Hey, remember us?

interview with Sergei Voronov about his career and future plans

When they write that I did not make it to all three Olympics and this is my main "achievement", it is funny to read, of course. Yes, God bless them - I will bring it into my asset. This only makes me want to realize myself in life even more. You need to be able to close pages on time, and not close them in agony. We are all not eternal, and sport is not eternal - new people come, new heroes. And as the heroes and heroines are changing now, I feel happy that I skated until I was 32.

https://tass.ru/interviews/9457871

10 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Random but I don’t know why I suddenly watched Plush’s Nijinsky program again and it really is a masterpiece. Although I wonder, what was the choreography inspired by? Since as far as I am aware there isn’t any actual footage of Vaslav Nijinsky’s dancing, is there? 

I think there's a few seconds-long footage of him an a good deal of photos. But there are elements or whole choreographic scores of works he danced.

In this program there are two not so short musical reminiscences from Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazad, choreographed for Nijinsky by Fokine. I wonder if the opening pose isn't from Le Dieu bleu (The Blue God), choreographed by the same to a Reynaldo Hahn music and created by Nijinsky, which choreo is lost. And there is also a shorter move from L'Après-Midi d'un Faune (The Afternoon of a Faun) on a music by Debussy, choreographed by Nijinsky for himself.

And probably others I don't know or see.

There are also the versions made by his sister Bronislava Nijinska who worked alongside him on L’apres midi d’un faun etc and was a choreographer in her own right (Les noces) .  She worked with western ballet companies In the 1960s to recreate their work from the 1920s.  On YouTube there is a vid with a sequence of photos which give you an idea of what Nijinsky ‘s movement might have looked like, especially if you read the eyewitness accounts of actual performances beforehand.

13 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

I think there's a few seconds-long footage of him an a good deal of photos. But there are elements or whole choreographic scores of works he danced.

In this program there are two not so short musical reminiscences from Rimsky-Korsakov's Sheherazad, choreographed for Nijinsky by Fokine. I wonder if the opening pose isn't from Le Dieu bleu (The Blue God), choreographed by the same to a Reynaldo Hahn music and created by Nijinsky, which choreo is lost. And there is also a shorter move from L'Après-Midi d'un Faune (The Afternoon of a Faun) on a music by Debussy, choreographed by Nijinsky for himself.

And probably others I don't know or see.

Wow that’s amazing, thank you for telling me! Do you happen to have videos/pictures of those moments you mentioned? No pressure at all, just curious if you have them haha.

12 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

There are also the versions made by his sister Bronislava Nijinska who worked alongside him on L’apres midi d’un faun etc and was a choreographer in her own right (Les noces) .  She worked with western ballet companies In the 1960s to recreate their work from the 1920s.  On YouTube there is a vid with a sequence of photos which give you an idea of what Nijinsky ‘s movement might have looked like, especially if you read the eyewitness accounts of actual performances beforehand.

Thank you so much for sharing too! And yes, I can definitely see the inspiration behind the choreography of Plushenko’s program from this footage.

As far as I know, Yuzuru’s program is not meant to tribute Nijinsky, right? To the best of my knowledge “Origin” was a tribute to Plushenko rather than to Nijinsky.