Movie and TV Thread

Pamigena

On 10/10/2017 at 4:24 AM, Winnie_20 said:

Luke movie Luke movie Luke movie!!!

Ahem, I mean, did anyone else just watch the new Star Wars trailer?! *bounce bounce bounce*

I am soooo excited. I was so utterly disappointed that I didn't get my Luke fix with VII, I waited so many years and then only to find I have to wait two more years, that was so unfair! :facepalm: But, looks like we'll finally be getting more Luke! 

Edit: got tickets for the 7 am double feature on Wednesday December 13! Last Jedi starts at 10 am. :-)   Like with TFA and Rogue One, we get the movie two days before the US. 

One of the children sent me some YouTube links-  I think I've found a fandom more toxic than FS!

12 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

a fandom more toxic than FS!

Euh... toxic as in, people fighting on-line? If that's what you mean, I really hate to be the one to tell you this, but... figure skating is the nicest fandom I know of. And I've been around for a very long time in on-line fandoms, and in many different fandoms. Figure skating fandom is extremely nice and cuddly. 

21 minutes ago, Winnie_20 said:

Euh... toxic as in, people fighting on-line? If that's what you mean, I really hate to be the one to tell you this, but... figure skating is the nicest fandom I know of. And I've been around for a very long time in on-line fandoms, and in many different fandoms. Figure skating fandom is extremely nice and cuddly. 

Well my intro to it was rather a baptism of fire which may have prejudiced me!  :biggrin:

49 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Well my intro to it was rather a baptism of fire which may have prejudiced me!  :biggrin:

I'm rather curious now what kind of videos you've seen about Star Wars, lol. I haven't been involved with SW fandom that actively in a long time, mostly because I was way way way into the Expanded Universe novels, and, well, when Disney took over, the books canon was declared null and void. I'm waiting for movies VIII and IX so they can start a new EU books fandom).

But I know there have been huge fandom wars relating to the prequels, and I'm sure there's lots of interesting stuff going on with the new movies, too.  

But, yeah, on-line fandoms are all nasty. I've not come across a single one where there isn't in-fighting and stuff. Fact is, in every fandom, people will have favorites, whether it's a particular sportman, an actor, a character (!), a particular pairing (be it hetero or slash or whatnot), etc. 

So far, I've not heard yet about death threats at the address of Yuzu or Orser. Until then, to me figure skating fandom is very nice and cuddly. I've seen much worse than anything in this fandom since I started following figure skating. 

3 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

dirty dancing is one of the special fave movies of childhood!

it's still a classic even now!

i heard terrible things about the remake and apparently it's so bad they even screwed up the ending!

anyway i'm not gonna watch it cuz jennifer grey and patrick swayze are the only baby and johnny for me...

they were so perfect in that movie and they brought their characters to life!

the dancing in the movie were really good too!

(i always have this hope that some pairs or ice dance skaters will skate dirty dancing...)

Remakes are almost always dodgy.  Even when it's something that has been redone every few years since filming began like Pride and Prejudice you tend to imprint on one and never really forsake it.  My mother couldn't abide the tv versions - for her Olivier was Darcy and Greer Garson was Elizabeth from the film she saw as a teenager.

2 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

dirty dancing is one of the special fave movies of childhood!

it's still a classic even now!

i heard terrible things about the remake and apparently it's so bad they even screwed up the ending!

anyway i'm not gonna watch it cuz jennifer grey and patrick swayze are the only baby and johnny for me...

they were so perfect in that movie and they brought their characters to life!

the dancing in the movie were really good too!

(i always have this hope that some pairs or ice dance skaters will skate dirty dancing...)

Ondrej Hotarek (our hero from yesterday haha) used Dirty Dancing music for an ex a time ago when he was still together with Stefania Berton ! :PurpleBanana:

10 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

if you ask me (don't hit me, anyone!), the hp fandom was really wild back in the day!  massive shipping wars that go on for years!!!

Yeah, Harry Potter fandom was one of the more interesting ones. Lord of the Rings was pretty nuts, too (it was basically the fandom that brought Real Person Fanfic / Real Person Slash out into the open, which wasn't exactly appreciated by everybody. Nowadays it's normal; back when The Fellowship of the Ring came out, it was not!). 

Stargate SG-1 is probably the scariest I've been involved in. Deeply involved it, and I'm never again getting that involved in *anything*, ever, never never again. It's killing. It was very, very, very bad, very nasty. Fans can be VERY evil. 

Supernatural, too, is all sorts of messed up. Cuz, Wincest = incest = is Evil, dontchaknow? :dry:

@Winnie_20 I was directed to a long trailer, and being stuck waiting for transport, once I'd watched that was killing time looking at some of the vids people had made speculating about the storyline of the new film, the antecedents of some of the characters etc and I was really taken aback at how weirdly obsessed people could be about it all- some of them could prove it, the clues were all there in the previous films and the trailer etc etc etc. And they'd gone to the trouble of making quite long ranty vids showing that they were right!  So lots of others commented either trashing the theories or trashing the trashers or in one case criticising the bloke for making a vid at all because of his 'awful' accent!-  well I know how bad they can get from gymnastics and FS YouTube so I just skimmed it.

2 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

@Winnie_20 I was directed to a long trailer, and being stuck waiting for transport, once I'd watched that was killing time looking at some of the vids people had made speculating about the storyline of the new film, the antecedents of some of the characters etc and I was really taken aback at how weirdly obsessed people could be about it all- some of them could prove it, the clues were all there in the previous films and the trailer etc etc etc. And they'd gone to the trouble of making quite long ranty vids showing that they were right!  So lots of others commented either trashing the theories or trashing the trashers or in one case criticising the bloke for making a vid at all because of his 'awful' accent!-  well I know how bad they can get from gymnastics and FS YouTube so I just skimmed it.

Oh, right, gotcha. 

I think it's brilliant that people are that much into any fandom that they come up with their own theories and make videos of it. To me, it's not any different than people making videos of a Yuzu program and analyzing every single nanosecond out of it. That's totally par for the course, that's what die-hard fans do. You get very, very, very deeply involved, and try to prove to the world that your theory is right, be it that Hanyu is the best skater in the world, or that Luke is Rey's long-long daddy or uncle or whatever. 

There are some extremely talented people out there making fanvids. Nothing but applause from me. 

BUT, it's very sad that people feel the need to fight in the Comments, but that, too, is, unfortunately, so normal, doesn't even raise any eyebrows with me. It *shouldn't*, but that's what the internet is. It was nasty right from the start (mid 1990s for me), as soon as people started to realize they were "anonymous" and could say things out there and behave in ways that they would NEVER have the guts to say/behave in real life to anyone. 

Getting off my sandbox now, lolol. I should watch some telly. I'm a season behind on, well, just about everything. :slinkaway:

Well it's certainly convinced me that my long held determination not to get involved was the right one 999.9% of the time no matter how much I liked something/one.

15 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

i get what you mean cuz star wars fans can get really fanatic!  i remember when star wars 7 came out and things were pretty wild there for some time...

oooooh i feel you!  hp and lotr are pretty nuts, and i stay FAR AWAY form supernatural fandom cuz those guys are just NUTS...  stargate i heard stuff about although i've never been in that fandom (now i think i'm probably lucky)...

Hehehehe, I am glad I missed most of the Episode VII stuff (I tend to stay away because of them evil spoilerzzzzz)

I remember when the Special Editions came out in 1997, though. Poor George Lucas, he was the devil himself for ruining his own movies. And that was *before* Jar Jar Binks, hahahaha. 

Stargate SG-1, not a *cough* very nice *cough cough* fandom. I'll leave it at that. 

Just now, Sombreuil said:

Well it's certainly convinced me that my long held determination not to get involved was the right one 999.9% of the time no matter how much I liked something/one.

:goe:       Wish I had your strength, lol. I always get sucked into fandoms. My only saving grace is that I've done it so many times, I can now look at a fight and go, Noooo, not gonna respond... and then I walk away and don't respond. 

Most of the time. ;-)

I did it once - well twice if we're going to be accurate about it- and here we are.  I almost didn't post here but thought I'd give it a try and so far it's working out nicely:smile:

1 hour ago, sublimeskating said:

well lol to be fair lucas kinda brought it upon himself first with jar jar and then screwing up the original trilogy with the remastered versions.

It's easier for me. I'm a SW Expanded Universe fan, first and foremost. The movies are important, but I don't really care if something gets tweaked here or there, heck, just gives me more SW. As long as they don't replace Luke Skywalker in the classic trilogy with Jar Jar Binks, I think I'm good. :laughing:

1 hour ago, sublimeskating said:

oooh which part of expanded universe do you like?

luke is pretty much the one of the most important characters of the SW saga and mark hamill is perfect as luke.

any replacement will not go well with most SW fans...

I'm a Luke fan and a SW novels fan. My favorite EU era is from Empire Strikes Back to about 19 years after Return of the Jedi. After that, the focus shifts to the Solo children and co. Plus, I just prefer Luke as a bachelor than being married with kid. Some of my favorite novels are Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, Truce at Bakura, I, Jedi, Children of the Jedi, and The New Rebellion. Nope, not necessarily the Zahn / Thrawn novels. They're great, I'm sure, but not really "Luke" novels, plus, I don't think Mara Jade is So Awesome. I actually really liked Callista. *blush* 

That said, I enjoyed pretty much all books I read, even the X-wing novels in which Luke didn't feature at all except for a rare cameo. 

I miss the EU. I really, really, really hope we'll get loads of new novels set in the same era, as soon as episode IX has been released. 

Mark Hamill is a Treasure. <3

3 hours ago, sublimeskating said:

i also remember reading a few of the jedi apprentice series when i was a kid!  (they're not luke novels but more like obi-wan novels LOL)

mark hamill <3

(i screamed with joy when he appeared at the end of star wars 7!)

I never bothered with the Jedi Apprentice series because I'm just not that invested in the prequel era. Actually, IMHO the best about the prequels is the music, which I enjoy playing on the piano. :laughing:

I went to Episode VII because I wanted to see the Big Three back in action, of course. So it was rather disappointing that they never even met, except a brief scene with Han and Leia. And right from the start, when the opening scroll said something about Luke having vanished, I knew it wasn't gonna be my lucky day... and I suddenly understood why it had been so easy to avoid VII related spoilers: there wasn't anything to spoil about Luke, he just wasn't in the movie!

It's different now, of course. I've made sure that nothing SW related show up in my facebook timeline except Mark Hamill's own posts. He is very good at knowing what the audience considers real spoilers and not, and he likes to tease but never really reveals anything. He *understands* fandom. But man, the spoilers are *everywhere* on-line, so I'm being very careful what sites I visit and which to avoid.