Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

I was in Germany in September 2011 at the same time as Yuzuru. I did not know anything about Yuzuru at the time and only discovered later about this coincidence when I was going through videos and realized that he competed in the Nebelhorn Trophy at the same time that we were being tourists in the Rhineland. Quite the distance apart, but not often that you end up a few hundred kilometres (about 4-5 hours drive) from Yuzu by accident when you're coming from opposite sides of the world.

38 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

I was in Germany in September 2011 at the same time as Yuzuru. I did not know anything about Yuzuru at the time and only discovered later about this coincidence when I was going through videos and realized that he competed in the Nebelhorn Trophy at the same time that we were being tourists in the Rhineland. Quite the distance apart, but not often that you end up a few hundred kilometres (about 4-5 hours drive) from Yuzu by accident when you're coming from opposite sides of the world.

I would groan into the void for years if that happened to me...

5 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

How many of you keep on reading my user title :xD:?

Me, but I've already confessed. xD Loving the current one!  And :flowers: for setting up the Japanese study thread!

Last week I invited my students for lunch since they had just finished the last performance of their show before graduation. It was a very emotional and meaningful moment for all of them and since most of them had not eaten lunch yet, I bought them food. This week, they going the office asking the other teachers for lunch and I feel perplexed. In my time as a student, if a teacher invited us, we would be extremely happy and appreciate it. Nowadays, they ask for food as if it was the most natural thing and they even talk on your back if you don't offer them anything. Since when has this generation become so... shameless?

I had made an account in GS before Worlds 2017, but I never managed to post even though I wanted to, I made an account in this forum before maintenance and at that time also could not post, I was very sad on these two occasions:sadPooh:. But after the maintenance I quickly enjoyed posting as a guest because I was a little afraid I could never post. Now I can post normally.:smiley-love017:

5 hours ago, Puniyo said:

Last week I invited my students for lunch since they had just finished the last performance of their show before graduation. It was a very emotional and meaningful moment for all of them and since most of them had not eaten lunch yet, I bought them food. This week, they going the office asking the other teachers for lunch and I feel perplexed. In my time as a student, if a teacher invited us, we would be extremely happy and appreciate it. Nowadays, they ask for food as if it was the most natural thing and they even talk on your back if you don't offer them anything. Since when has this generation become so... shameless?

Wow, what an entitled attitude. When I remember how revent my generation were to our teachers and professors from elementary school to university... lol. I recall our professors in my uni freshman year had to explain to some of us that we don't have to stand up when they enter the classroom. But props to you for socializing with your students like that!

7 hours ago, surimi said:

Wow, what an entitled attitude. When I remember how revent my generation were to our teachers and professors from elementary school to university... lol. I recall our professors in my uni freshman year had to explain to some of us that we don't have to stand up when they enter the classroom. But props to you for socializing with your students like that!

Standing up when a professor entered the classroom was never part of my culture so I'm pretty fine with it too but we we're definitely very respectful towards out teachers and even more to our college professors. I somewhat feel that my students now have no idea about that respect. Not that they are really disrespectful but when you give them a finger, they want the entire arm (a Portuguese saying that means they demand too much). And in their minds, we teachers have an extraordinary high salary, so we should buy them stuff with no reserve. This still amazes me. 

19 minutes ago, Puniyo said:

Standing up when a professor entered the classroom was never part of my culture so I'm pretty fine with it too but we we're definitely very respectful towards out teachers and even more to our college professors. I somewhat feel that my students now have no idea about that respect. Not that they are really disrespectful but when you give them a finger, they want the entire arm (a Portuguese saying that means they demand too much). And in their minds, we teachers have an extraordinary high salary, so we should buy them stuff with no reserve. This still amazes me. 

I think you should give them "the finger" – the middle one!

Just submitted my last-but-one essay of the year. :yahoo: Never expected to find biblical archaeology so fascinating, I might have to pick these books up again over the summer. Now I just have to tackle informal learning, which makes me want to cry. :sad-smiley-046: Still, the sooner it's done the sooner I can chill and spend more time here!

When I was a student in the Dark Ages it was very arms length- we addressed each other and our teachers in tutorials and seminars as Mr X, Miss Y, etc.  Now my students call me  by my Christian name and on one memorable occasion asked to borrow my case notes, and really couldn't see why there was a problem.  I think there's a lot to be said for a bit of formality- it never seemed to stop a rapport from forming if the group was right and it prevented casually disrespectful behaviour.

36 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

When I was a student in the Dark Ages it was very arms length- we addressed each other and our teachers in tutorials and seminars as Mr X, Miss Y, etc.  Now my students call me  by my Christian name and on one memorable occasion asked to borrow my case notes, and really couldn't see why there was a problem.  I think there's a lot to be said for a bit of formality- it never seemed to stop a rapport from forming if the group was right and it prevented casually disrespectful behaviour.

It is an old cliché, but true: familiarity does breed contempt.