Hey, remember us?

Great thread. :goe:

There is Plushy and then there is Goebel (congrats btw!), but what is our 4x WC and 2002 OGM Alyosha been up to :D

He's my second big love after Yuzu. :love: I still have a picture of him on my old pinboard.

Here's a recent video of his performance from Averbukh's show on 21st April:

same! i absolutely love his skating! his 3A are some of my favorite 3A ever (one of the many reasons i love yuzu's skating so much is because yuzu has amazing 3A too!) and his step sequences are just amazing. his skating is like a dramatic performance - i love it.

his "winter" SP is still, to this day, one of my all time favorite programs EVER. it deserves a place in "skating hall of fame" and is a masterclass in champion figure skating.

It took me a little while to realize that Alyosha is Alexei Yagudin :oops:

Is Alyosha an endearing term in Russian or like some sort of nickname (like Zhenia for Evgeni Plushenko)?

I'm so glad that Stephane coaches Deniss now, so there's an opportunity to see him at competitions ^__^

Hope their tandem will make it to the top =)

Yeah, it's a pleasure to see Stephane near the icerink again :love:

Is Alyosha an endearing term in Russian or like some sort of nickname (like Zhenia for Evgeni Plushenko)?

i don't speak russian but apparently "alyosha" is one of the short forms for alexei...?

Well it's not really a short form as it's longer than Alexei :) It's an affectionate diminutive of the name (thank you, wiki). There was a long post on the other site not long ago, where a Russian poster explained all the meanings of the different nicknames (ca. 10) of Alexei. It was worth reading :rofl2: Lyosha is an another diminutive, but it's more neutral, and less tender than Alyosha.

i don't speak russian but apparently "alyosha" is one of the short forms for alexei...?

Well it's not really a short form as it's longer than Alexei :) It's an affectionate diminutive of the name (thank you, wiki). There was a long post on the other site not long ago, where a Russian poster explained all the meanings of the different nicknames (ca. 10) of Alexei. It was worth reading :rofl2: Lyosha is an another diminutive, but it's more neutral, and less tender than Alyosha.

Oh I see, thank you for the explanation :pbow: :pbow:

(It's just that I really like the name Alexei so I call him that and I've never heard of Alyosha haha)

Oh I see, thank you for the explanation :pbow: :pbow:

(It's just that I really like the name Alexei so I call him that and I've never heard of Alyosha haha)

A point of special pride - nearly every single name can be shortened in Russian and be remade into dimunitive. Which can be made into even further dimunitives. So Lyosha can become Lyoshenka - which is way more intimate and tender and... sickly sweet sometimes!

We love our dimunitive forms!!!

A point of special pride - nearly every single name can be shortened in Russian and be remade into dimunitive. Which can be made into even further dimunitives. So Lyosha can become Lyoshenka - which is way more intimate and tender and... sickly sweet sometimes!

We love our dimunitive forms!!!

I adore your diminutive forms! It's not just that there are so many variations but for the most part, to my ear, they sound so, so lovely! :love:

And to not get banned here's Alyosha skating for TAT during her anniversary show;

And to not get banned here's Alyosha skating for TAT during her anniversary show;

Winter is always going to be one of my favorites SP of all times. The step sequence is to die for :pbow: :pbow:

Here's Tatsuki Machida's new self-choreographed program, Don Quixote: Basil's Glory, which he performed at Prince Ice World in Yokohama. For someone who hasn't skated for a while, his triples are quite amazing. 

On 5/12/2017 at 06:47, Yatagarasu said:

I adore your diminutive forms! It's not just that there are so many variations but for the most part, to my ear, they sound so, so lovely! :love:

The most iconic SP

The way he throw those ice sprinkles just spelt EXTRA and DRAMA

everything I love in figure skating <3

6 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Here's Tatsuki Machida's new self-choreographed program, Don Quixote: Basil's Glory, which he performed at Prince Ice World in Yokohama. For someone who hasn't skated for a while, his triples are quite amazing. 

Thank you! I still feel sorry for his early r****ment!:girlsigh: