Music Corner

Pamigena

I got caught by Brian May's Last Horizon right now... again. Haven't listened to it for ages.

Somehow all the YT links of my favourite version have been taken down, though..

Thanks to the recommendations in other threads, I'm kind of obsessed with Ludovico Einaudi's music. I giorni, stella del martini, experience, all of these are in constant loop when I'm working.

I'm a huge fan of classic rock. Some random favorites: Billy Joel, Queen, Rolling Stones, Santana, Van Halen, Dire Straits. For more modern music I listen to indie and alternative rock. I'm currently wearing a Strokes t-shirt, actually! Also like Franz Ferdinand and a few songs by the Arctic Monkeys, even though I think their songs sound exactly the same, especially the ones from AM.

I also listen to a lot of classical music, my favorites are Rachmaninoff and Mozart. For classical guitar (my instrument), I don't really have a favorite composer, but I like several works by Barrios and Albeniz (who was actually a piano composer, but I feel like his music works better on guitars anyway).

I'm into many different types of music, like classical, folk/folk rock, rock 'n' roll, beat, psychedelic/acid rock, avantgarde/experimental, progressive rock, jazz fusion, punk/post-punk, reggae, soul, alternative dance/dance rock, madchester, trip hop, shoegaze, britpop, indie (or how is it called these days?)

I have too many favourites from these different genres, but if I had to pick just one, it would definitely be The Beatles, my favourites ever.

A couple of days ago, one of my favourite shoegaze bands, Slowdive released their first new album after 20+ years. I'm looking forward to listen to the full album, I hope I'll have the time for it tomorrow (I listened to one song today and I was totally impressed) :yay:

Usually, for these listening sessions, I only need two things: my good old headphones and a lovely cup of tea (with some rum in it! ha!)

Just finished listening to Psycho Killer by Talking Heads.

I also harbor a love for songs that employ idioglossia (basically lyrics sung in a made-up language). Lisa Gerrard is a genius in this field and Kajiura Yuki also writes music that falls into this category.

Strange tastes haha!

Btw, anyone here compose/arrange music? Once I finish all my finals I'm going to attempt to arrange H&L for classical guitar, but I'm most likely going to have some trouble with some of the middle voices in the Asian Dream Song part (I either overdo it or simplify it too much, no in between...), so I'd appreciate some help from people with more knowledge of music theory.

Btw, anyone here compose/arrange music? Once I finish all my finals I'm going to attempt to arrange H&L for classical guitar, but I'm most likely going to have some trouble with some of the middle voices in the Asian Dream Song part (I either overdo it or simplify it too much, no in between...), so I'd appreciate some help from people with more knowledge of music theory.

Once you have it could you send it to me :D? I tried to arrange it (no, i don't have a real music theory background i just... do it :acceptable: sorry i can't help) but i gave up haha.

Once you have it could you send it to me :D? I tried to arrange it (no, i don't have a real music theory background i just... do it :acceptable: sorry i can't help) but i gave up haha.

Sure!!! Do you use sheet music or tabs?

Sure!!! Do you use sheet music or tabs?

Both but i prefer sheet music :P

Both but i prefer sheet music :P

Ok, good, it'll be easier to make that way. I'll let you know when (if?) I finish it!

Yay :D i mean, tabs are convenient but... uuuh i get a better sense of the rhythm with sheet music... Maybe because it's standard across many instruments haha, i feel more comfortable with sheet music

Little things in life which make me happy- #1

I always listen to my mp3 player when I am on my way to work, but this morning I forgot to charge it, so I started to search for some music on my phone. I accidentally found tons of great music which were uploaded by the former owner of the phone, a friend of mine. I listened to gamelan music (traditional music from Bali/Java) which made me very happy and relaxed during the stressful and noisy rush hour. I guess I I'll listen to more gamelan in the next coming weeks.