Hey, remember us?

48 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Wow that’s amazing, thank you for telling me! Do you happen to have videos/pictures of those moments you mentioned? No pressure at all, just curious if you have them haha.

Thank you so much for sharing too! And yes, I can definitely see the inspiration behind the choreography of Plushenko’s program from this footage.

As far as I know, Yuzuru’s program is not meant to tribute Nijinsky, right? To the best of my knowledge “Origin” was a tribute to Plushenko rather than to Nijinsky.

In fact I didn't know there had been these reconstitutions of footages of his ballets. Here are Sombreuil's, and a few others :

If you wish to have a better idea of how Nijinsky looked like, I think Nureyev's Petrushka (1976) is great, with two important warnings : it is not for the sensitive (it ends by a suicide) and I find it racist (but I wouldn't want it to be suppressed, because it is a major artwork; anyway it is not for children so no risk of putting racist prejudice in their young minds).

Less depressing, I had sent more recent (2007) reconstitutions of three ballets : The Spirit of the Rose, The Afternoon of a Faun, and Sheherazade, all three danced by Nikolay Tsiskaridze at a gala. Warning : because of its storyline, the second is not for children; and the third is hot.:animated-smileys-bath-wc-033: I mean, really really hot.:emot-11tea: But in the first music notes you will retrieve the two reminiscences in Plushenko's program.

Yuzuru Hanyu's Origin, as far as I know, was a tribute to Plushenko, not Nijinsky, but Origin 2 costume was inspired by Nijinsky's in The Spirit of the Rose, but this you already know as you launched the discussion on Planet Hanyu :

(Page 5793 of General Yuzuru Chat if the link doesn't send there.)

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

In fact I didn't know there had been these reconstitutions of footages of his ballets. Here are Sombreuil's, and a few others :

If you wish to have a better idea of how Nijinsky looked like, I think Nureyev's Petrushka (1976) is great, with two important warnings : it is not for the sensitive (it ends by a suicide) and I find it racist (but I wouldn't want it to be suppressed, because it is a major artwork; anyway it is not for children so no risk of putting racist prejudice in their young minds).

Less depressing, I had sent more recent (2007) reconstitutions of three ballets : The Spirit of the Rose, The Afternoon of a Faun, and Sheherazade, all three danced by Nikolay Tsiskaridze at a gala. Warning : because of its storyline, the second is not for children; and the third is hot.:animated-smileys-bath-wc-033: I mean, really really hot.:emot-11tea: But in the first music notes you will retrieve the two reminiscences in Plushenko's program.

Yuzuru Hanyu's Origin, as far as I know, was a tribute to Plushenko, not Nijinsky, but Origin 2 costume was inspired by Nijinsky's in The Spirit of the Rose, but this you already know as you launched the discussion on Planet Hanyu :

(Page 5793 of General Yuzuru Chat if the link doesn't send there.)

Thank you for sharing! I’ll check them out to get a better understanding of the Nijinsky program, it really is breathtaking.

And yes I am aware of the costume but I was confused if the program itself was meant to tribute Nijinsky because Plushenko feels that Yuzuru could make the program better by referencing Nijinsky in it... maybe it was a misunderstanding haha. https://fs-gossips.com/evgeni-plushenko-yuzurys-free-program-is-interesting-but-he-can-make-it-much-better/

2 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Thank you for sharing! I’ll check them out to get a better understanding of the Nijinsky program, it really is breathtaking.

And yes I am aware of the costume but I was confused if the program itself was meant to tribute Nijinsky because Plushenko feels that Yuzuru could make the program better by referencing Nijinsky in it... maybe it was a misunderstanding haha. https://fs-gossips.com/evgeni-plushenko-yuzurys-free-program-is-interesting-but-he-can-make-it-much-better/

When Plushenko made that remark, he likely didn't realize that it was not actually a tribute to Nijinsky. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Watching Maxim Kovtun in 2017 WC, not his best showing, can’t help wondering whether if he had been able to go to the Sochi Olympics he might have had more impetus- seems like a wasted talent...

10 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

:clapping-smiley:

I'm not sure a quad must necessarily be out of question, but skaters' health should be paramount. I am sure Yuzuru Hanyu will do a lot to make figure skating progress towards being safer. But I think, things are already starting to move. Thanks to people like her of course, but also thanks to more and more people being aware of the general problems, and to more and more coaches being aware there is not only one way of teaching skating.

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

:clapping-smiley:

1. Oksana lives in USA. *wink-wink*

2. These "twisted words" is about her criticism of Valieva's jumps and Valieva's only. *wink-wink*

3. ISU's answer to any problem regarding young senior ladies (ladies skaters ending their careers after 2-3 seasons, quads and 3a done by very young skaters that are dangerous and harder to attempt later in career, even for some reason Alexandrovskaya's death) is simply to rise age of being eligible to seniors. Which will solve: zero problems. So whenever someone rises voice about "child skaters / young girls" in "ladies figure skating" I can't help, but to think what they actually mean and support (even without explicitly mentioning the rise of age).

4. This "barbaric scoring system". Mhm....

On 9/30/2020 at 12:59 AM, Paskud said:

1. Oksana lives in USA. *wink-wink*

2. These "twisted words" is about her criticism of Valieva's jumps and Valieva's only. *wink-wink*

3. ISU's answer to any problem regarding young senior ladies (ladies skaters ending their careers after 2-3 seasons, quads and 3a done by very young skaters that are dangerous and harder to attempt later in career, even for some reason Alexandrovskaya's death) is simply to rise age of being eligible to seniors. Which will solve: zero problems. So whenever someone rises voice about "child skaters / young girls" in "ladies figure skating" I can't help, but to think what they actually mean and support (even without explicitly mentioning the rise of age).

4. This "barbaric scoring system". Mhm....

I don't know what she thinks of raising the age limit but if someone has every right to speak out about these young skaters then it's Oksana considering what happened to her. I thought it was just a bit excessive that she posted or commented only about Valieva (haven't read anything from her before about other skaters, Trusova, Shcherbakova, Liu or others, maybe she'll do it in the future). Some of the replies to her in the comments were really rude though so I think it's fine she doesn't keep her opinion to herself and speaks out.

(I should post it in the small fed skaters thread because Aljona is not yet retired officially...but:) 

Olympic Channel has recently uploaded a video with all her programs from the five Olympic Games she went to. It's a long video but it is worth watching. :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:I recently watched many videos of her because I read her autobiography not so long ago and while I was reading about her career I watched her old programs. She also had very good non-Olympic programs as well like L'Oiseau (this was her favourite program), Schindler's List, Out of Africa, The Mission or her programs with Bruno pre-2017/18. Pink Panther was famous though it is not amongst my favourites of hers.

La terre vue du ciel at the Olympics (but also at Worlds) was perfection. <3 

On 10/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, sallycinnamon said:

(I should post it in the small fed skaters thread because Aljona is not yet retired officially...but:) 

Olympic Channel has recently uploaded a video with all her programs from the five Olympic Games she went to. It's a long video but it is worth watching. :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:I recently watched many videos of her because I read her autobiography not so long ago and while I was reading about her career I watched her old programs. She also had very good non-Olympic programs as well like L'Oiseau (this was her favourite program), Schindler's List, Out of Africa, The Mission or her programs with Bruno pre-2017/18. Pink Panther was famous though it is not amongst my favourites of hers.

La terre vue du ciel at the Olympics (but also at Worlds) was perfection. <3 

Not only is she not officially retired, she gave an interview this summer where she said she was thinking about competing some more. The woman's got the fountain of youth figured out when it comes to skating...