Hey, remember us?

On 6/5/2019 at 5:03 PM, hoodie axel said:

Does Ilyinikh have ballet pedigree? I can't find it on her wikipedia page, and seems strange that they would hire her without any. She's obviously better than supposed "balletic" skaters, but still interested in finding out.

I think not. They're together as a couple, that might be the reason why she got the role.

10 minutes ago, anski said:

I don’t know but Polunin’s ballet was pretty criticised here in the UK. A lot of people found it distasteful that he danced shirtless showing his Putin tattoo :S 

I can imagine people don't like him there after he resigned from the Royal Ballet.

5 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I think not. They're together as a couple, that might be the reason why she got the role.

I can imagine people don't like him there after he resigned from the Royal Ballet.

Maybe! In the end I didn’t go see the show because the prices were extortionate and I like Elena but not so much as to spend over a hundred quid for a restricted view seat to watch her dance :xD: but all the reviews I’ve seen weren’t very appreciative of Polunin’s art.

Just now, anski said:

Maybe! In the end I didn’t go see the show because the prices were extortionate and I like Elena but not so much as to spend over a hundred quid for a restricted view seat to watch her dance :xD: but all the reviews I’ve seen weren’t very appreciative of Polunin’s art.

I can only imagine the prices.

It didn't surprise me that it got negative reviews in the British press.

I don’t think the negative reviews were related to his leaving the Royal Ballet - that was in 2012 and they’ve a far more reliable danseur noble in Vadim Muntagirov now.  I think the UK press don’t like his politics, his homophobic  and fat shaming posts on social media, which got him sacked from a freelance job at the Paris Opera, and his general attitude.  The critical reviews I read found his show self indulgent and tedious.  He’s a wonderful dancer but without the discipline of a company he’s free to do what he wants without anyone telling him - actually, that’s not very good, think again, and he lacks the self critical characteristic that might help him rein himself in. It’s a waste of a great talent  because backers won’t bankroll him indefinitely if his shows disappoint the paying audiences.

Yea, after reading the reviews I was so happy I didn’t go as I don’t wanna support someone like Polunin. Tbh I knew nothing of him and just wanted to go because of Elena and because I found the concept of this Rasputin ballet intriguing. 

Reading it, it's easy to see why Scott was cheering Yuzu on so emotionally!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jun/18/virtue-moir-canada-ice-dance-winter-olympics

The entire experience, which culminated in a bitterly disappointing silver medal, was clouded by a simmering rift with coach Marina Zoueva and newspaper claims that the ice-dance result had been fixed by American and Russian judges.

It was supposed to be Virtue and Moir’s perfect swansong but instead they headed into presumed retirement full of anger, frustration and resentment. Moir, in particular, was disillusioned by all of it.

“I was just kind of sour with the sport,” he says. “I didn’t want anything to do with it. I went into a period of excessive partying and doing anything that wasn’t figure skating, really. I went and built a house with my brother. I shut the whole world out and shut everything down.”

But the break – regardless of the emotions that came with it – was badly needed. “Gaining the perspective to reflect and reassess was paramount,” Virtue says.