Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

6 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

The first few lines? You mean, you didn't arrive to the sit spin with the fist pump??? Pooh Minister might be a little offended, careful!! 

I have to pretend i am a normal person :waffle:

Says the one who comes to work every day with a Pooh pin and uses mini-Pooh as stress ball...

I just met a deadline I thought I never would, and my eye is still twitching. I have another one today.

I have made a solemn vow that I will not procrastinate next time and wait till it all gets on top of me and then work from three in the night until I collapse, rinse and repeat.

Guess how many times I've made that solemn vow so far.

Can't tell. Lost count. :waffle:

Why am I like this.

12 минут назад, Hydroblade сказал:

I rarely listen to music in Spanish but right now I'm listening to a song by a Spanish group that I liked I'm middle School and I guess I'm still too emotional about nhk because I'm crying in the stairs during my lunch break...

:consoling2: I think, it's still not enough time passed to recover. It's normal to be emotional and cry.

3 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

I rarely listen to music in Spanish but right now I'm listening to a song by a Spanish group that I liked I'm middle School and I guess I'm still too emotional about nhk because I'm crying in the stairs during my lunch break...

*hugs*

It was just a shock and you're slowly recovering from it, just as he is. It's okay.

Hi, guys! I'm asking for help :peekapooh:

My mom and I finally decided to visit my older sister who lives in China. We are planning a week trip in the second part of February, as the Chinese New Year is the only time my sis is free and I need to do it after Olympics' FS to be able to enjoy the trip. As she lives in Suzhou and it's quite cold there in February, we decided to meet in Guangzhou, to spend a few days there and then move to Foshan (by metro). I already tried to read about local sights like Yuexiu Park, Canton Tower, Baiyun Mountain, etc., but I still worry, because I'm in charge of the organization process. Besides, the tastes of the family members are different: my mom prefers natural parks, my sis is mostly interested in culture and historical monuments. In addition, I heard a lot about the difficulties of adjusting to Chinese food. :slinkaway: I definitely worry too much and too early but I will be extremely grateful to get any advice. 

P.S. Just remembered, I didn't say "thank you" properly to you, guys, for your support during my exams. I got my letter of admission to doctorat before NHK and completely forgot to thank you because I was too frustrated. 

18 hours ago, Mastyaeva said:

My mom and I finally decided to visit my older sister who lives in China. We are planning a week trip in the second part of February, as the Chinese New Year is the only time my sis is free and I need to do it after Olympics' FS to be able to enjoy the trip. As she lives in Suzhou and it's quite cold there in February, we decided to meet in Guangzhou, to spend a few days there and then move to Foshan (by metro). I already tried to read about local sights like Yuexiu Park, Canton Tower, Baiyun Mountain, etc., but I still worry, because I'm in charge of the organization process. Besides, the tastes of the family members are different: my mom prefers natural parks, my sis is mostly interested in culture and historical monuments. In addition, I heard a lot about the difficulties of adjusting to Chinese food. :slinkaway: I definitely worry too much and too early but I will be extremely grateful to get any advice. 

P.S. Just remembered, I didn't say "thank you" properly to you, guys, for your support during my exams. I got my letter of admission to doctorat before NHK and completely forgot to thank you because I was too frustrated. 

I'm going to Guangzhou one month before you! c: I will stay only two days there though, so I don't think I will have time to look a lot around. But if I will, I will definitely drop some info. As for the food, picky eaters have difficulty everywhere, while people who eat everything don't have much trouble. I think this is the golden rule of food. Chinese food varies a lot, so I'm sure there will be plenty of options for your family, both in restaurants and in supermarkets c:

18 hours ago, Mastyaeva said:

Guang Zhou food tends towards the sweet and slightly sour side, so you should be alright. Granted, there is a joke in China that people from the Cantonese region eat everything and anything, so you might want your sister, assuming she reads chinese, to help ensure you avoid the odd "exotic" stuff. But if you like dim sum and sea food, I think food should be fine. =)

Unfortunately, I've never been to Guangzhou, so might not be able to help there much. But if you've got a week, you could maybe plan to go to the mountains for a couple of days and then come back to the city. Though I'm not sure what you'd visit in the city? Usually as a chinese, we generally prefer traveling to the suburbs and surrounding countrysides/mountains. Also, are you sure there are no temples/historical mountains or villages you could visit? 

17 минут назад, Murieleirum сказал:

I'm going to Guangzhou one month before you! c: I will stay only two days there though, so I don't think I will have time to look a lot around. But if I will, I will definitely drop some info. As for the food, picky eaters have difficulty everywhere, while people who eat everything don't have much trouble. I think this is the golden rule of food. Chinese food varies a lot, so I'm sure there will be plenty of options for your family, both in restaurants and in supermarkets c:

You will be my life saver with this info :bow: Good luck with your trip! Enjoy it! 

I'm ready to check all the supermarkets near the hotel to find non-spicy food for my mother. :hachimaki:

3 минуты назад, Xen сказал:

Guang Zhou food tends towards the sweet and slightly sour side, so you should be alright. Granted, there is a joke in China that people from the Cantonese region eat everything and anything, so you might want your sister, assuming she reads chinese, to help ensure you avoid the odd "exotic" stuff. But if you like dim sum and sea food, I think food should be fine. =)

Unfortunately, I've never been to Guangzhou, so might not be able to help there much. But if you've got a week, you could maybe plan to go to the mountains for a couple of days and then come back to the city. Though I'm not sure what you'd visit in the city? Usually as a chinese, we generally prefer traveling to the suburbs and surrounding countrysides/mountains. Also, are you sure there are no temples/historical mountains or villages you could visit? 

:thanks: Unfortunately, I'm allergic to seafood, but I'm going to enjoy dim sum with all other filings :biggrin: My sister speaks Mandarin, not Cantonese but I hope we'll manage somehow. I'm a bit afraid of traveling by bus to local villages (I'm mostly worried, it could be difficult to get out of there and come back to the city in time), but I'll try to plan to visit as many sights as possible, in Guang Zhou at least. And thank you for the advice about mountains: need to add it to the list!

21 hours ago, Mastyaeva said:

You will be my life saver with this info :bow: Good luck with your trip! Enjoy it! 

I'm ready to check all the supermarkets near the hotel to find non-spicy food for my mother. :hachimaki:

:thanks: Unfortunately, I'm allergic to seafood, but I'm going to enjoy dim sum with all other filings :biggrin: My sister speaks Mandarin, not Cantonese but I hope we'll manage somehow. I'm a bit afraid of traveling by bus to local villages (I'm mostly worried, it could be difficult to get out of there and come back to the city in time), but I'll try to plan to visit as many sights as possible, in Guang Zhou at least. And thank you for the advice about mountains: need to add it to the list!

Mandarin should be fine. Everyone has to learn it in school. =) And the writing is the same throughout China (Tibet, and the NW provinces at times will have local language and mandarin alongside).

Food wise, other than seafood, char shu (叉烧肉)which is pork, spare ribs, and you might have 烧鸭/烧鹅 (roasted duck or roasted goose) are also local to that region. They also have really nice sausages. If you are adventurous, maybe you have the guts to try chicken feet (it tastes like gelatin), and maybe they have the skin already peeled, so you won't need to munch on actual chicken feet. :biggrin:

One more thing, it might be worthwhile to check if all the places you want to visit will be open, especially if you plan to visit surrounding areas. If you stay in the city, then it's less likely. But normally in China, some places in the rural areas will take additional time off (so they might be closed Feb 15-28th instead of the normal Feb 15-20/23rd). This is kind of following tradition since we have 15 days afterwards of celebration, followed by Spring tiling.