Hey, remember us?

Guest turquoiseblue

Robin Szolkowy Joins California Coaching Team

“For professional reasons our family will move to America and work there with not only American, but also international skaters, mostly in pairs skating, obviously,” Szolkowy said.

“I am 39 years old. I’ve tested myself in coaching for four years now and I see myself building new teams and new skaters. I think that I can have a positive and goal-oriented influence on the kids — maybe also on older skaters — and that I can teach them something.”

“To me, it was clear that I would be part of the Russian team until March 2018. Tarasova and Morozov then chose Maxim as their new head coach, which is totally understandable,” Szolkowy said, adding that he had never planned to coach them full-time.

Szolkowy said he and U.S. Figure Skating (USFS) began talking about the pairs concept at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games and later at the World Championships. “I have been in quite close contact with the USFS for almost one and a half years, based on my collaboration with the Mozer team,” he explained.

In the summer of 2018, he visited various training centers in Colorado Springs, Florida and California. Szolkowy and his wife decided they would go to Irvine. “An important point in the decision was that we had an impressive guided tour through the new training center they were building. I’ll have the opportunity to be part of it as a coach from the very beginning, and to introduce my own ideas,” Szolkowy said. “Jenni Meno, Todd Sand and myself want to get together as a pairs coaching team and build something from scratch.”

Szolkowy plans to stay at least until the 2022 Olympic Winter Games, but intends to keep his connection to Europe. “We’ll go to Europe for training camps or maybe the Europeans will come to the U.S.,” he said.