Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

2 hours ago, robin said:

Oh, that‘s great to hear! It’s amazing that you picked it up again after such a long time. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you learn to sight read? 

I think in my case the problem is also that I end up memorizing everything a bit too quickly and don’t depend on sight-reading whenever I work on a piece. But that way it’s just really hard to learn new pieces because I have to memorize first... My teacher was elderly but extremely patient so I think a teacher isn’t going to make much of a difference for me. I feel a bit sorry when I remember her because she tried really hard with me :rofl: 

Well she's not sweetness and light!  I was taught to practice right hand, then left, then put them together, the add in ornaments, then crescendo/decrescendo, then pedals... you get the idea.  My current teacher makes you do everything at once - obviously very slowly at first, but it works wonders for your sight reading.  And we don't do 'exercises' - we do an easier composer alongside the tough one whose pieces do the same job as exercises but in a more interesting way.  And loads of scales and arpeggios - if a piece is in a difficult key it helps to practice the scale and arpeggio before practicing the piece itself - muscle memory I suppose !  No. 2 son memorises pieces very fast and he has terrible trouble with sight reading.

@ruruzest I use the same teacher my children had - they're a lot better than me but seeing two of them use the piano to work out a mood or as a break from studying made me think it might be therapeutic and it is. No 1 son uses sport - the piano is cheaper, (once you've bought it,) sports equipment seems to need continual upgrading.

On 25/5/2018 at 7:59 PM, robin said:

But I still can‘t sight-read (either I am really stupid or I have some sort of dyslexia because not once in my 5 years of regular piano playing did I manage to sight-read. sigh.)

Sight-reading is hell. Good luck coming through.

3 hours ago, ruruzest said:

CHUC MUNG CHUC MUNG @VyVy99! Congratulations! That is so inspiring!  Your hard work and efforts really pay off .Don’t give up on the chance to see Yuzu ! 

@robin, @Sombreuil, it’s so fun to play isn’t it ! I learned piano long time ago for three years so I could help my daughter ( she was very young and we both had the same private teacher ) I just couldn’t sight  read at all. I had to memorize to play . Quitting it for a long time now I always want to go back to play but haven’t found the motivation yet ( I used to play Moonlight Sonata, Le lac de come, Windmill of your minds,....All the good melodies ...) my daughter, however, has a gift and continues to play beautiful Chopin pieces ( inspired by Ballad Number one) on her own after quitting the lesson .

Ah yeah it takes a lot of motivation to go back to music when you can’t really sight-read. Take this discussion as a motivation and go back!

And wow  :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: I do really want to learn Ballade no1 one day 

2 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

Well she's not sweetness and light!  I was taught to practice right hand, then left, then put them together, the add in ornaments, then crescendo/decrescendo, then pedals... you get the idea.  My current teacher makes you do everything at once - obviously very slowly at first, but it works wonders for your sight reading.  And we don't do 'exercises' - we do an easier composer alongside the tough one whose pieces do the same job as exercises but in a more interesting way.  And loads of scales and arpeggios - if a piece is in a difficult key it helps to practice the scale and arpeggio before practicing the piece itself - muscle memory I suppose !  No. 2 son memorises pieces very fast and he has terrible trouble with sight reading.

@ruruzest I use the same teacher my children had - they're a lot better than me but seeing two of them use the piano to work out a mood or as a break from studying made me think it might be therapeutic and it is. No 1 son uses sport - the piano is cheaper, (once you've bought it,) sports equipment seems to need continual upgrading.

That sounds a lot like my old classes. I had to do exercises in the beginning but after a year or so I only worked with actual music pieces. And I learned both hands at once, as well. Sometimes she’d give me easy jazz pieces to learn so I could have a bit fun. And she would also make me play Bach pieces which were a bit harder to memorize to improve my sight reading. For some reason I never liked playing Bach and I didnt like sight reading so that was usually not so much fun. Instead I always loved playing Chopin and especially his nocturnes. 

Right now I’m at the point where I memorized the first page of Liebesträume and I just can’t bring myself to go on and so I keep on repeating the first page over and over LOL not being able to sight read is 100% my own fault 

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

Sight-reading is hell. Good luck coming through.

Thankkssss I need luck but more than that I need discipline

I'm afraid to suggest Chopin to my teacher - I love him and my daughter plays it beautifully, but I'm too cack handed.   I also love Bach, he's more forgiving- something for every level.  At the moment I'm playing an easy version of the soundtrack to the 'Pride and Prejudice' film by way of a change for the summer- lots of pedal- normally Clementi is my back up to the Bach.   Speaking of which, that soundtrack would be good for a spinning spiralling skater like Satoko.

11 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I'm afraid to suggest Chopin to my teacher - I love him and my daughter plays it beautifully, but I'm too cack handed.   I also love Bach, he's more forgiving- something for every level.  At the moment I'm playing an easy version of the soundtrack to the 'Pride and Prejudice' film by way of a change for the summer- lots of pedal- normally Clementi is my back up to the Bach.   Speaking of which, that soundtrack would be good for a spinning spiralling skater like Satoko.

Ohhh everytime I watch that movie (and I watch it alot) I want to play the soundtrack, too. Are you talking about this one?

I wonder, has it ever been used for skating? It's short program length

I do like Bach's music but for some reason I would get bored of the pieces I had to play really fast. I think I was just unable to build a connection to the music while Chopin always felt natural to me. You should muster the courage to suggest a Chopin anyway! I am far from advanced, myself

That's the one - lovely isn't it?  Asks for a layback spin.

I might have a crack at something from the Chopin book on the piano and see....

27 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

That's the one - lovely isn't it?  Asks for a layback spin.

I might have a crack at something from the Chopin book on the piano and see....

It is absolutely lovely. It calls for a refined skater like Satoko

9 hours ago, ruruzest said:

not Ballad cause it’s too difficult !:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

Ballade traps you into a loop of forever studying those hardest parts and hating yourself and your own hands because you cannot keep up with the tempo Yuzuru uses for his SP. 

On 5/26/2018 at 1:59 AM, robin said:

I‘ve started playing piano again and it’s so much fun. I guess you just need to take a break from some things to rediscover what you liked about it in the beginning. Well, it’s been 2 years so the break has been pretty long. 

But I still can‘t sight-read (either I am really stupid or I have some sort of dyslexia because not once in my 5 years of regular piano playing did I manage to sight-read. sigh.) and I cringe at my own playing at times and my fingers have gotten soooo stiff but fortunately my fingers still remember the feeling. 

Now I just need to get over myself and cut my nails short 

That’s nice!~~ I mean you could always practice to be better 

I play the piano too 😂 and sight read was definetely an enemy to me 😂😅

So on the topic of piano, any suggestions for beginner pieces? I always try pieces that are way too advanced for me and I'm able to play them, but they sound like crap. Something around the level of Mozart's Sonata 16, but slower, since it's speed, not coordination, I have trouble with. I'm ok with sight-reading, I find it easier than sight-reading for guitar (which I'm a disaster at :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:). 

Would appreciate suggestions because I'm going insane here, sprained my ankle on Saturday, and I still can't walk on it, so I'm stuck in my apartment for the next few days :13877886:I'm rarely here, so even though it's only day 3, I'm already rather irritated. Figured at least I'd (finally) get some piano practice done.

3 hours ago, guitarist said:

So on the topic of piano, any suggestions for beginner pieces? I always try pieces that are way too advanced for me and I'm able to play them, but they sound like crap. Something around the level of Mozart's Sonata 16, but slower, since it's speed, not coordination, I have trouble with. I'm ok with sight-reading, I find it easier than sight-reading for guitar (which I'm a disaster at :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:). 

Would appreciate suggestions because I'm going insane here, sprained my ankle on Saturday, and I still can't walk on it, so I'm stuck in my apartment for the next few days :13877886:I'm rarely here, so even though it's only day 3, I'm already rather irritated. Figured at least I'd (finally) get some piano practice done.

Well first of all get well soon~ ahaha

I recommend “Minuet In G” try it in synthesia first at youtube :))

some anime themes might be good too :)) (you know like the ones at kimi no nawa if you do know)