah blah, if there are any follow-up questions please do email me' email after it's done! Sometimes the relief of having it over can send such things out of your brain, but this is important.

@Murieleirum How could they even let that happen??? :gaah: Organizing skills literally to die for. You kill both of those tests gurl.

Anw, today the "handmade" phone case arrived. My friend drew it specially for me so I can put it in the back of my transparent case. But by accident the painting was ruined, so we had to look for an online store and send them the picture of the painting for custom made. She was so upset because it came out not as clear and pretty, and it was ment for my early bday present :1:

We're in 2 different countries so it was hard to arrange things, but still I appreciate all her dedication <3 

36912963_1118501871640963_80759530424841

35 minutes ago, VyVy99 said:

@Murieleirum How could they even let that happen??? :gaah: Organizing skills literally to die for. You kill both of those tests gurl.

Anw, today the "handmade" phone case arrived. My friend drew it specially for me so I can put it in the back of my transparent case. But by accident the painting was ruined, so we had to look for an online store and send them the picture of the painting for custom made. She was so upset because it came out not as clear and pretty, and it was ment for my early bday present :1:

We're in 2 different countries so it was hard to arrange things, but still I appreciate all her dedication <3 

36912963_1118501871640963_80759530424841

it still looks super pretty :tumblr_inline_mqt4gvxxtJ1qz4rgp:

3 hours ago, VyVy99 said:

@Murieleirum How could they even let that happen??? :gaah: Organizing skills literally to die for. You kill both of those tests gurl

You don't understand, they didn't even apologize! They wrote to me that we knew it could happen so it was our fault that we didn't choose other dates for the exams (there was only another one and half of us were busy doing other exams). 

In the end, I did the exams, I was the only student (in over 300 people) who did both on the same day, and they went pretty well I'd say. Not as perfectly as I am used to, but because of reasons that don't have to do with me hurrying to go take the second exam. 

Also, me and my Japanese teacher do not share the same idea of 'knowing how to translate' a language. She wanted the translation to be done as literal as possible - even if it sounds incorrect or weird in Italian. But I simply do not agree. Being able to translate the language doesn't mean knowing the dictionary definition of each word - it means getting the sense, the meaning out of a phrase, that is as close as possible to the meaning that the speaker/writer wanted to give. So if I write 'Hokusai's exhibition' instead of 'Hokusai's painting', it's not because I don't know that 絵 means picture/painting - it's because, inserted in the context, in Italian it was much more correct to make the little shift in meaning, instead of applying the most literal translation and ending up with an incorrect Italian phrase. ('Next week, Hokusai's paintings will arrive in Rome' makes no sense to me. When you talk realistically, you say 'Next week, Hokusai's exhibition will arrive in Rome'.)

But hey, she has the power, so she decides. She's been ruining the only Japanese course of a public university in Rome since, like, 20 years. :3:

12 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Don't forget to send an 'it was a pleasure to meet you and *whoever else you met* and a privilege to interview for *position* at *company*, hope that you will get the opportunity to work at *company* and experience *whatever it is that you want to do* and learn from *many experienced and brilliant people*. I believe I could learn and contribute, blah blah, if there are any follow-up questions please do email me' email after it's done! Sometimes the relief of having it over can send such things out of your brain, but this is important.

:thanks: I actually did forget after the interview :68468287: so thanks for reminding me

3 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

You don't understand, they didn't even apologize! They wrote to me that we knew it could happen so it was our fault that we didn't choose other dates for the exams (there was only another one and half of us were busy doing other exams). 

In the end, I did the exams, I was the only student (in over 300 people) who did both on the same day, and they went pretty well I'd say. Not as perfectly as I am used to, but because of reasons that don't have to do with me hurrying to go take the second exam. 

Also, me and my Japanese teacher do not share the same idea of 'knowing how to translate' a language. She wanted the translation to be done as literal as possible - even if it sounds incorrect or weird in Italian. But I simply do not agree. Being able to translate the language doesn't mean knowing the dictionary definition of each word - it means getting the sense, the meaning out of a phrase, that is as close as possible to the meaning that the speaker/writer wanted to give. So if I write 'Hokusai's exhibition' instead of 'Hokusai's painting', it's not because I don't know that 絵 means picture/painting - it's because, inserted in the context, in Italian it was much more correct to make the little shift in meaning, instead of applying the most literal translation and ending up with an incorrect Italian phrase. ('Next week, Hokusai's paintings will arrive in Rome' makes no sense to me. When you talk realistically, you say 'Next week, Hokusai's exhibition will arrive in Rome'.)

But hey, she has the power, so she decides. She's been ruining the only Japanese course of a public university in Rome since, like, 20 years. :3:

..... At least the exams went well? Yay? Small yay?