Movie and TV Thread

Pamigena

In the past 48 hours I went to two Star Wars concerts in one of the best concert halls in the world, as well as the Star Wars “Identities” exhibition that’s traveling around the globe.

Even more hyped now about Episode VIII than I already was. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

No.2 son, who is a rabid Star Wars fan came home furious from the screening last night - he didn't like it at all- too many furry animal characters ripe for disneyfication for his liking - he was as angry as he is when The Team don't play well!

6 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

No.2 son, who is a rabid Star Wars fan came home furious from the screening last night - he didn't like it at all- too many furry animal characters ripe for disneyfication for his liking - he was as angry as he is when The Team don't play well!

Well... I've seen it twice now, Wednesday morning was a wild ride and I had trouble putting my thoughts and feelings into words. But I saw it again last night, with another friend, and talking to her really helped me figure out how I feel about it all. 

Here be SPOILERS, though I'll try and keep things a bit vague. 

Spoiler

I completely disagree with the way they portrayed Luke Skywalker. If he's your favorite character (like he has been mine for nearly 25 years), and he acts so differently from a. the original movies, and b. not *at all* the way you imagined it, plus a possible c. do you know Luke from the Expanded Universe? Yeah... this is NOT him.  

That's really tough to swallow. I wanted to SMACK Luke. I've never wanted to smack Luke,  but he's not a guy I admire now. 

I actually liked the furry critters, and the crystal fox-like critters, the porgs reminded me of puffins. I don't mind that stuff, but I do mind an overabundance of cheap laughs. Star Wars is not supposed to be about cheap laughs, and the one at the start with Luke was more than enough. 

Leia saving herself was so dead wrong and out of character, I cannot even. There has NEVER been any indication whatsoever that she has been trained in the Force, but she can pull *that* off? Nope. Just nope. 

The reviews of the movie are apparently GREAT, but as a Luke fan, I'm having a very hard time accepting this movie as canon. My canon died when the Expanded Universe became Legends. 

Mark Hamill was magnificent, btw. Give that man an Oscar, pleasepleaseplease (never gonna happen, but a girl can dream). 

I just saw Coco and I'm crying like a baby. Pls go watch it if you want to get a feeling of Mexico.
ETA: I can give you my opinion now lol

Spoiler

I am impressed by the way it portrayed the culture. It was very eye opening, the family values are spot on. It felt weird to watch it because i am used to see foreign cultures on the big screen: This felt as if it was a story that someone i know was telling me. My family is completely different to the main character's family, but i recognize the characters as people i've found in my friends families, my teachers, people i know...

It never seemed to me that they were exaggerating stuff: for example, the scene in the graveyard where people are shown gathering around the graves, singing, drinking eating... I can tell you that they do look like that on november 2. The way the characters talked... ugh, i don't think i will ever finish. 

I honestly thought they would do a weird americanized version of the holiday/culture but no, in my opinion is scarily accurate!

Also, since it was christmas day, entire families were watching it. During the last 1/3 of the movie everyone was crying. I mean, literally everyone. If you're extremely squishy, don't watch it, you WILL cry. I never cry with movies, and i cried with this one. The last song just.... squishes your heart.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, katonice said:

For anime lovers, it looks like a live action version of "Your Name" will be in the works soon.

:facepalm: sigh no.

idk. I'm not that optimistic. First off, the concepts in the movie are very distinctly Japanese. Second, I've never seen a lot of Hollywood adaptations go well. How are they going to pull this off? IDK.

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet - not released here until 23.2.18 - presumably hoping for a post Olympic surge of interest.

Has anyone seen 'Darkest Hour'.   Oldman is brilliant in it - I know Daniel Day Lewis only has to appear in front of a camera to get a lock on the Oscar, and it's his last film etc etc but I'd like Oldman to win

TV- has anyone seen the BBC Olympic coverage title sequence?  It's all about the athletes avoiding/outrunning the monster of Olympic pressure - I like it, reminded me of some of Yuzurus comments.

On 15.12.2017 at 12:06 PM, Sombreuil said:

I went with my nephew, it is a tradition, and he is 20 now and a rabid fan as well: it will be the first Star Wars movie he will not watch a second time. And he hates Ren, he calls him a “ whiney child“. :laughing:

We had some interesting discussions:smile:<3.

Great nephew, the best, regardless of his taste.

He also thinks I am crazy to watch figure skating:laughing: