About the Phiten necklaces Yuzu wears

malt

I'd just like to make sure if the Phiten necklaces Yuzu wears are just sponsors or if he actually favours them since a long time ago?

There are 2 Phiten necklaces Yuzu wears (mirror ball & chopper), which one does he wear more often?

(both are soooo~ expensive TAT)

He has been using Phiten since when he was 8. Following is Phiten's announcement released in 2014. (ETA: The release might have been in 2015)

"この度、ファイテン株式会社は、フィギュアスケーターの羽生結弦選手とアドバイザリー契約を締結いたしました。8歳の頃からファイテンを使用し始め、数々の国際大会でも欠かさず着用。体の感覚が違うことを実感し、愛用されるようになりました。ファイテンはこれからも羽生選手のコンディショニングをサポートして参ります。"

Translation: "This time, Phiten Co., LTD has signed an advisory contract with figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu. He started using Phiten products when he was eight years old, and he has been wearing them in many international competitions since then. (T/n: After wearing the first one,) he started using it habitually, realizing that it made a difference in how he felt physically. Phiten will continue to contribute to Hanyu senshu's conditioning."

Source: https://www.phiten.com/hanyu-project/

On this page, :68271262: they explains the brief history of Yuzu and Phiten 

https://www.phiten.com/hanyu-project/history/index.html#noscript

Here is a rough translation and explanation of its content:

8歳のときから、氷上で一緒だったファイテン。
Phiten has been with him on the ice since when he was 8.

2006年、ファイテンショップを訪れた12才の羽生選手が記したメッセージ。
A message he left at a Phiten shop in 2006 when he was 12.

ジャンプとスピンの鉄人!
羽生結弦 12才
アイスリンクで毎日練習しているので、見に来てください。全部大会で優勝できるよう頑張ます!!
Strong in "jumps and spins"!
Yuzuru Hanyu 12 years old
I am practicing every day at the ice rink, so come and watch me. I will do my best to win at every competition I participate in!

『ジャンプとスピンの鉄人になる』
12歳の少年が描いた夢。
"I am going to be strong in jumps and spins."
The dream a 12-year-old boy envisioned

8歳の頃、父の薦めで出会ったファイテン。当時通っていたファイテンの店舗には、
彼の屈託のない笑顔の写真と手書きのコメントが残されている。
『ジャンプとスピンの鉄人になる』『全部大会で優勝』―そこに描かれた少年の夢こそ、
この後彼が紡いでゆく栄光の軌跡の原点であった。
He used Phiten first when he was 8, recommended by his father. At the Phiten shop where they used to go back then, there is a photo of him smiling carefree and his handwritten comment.
"Become strong in jumps and spins," "Win at every competition I participate in."--The dream he envisioned in there was the origin of his glory after that.

*After that, they introduce the models he used in 4CC2011, COR2011, GPF2013-2014, Sochi2014, WFC2014, and the one used in GPF2014-2015 and JNats2014, respectively.

Thank you!! Your a life saver!! I was scanning through his photos and the necklaces he used since 2010, but some of them seem different to the ones he uses now. The history one was SUPER useful :)

Are there any advices from users of Phiten products?

Although I've decided that I must buy a necklace (prob the chopper one since it seems to appear the most frequently), I'd like to know the effectiveness of its "healing effects".

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, kay said:

i'm trying to distract myself from the ongoing worry. by shopping. 

does anyone has more details on the new gold wing shaped necklace? it is clearly branded as one of Yuzuru's necklaces, but was there real life evidence?

He was wearing it in 24h charity show promo in August. Then fans began their search and Phiten announced that it was a new collaboration. You can see Yuzu wearing it in some of the recent white wall videos. 

47 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

He was wearing it in 24h charity show promo in August. Then fans began their search and Phiten announced that it was a new collaboration. You can see Yuzu wearing it in some of the recent white wall videos. 

thanks a lot!! now i just need to decide on the size then

• 9 months later...
On 3/8/2022 at 9:06 AM, birnasan said:

Article about Yuzuru and Phiten from Quadruple Axel magazine (December 2021), automatically translated with OCR and deepL. I don't speak Japanese and this is not a proper translation. 

(Since it is not always possible to translate Japanese names with deepL correctly, I tried to write any names in kanji. If I made mistakes, I apologize to the owners of the names.)

Reveal hidden contents

羽生結弦ファイテン

[特別企画]

王者を支える最新テクノロジー

Yuzuru Hanyu Phiten

[Special Report]

The Latest Technology Behind the Champions

幅広いスポーツ関連商品などを手がける「ファイテン」から〈RAKUWAネックウイングスゴールド)がこのほど、発売された。

ファイテンのネックレスや5本指ソックスを愛用し、同社がアドバイザリー契約を結ぶ羽生結弦のために開発された待望の新商品でもある。発売を記念し、絶対王者とファイテンとの出会いから、商品開発の秘話やこだわりに至るまで、ネックレスを担当する端岡裕一・生産本部副本部長/商品企画部長と、ソックス担当者の金成牽商品企画部商品製作チーム長の言葉とともに、製作の舞台裏に迫る。

取材·文/編集部

Text by Editorial Div.

Phiten, which is involved in a wide range of sports-related products, has recently released "RAKUWA Neck Wings Gold".

This long-awaited new product was developed for Yuzuru Hanyu, who uses Phiten's necklaces and five-toe socks, and with whom Phiten has an advisory contract. In celebration of the release of this necklace, we take a look behind the scenes, from the first meeting between the absolute champion and Phiten, to the secret story of the product development and attention to detail, as told by 端岡裕ー, Deputy General Manager of the Production Division and General Manager of the Product Planning Department, who is in charge of the necklace, and  金成牽, General Manager of the Product Planning Department and Product Production Team, who is in charge of the socks.

Interview and text by Editorial Div.

ファイテンのホームベージには、羽生との出会いは8歳のころ、父の薦めだったと紹介されている。そのことはファイテン社内でも有名だ。

端岡氏も「ファイテンは野球選手にご愛用いただいていることが多く、私がお聞きしている話では、野球をされていた羽生選手のお父さまがネックレスをつけてくださっていたそうです。その影響から結弦さんも仙台の店に出入りしておられたということです」と語る。

On Phiten's home page, it says that they first met Hanyu when he was 8 years old, at the advice of his father. This is well known within Phiten.

According to 端岡, "Phiten is often used by baseball players, and from what I know, Hanyu's father, who played baseball, used to wear the necklace. Because of this, Yuzuru-san also visited the store in Sendai," he said.

8歳のときから、氷上で一緒だったファイテンーー。2006年には、当時12歳だった羽生がファイテンショップを訪れた際、「ジャンプとスピンの鉄人になる」「全部大会で優勝できるように頑張る!」と誓った手書きのメッセージが残されている。

14歳で史上最年少となるジュニアグランプリ(GP)ファイナル制覇。その後もシニアへ転向して数々の記録を打ち立てていく。銀メダルを獲得した11年四大陸選手権、頂点に立った同年のGPシリーズロシア杯、13年GPファイナル、そしてソチ五輪、14年GPファイナル、第83回全日本選手権……。同社ホームページには節目の大会で羽生が身につけた〈RAKUWAネック〉が大会記録とともに掲載されている。絶対王者の首元にはいつも「つけているとカラダの感覚が違う」と本人が語るファイテンのネックレスがつけられていたのだ。

Hanyu has been on the ice with Phiten since he was 8 years old, and in 2006, when the then 12-year-old Hanyu visited the Phiten Shop, he left a handwritten message in which he promised, "I will become a master of jumps and spins," and "I will try my best to win all competitions!"

At the age of 14, he won the Junior Grand Prix (GP) Final, as the youngest male in history. After that, he changed to the senior level and achieved many more records. He won a silver medal at the Four Continents Championships in 2011, the GP Series Russia Cup in the same year, the GP Final in 2013, the Olympic Games in Sochi, the GP Final in 2014, and the 83rd All-Japan Championships... The company's website shows the RAKUWA necklaces worn by Hanyu at these milestone events, alongside his competition records. The absolute champion always wore a Phiten necklace around his neck, which he says "gives me a different feeling in my body when I wear it".

両者の距離が緊密になっていったのは、まだソチ五輪の前だったという。端岡氏が振り返る。

「ソチ五輪で金メダルを獲られる前に、あるご縁がありました。フィギュア関係のお仕事をされている方から、『将来を嘱望されている"未来モンスター" のような選手がいる』とお聞きしました。じつは、その人こそが羽生選手だったのです。弊社の商品をとても気に入ってつけてくれているということで、『本人に名前入りでネックレスをプレゼントしてあげられるような段取りをしてくれないか』と依頼を受けました」

It was still before the Sochi Olympics that their relationship began to become closer. As 端岡 recalls:

"Before he won the gold medal at the Sochi Olympics, we had a special meeting. I heard from someone who works in the figure skating business that there was an athlete who looked like a 'future superstar' with a bright future. As it turns out, that athlete was Hanyu. He told us that he liked our products so much that he asked us if we could arrange for him to receive a necklace with his name on it as a personalized item."

羽生がまだ15歳か16歳のころだったという。ファイテンには、技術を高く評価してくれるアスリートたちの思いに応えていく、という社風がある。ネックレスの開発を担当していた端岡氏は、羽生がネックレスを愛用してくれていることが嬉しかったという。依頼を受けて調べてみると、フィギュアの世界ではすでに人気のスケーターだったことが判明して驚いた。

This was when Hanyu was only 15 or 16 years old. Phiten has a company culture of responding to the wishes of athletes who appreciate their technology. 端岡, who was in charge of the development of the necklace, was happy to see that Hanyu was using the necklace. Upon receiving the request, he did some research and was surprised to find out that he was already a popular skater in the figure skating world.

「写真集がもうすぐ出版されるというときで、スケートファンの間ではすでにスターになっていました。さっそく市販のネックレスに『YUZU』と名前を入れてプレゼントさせていただいたのですが、それをご本人がいたく気に入ってくださって、プライベートでも氷上でもずっとそれをつけてくださるようになりました」

肌身離さず「YUZU」の名前入りネックレスをつけるようになった羽生はその後、19歳で五輪王者へと駆け上がり、フィギュア界という枠を飛び越えて、日本スポーツ界を代表するアスリートへと進化を遂げた。

"He was already a star among skating fans as his first photo book was about to be published. I immediately gave him a commercial necklace with the name 'YUZU' on it as a gift, and he loved it so much that he started wearing it all the time, both in private and on the ice."

After wearing the necklace with the name "YUZU" on it all the time, and at the age of 19, he became an Olympic champion, transcending the boundaries of figure skating to become one of the leading athletes in Japanese sport.

「そんなすごい人なんだということをあらためて思い知らされましたね。その後もあれよあれよという間に、弊社のネックレスを着用されたままスターになられた。当初、私自身はまったくその流れについていけていませんでした。羽生選手に感心させられたのは、その人間性です。その後、商品開発でもご意見を伺うことになるのですが、あれほど偉大な選手になられても、いつも礼儀正しく、自然体で接してくれます。一生懸命に話してくれ、その内容も的確といいますか。まさに非の打ちどころのない好青年です。そして、弊社の商品をその後もずっと愛用いただいています」

"I was reminded once again what an amazing person he was. After that, in no time at all, he became a star while wearing our necklace. In the beginning, I wasn't able to keep up with it. What impressed me about Mr. Hanyu was his humanity. Even though he had become such a great athlete, he was always polite and natural to me. He always tried his best to talk to me, and his words were very precise. He is truly an outstanding young man. And he has been using our products ever since."

端岡氏によると、ファイテンはアスリートとの契約の有無に関係なく、製品についての要望があれば積極的に対応する社風があるという。「よかったらつけてください」「パフォーマンスが少しでも上がるのであれば」という願いで、普段から製品を愛用する羽生へのサポートがあったという。担当者は羽生の競技に向かう姿勢に心打たれ、王者とファイテンの関係性は現場でも深まっていった。「契約の話が出てくるのは、そのあとなんです」と端岡氏は言う。こうして、2014年12月、羽生とファイテンはアドバイザリー契約を締結することになる。ファイテン側から見れば、契約締結によって、「サポート」から形態が変わったというだけのことだった。

According to 端岡, Phiten has a company culture that actively responds to athlete requests for their products, regardless of whether they have a contract with the company or not. He says that Phiten's support for Hanyu, who uses their products on a regular basis, was based on the hope that he would wear the products and that they would improve his performances. The person in charge was impressed by Hanyu's attitude toward competition, and the relationship between the champion and Phiten grew deeper. "It was only after that," says 端岡, "that we started talking about a contract with him." Thus, in December 2014, Hanyu and Phiten signed an advisory contract. From Phiten's point of view, the contract was simply a formal change in their "support".

ファイテンには、あるこだわりがある。それが「アスリートファースト」の精神だ。「私たちは『アスリートファースト』でモノづくりをしています。ですから、競技の妨げになるような商品はそもそも企画しません。選手のパフォーマンスが最優先だからです。そのため、パフォーマンスをじゃますることのない『軽く』『小さい』デザインを心がけていや」

それぞれの競技の特性についても細心の注意を払っている。フィギュアスケートのルールでは、衣装や装飾などの一部が氷上に落下すると減点されてしまう。このため、ファイテンはネックレスが外れにくいように強度を高めた設計を施している。羽生には着脱時の磨耗に考慮し、定期的に新しい商品を提供しているという。

Phiten has a special policy. That is the "athlete first" concept. "We create our products with the idea of 'athletes first'. That's why we don't design products that would interfere with competition. This is because the athlete's performance is our top priority. Therefore, we try to design products that are 'light' and 'small' so that they do not disturb their performance".

They also pay close attention to the characteristics of each sport. According to the rules of figure skating, points are deducted if any part of the costume or decoration falls on the ice. For this reason, Phiten has designed the necklace to be strong enough to prevent it from falling off. They have been providing Hanyu with new products on a regular basis, taking into account how they get damaged when they are worn on and off.

羽生の肉体の変化にも神経をとがらせる。端岡氏は「首のサイズも若干ですが、太くなったり細くなったりすることがあります。ですから、1センチ刻みで3種類のサイズを用意して、『このなかからいちばん合うサイズをつけてください』とお渡しするようにしています」と話す。

He is also sensitive to the changes in Hanyu's body. 端岡 said, "The size of the neck can also become slightly thicker or thinner. That's why I prepare three different sizes in one-centimeter increments and give them to him, saying, 'Please wear the size that fits you best'," he says.

羽生は〈RAKUWAネック〉のなかでも、〈ミラーボール〉と〈チョッパーモデル〉の2種類を好んでいる。端岡氏によれば、「この2つはご本人がものすごく気に入ってつけてくださったネックレスです。いくつかお渡ししているなかで選んでくれたようです。羽生選手はこの2種類を同時につけてくださっていますが、こちらから『これとこれをつけてください』とお願いするわけではありません。『よかったらつけてください』とお渡しして、気に入ってもらえたのが、この2つでした。〈チョッパー〉はトップの部分がVの形になっていて、〈ミラーボール〉は丸い形なので、Vの間に丸がきれいにはまるのが気に入られているようです」という。

Hanyu prefers two types of RAKUWA Necklaces, the Mirror Ball and the Chopper Model. According to 端岡: "These are the two necklaces that he really likes to wear. It seems that he chose these two necklaces out of several that I gave him. Hanyu wears both of these necklaces at the same time, we don't ask him to choose between them. Instead, we gave him these two and he liked them both. The "chopper" has a V-shape , and the "mirror ball" is round, so he likes the way the ball fits nicely in the V" he said.

羽生がつけていた〈ミラーボール〉は当初、〈チョッパーモデル〉と同じブラックだった。現在の羽生の胸元には、アースカラーと呼ばれるブルーのモデルが輝いている。アースカラーはどのように誕生したのか。

The "Mirror Ball" that Hanyu wore was initially black, the same color as the "Chopper Model". Today, Hanyu wears a blue model called "Earth Color" on his chest. How did the Earth Color come into being?

再び端岡氏が解説する。「最初は〈ミラーボール〉と〈チョッパー〉、それぞれの黒をお渡ししていたのですが、弊社の社長も含めたプロダクトミーティングの際に〈ミラーボール〉のプルーをお渡ししました。羽生選手はそのときにつけていた黒のモデルを外し、私たちの目の前でつけ替えてくれました。そのときのことはとても印象に残っています。私としては従来の黒からカラーチェンジしたブルーはチャレンジの色ですから、『いつかつけてくださるかな』と期待しつつお見せしたので、その場でつけてくれたときには、本当に感動しましたね。『おお~』と(笑)。まさに開発者冥利に尽きる瞬間でした。気に入ってもらえたようで、そこからはずっとブルーをつけてくれています。なぜブルーにしたのかというと、羽生選手のクールな王子様のイメージにブルーが似合うかなという発想からでした。氷上の競技を連想しゃすいという思いもあります。『アースカラー』という地球をイメージしたネーミングには、金メダルが"世界一" イコール"地球一" ということから、地球でいちばんすごい人。というメッセージを込めています」

端岡 explained again. "At first, we gave him the black Mirror Ball and Chopper, but during a product meeting that included our president, we showed him the blue version of the Mirror Ball. Hanyu took off the black model he was wearing at that time and changed it in front of us. That was a very memorable moment for me. For me, the color change from black to blue was quite challenging, so I showed it to him, hoping that he would wear it someday, and I was really touched when he wore it right then and there. I was really impressed when he put it on. (laughs) It was truly a moment of great satisfaction for the developers. He liked it so much that he has been wearing the blue one ever since. The reason why we chose blue was because we thought blue would suit Hanyu's image as a cool young man. I also thought it would be easy to associate with the competition on the ice. The name "Earth Color" was inspired by the image of the earth, because a gold medal is "the best in the world" and "the best on earth". This is the reason why I named it "Earth Color".

北京冬季五輪シーズンとなった今季、ファイテンが市場に投入した新商品が〈RAKUWAネックウイングスゴールド〉だ。

商品開発を担ったのは、今回も端岡氏だ。そこには同社ならではの細やかな気配りが隠されていた。

During the Beijing Winter Olympics season, Phiten introduced a new product to the market, RAKUWA Neck Wings Gold.

Once again, 端岡 was in charge of product development. The company's special attention to detail was hidden in this process.

「羽生選手のプライベートでの着用を基本とするため、『羽をモチーフにしたネックレス』がアイデアとして出ました。最初は〈ミラーボール〉や〈チョッパー〉に羽の刻印や柄を入れるようなイメージでした。ところが、現行のネックレスのトップは、競技の妨げにならないよう小さめに作っているため、羽をモチーフにしたレーザー刻印を入れるとデザインがわかりづらく、»傷" のようにしか見えなかったんです。それなら羽をかたどった小さいトッブを新たに作ろうと、発想を転換して作ったのが〈ウイングス〉でした」

トップのデザインは、羽をモチーフにしつつ、つけていてもじゃまにならない大きさと軽さへのこだわりを貫いた。

"The idea was to create a necklace with a feather motif for Hanyu to wear in his private life. At first, I imagined a mirror ball or chopper with a feather engraving or pattern. However, since the tops of the current necklaces are made small enough not to interfere with the competition, it would be difficult to recognize the design if it were laser engraved with a feather motif, and it would just look like a scratch. So we decided to make a new small top in the shape of a feather, and that's how we came up with the idea for Wings."

The design of the top is based on the motif of a feather, but the size and lightness are such that it does not become an obstacle when worn.

「エッジの立ったカッコいい仕上がりになるように先端を削ったり、軽さを表現するために羽が揺れている感じが出るように工夫しました。一方で、安全性にも配慮し、先端を削りすぎないように適度な仕上がりを意識しています。羽生選手には女性ファンの方も多いので、男性でも女性でも愛用していただけるように紐の太さもできるだけ細くして、全体的に小さくしたことも特徴のびとつです」

"I sharpened the edges to give it a stylish look, and I also tried to make the wings look like they were swaying in order to express lightness. On the other hand, I also took safety into consideration and made sure not to shave the edges too much so that the product would have a suitable quality. Since Hanyu has many female fans, we made the string as thin as possible and the overall size as small as possible so that both men and women can use it".

ゴールドのカラーにもこだわった。

端岡氏は「金メダリストにふさわしい色、そして、また獲っていただきたいという願いを込めてゴールドにしました」と強調する。

着用したときの感覚はこれまでのモデルと限りなく同じように設計されている。欠かせないのは、羽生のことを考えて企画しているという点にある。

端岡氏は「デザインもできるだけご本人に合うイメージを考えています技術的には、現状の最高のテクノロジーを組み込んでいますが、そのうえで羽生選手の魅力が損なわれないように、色や形状などには気をつけています」と打ち明ける。

The color of the gold was also carefully chosen.

端岡 emphasizes, "We chose gold as a color suitable for a gold medalist, and with the hope that he will win it again".

The feeling when wearing it is designed to be as similar as possible to the previous models. What is essential is the fact that it is designed specifically for Hanyu.

"Technically, we have incorporated the best technology available today, but we have also taken care of the color and shape so that the beauty of Hanyu will not be diminished," 端岡 explained.

ネックレスには、メタックスと呼ばれるファイテン最高レベルの技術が採用されている。「各種金属をナノレベルで水中に分散させる水溶化メタル技術です。メタルミックスの略でメタックスというのですが、これを紐の生地に染み込ませています。紐の中芯には、エラストマーという樹脂を使い、芯の部分と側の部分の二重構造にしています。こうしたファイテン最高レベルの技術で、羽生選手の身体をリラックス状態へとサポートしたいと考えています」(端岡出)

The necklace uses Phiten's highest level of technology, called Metax. 

"It's a technology for melting metals into water at the nano level. This is called Metax, which stands for metal mix, and it is soaked into the fabric of the string. The core of the cord is made of elastane, a special type of synthetic material that has a double-layered structure: the core and the side. We hope to support Hanyu's body into a state of relaxation with this top-level Phiten technology." (端岡出)

羽生にはもうひとつ、同じく氷上で愛用しているファイテンの商品がある。5本指の〈アクアチタンソックス〉だ。足裏の感覚がフィットし、演技バフォーマンスにもプラスになるという。ソックスに対する羽生のこだわりは非常に強い。開発を担当した金成至氏によれば、最大の特徴が親指と小指部分のテーピングラインにあるという。

Hanyu has another product from Phiten that he also uses on the ice, the five-toed AQUA TITANIUM socks. He says they give him a good feeling in the soles of his feet, which is beneficial for his performance. Hanyu is very particular about his socks. According to 金成至, who was in charge of the development of the socks, the most important feature is the taping line on the thumb and little toe.

「スケートは内側(インエッジ) から外側(アウトエッジ)への重心移動や、内側と外側のグリップ力などがとても重要なようで、ジャンプするときも踏ん張りを利かせるために、親指と小指がとても大事だということでした。とくに、トリプルアクセルなどのジャンプを跳ぶときは、小指にすごく力をかけるということで、そこをいちばん気にされていました。ソックスで補強するためにいろいろ試行錯誤した結果、親指と小指の部分にテービングラインを入れることで、指を広げやすく、力を入れやすくするようにしました。その部分の開発に最も時間がかかりましたね」

"In skating, it's very important to move your center of gravity from inside (in-edge) to outside (out-edge), to have a good control on both inside and outside edge, and to have a good balance between your thumb and little toe when you jump. Especially for jumps such as the triple axel, you have to put a lot of pressure on the little toe, and that is the most important thing for him. After a lot of trial and error, we decided to reinforce the socks with a stretching effect on the thumb and little toe to make it easier to spread the toes and apply pressure. It took us the longest time to develop that part of the sock."

ファイテンでは、さまざまな競技のアスリートの声をフィードバックしてソックスの開発を行なっているが、親指と小指の補強をリクエストされたのは初めてだったという。

「どちらかというと排指球を気にされる方が多いです。『掛指球のところにパッドを入れたい』とか『足首を固定したい』といった要望はよくあるのですが、指の補強については初めてでした。なので、最初は純粋に『どうすればいいか……』という思いがありましたね。そのような開発経験はありませんでしたし、工場も製造経験がなかったので。ご本人と直接お会いしたときに、『指の感覚がいちばん重要なんです』とお話しいただいたので、『そこはなんとかしたい』という思いで、『とりあえずサンプルを1回作ってみましょう」というところからスタートして、試作を繰り返しました」

Phiten develops socks based on feedback from athletes in a wide range of sports, but this was the first time they had received a request to strengthen the thumb and little toe.

"Most people are focused on the ball of the toe," he says. "We get a lot of requests like 'I want to have a pad on my toes' or 'I want to fix my ankle', but this was the first time we had to strengthen the toes. So at first I was genuinely thinking 'how can we do this...?' I didn't have any experience in that kind of development and the factory had no experience in producing them. When I met him in person, he told me that the most important thing was to feel the sensation in the toes, so I wanted to do something about that, and so we decided to make one prototype, and then we repeated the process."

完成までには苦労も多かった。ファイテンは多様な試作品を羽生に提案し、最もフィットするタイプの模索を続けた。試作品を作ってのやり取りは10回以上に及んだという。絶対王者の感覚はとても繊細で、生地の薄さや指の着用感へのこだわりもひと際、強かったのだ。

羽生の驚くべき感覚を象徴するエピソードがある。あるとき、ソックスの製造工場が変更になったのだが、羽生はこれまでとの違いを敏感に感じ取り、「前回までのものと違いますね」と指摘したのだという。目付や作業工程はこれまでと同じだったが、ソックスをとても大切にしている羽生には、その「差」は見逃せないものだったのだろう。「足を通したときの感覚や手触りが、前とちょっと違います」と言う羽生の感覚の鋭さに、開発スタッフは心底驚いた。

There was a lot of hard work involved in completing the product. Phiten proposed a variety of prototypes to Hanyu and continued to search for the best fitting type. They went back and forth more than 10 times on the prototypes. The absolute champion's senses are very sensitive, and he was very particular about the thinness of the fabric and the feel of the toes.

There is an episode that demonstrates Hanyu's amazing senses. One time, when the factory where the socks were made changed, Hanyu sensed the difference and immediately said, "These socks are different from the previous ones". The weight and the manufacturing process were the same as before, but Hanyu, who takes his socks very seriously, couldn't miss the difference. The development staff were surprised by Hanyu's sharp senses: "The feeling and touch when I put the socks on my feet is a bit different from before," he said.

「正直なところ、以前のものと何が違うのか、私たちにもわからないくらいだったんです。それだけ羽生選手の感覚は研ぎ澄まされているのだと実感させられました」

量販店などで市販されている一般のビジネスソックスなら3足1000円程度が相場になる。はき心地の違いがわかる人はそうはいないはずだ。羽生の肌感覚がいかに異次元かがわかる。金氏は自らも試作品に足を通し、王者が理想とする「最高のソックス」を追い求めた。超一流のアスリートに寄り添い、ファイテンは自社の技術力を駆使し、高めていったのだった。

"To be honest, we didn't know what the difference was between the previous one and this one. That's how sharp Hanyu's senses are."

A pair of ordinary business socks on the market will cost around 1,000 yen for three pairs. I'm not sure how many people can tell the difference in comfort. You can see how different Hanyu's skin sensation is. 金has himself put his feet through prototypes in order to find the ideal "best socks" for the champion. By working closely with the top athlete, Phiten was able to improve its own technological capabilities.

「羽生選手はとてもご多忙なので、直接お会いできたのは一度だけでした。そこからはサンプルのやりとりだけだったので、ちょっと不安はあったのですが、最終的には承認をいただけて、そのときは本当にホッとしました」

じつは、この“羽生モデル”のソックスが誕生するまでには、知られぎるストーリーがあった。

"Hanyu is a very busy man, so I was only able to meet him in person once. We only exchanged a number of prototypes, so I was a little worried, but in the end he gave his approval and I was really relieved."

In fact, there is a well-known story behind the birth of the "Hanyu model" socks.

「羽生選手は、もともとファイテンショップで取り扱っていた5本指のビジネスソックスを使用してくださっていました。その後、商品のリニューアルに伴ってそのソックスはラインナップから外れることになったのですが、羽生選手サイドから『それだけ(5本指ソックス) は残しておいてほしい」と要望をいただいたんです。それで、特別に羽生選手専用で、同じモデルをずっと作り続けていました。市販モデルは何千、何万という数を作りますが、専用モデルでは数十足程度になります。ビジネスとしては賢くないですね(笑)」

しかし、羽生のこだわりに、メーカーとして少しでも近づこうと努力を積み重ねた。その結果、いま羽生が使用する特別仕様のソックスとして結実したのだった。

ファイテンは開発を通して、羽生結弦という世界的なスケーターから多くのことを学ぶ機会も得たという。

"Hanyu used to wear the special five-toed business socks that we used to sell at the Phiten Shop in the past. However, Hanyu requested that we keep those socks for him. So we kept making this special model especially for Hanyu. We make thousands or tens of thousands of socks for the market, but only a few dozen for the exclusive model. It's not the smartest business idea (laughs)."

However, Hanyu was very particular about his socks, and the company made every effort to get as close as possible to his wishes. As a result, the special edition socks that Hanyu uses today have been created.

Throughout the development of these socks, Phiten has had the opportunity to learn many things from the world-famous skater Yuzuru Hanyu.

端岡氏は「いっばいありすぎて……」と頭を抱えつつ、「礼儀正しさ、継続性、こだわり、粘り強さ、そして絶対にやるという意志の強さ。競技前の集中力はまさにプロフェッショナルですよね。ストイックだからこそ、結果を出し続けられるのだと思います」と分析する。

企業精神に通じる大切な要素をパフォートンスにつなげる。それが絶対王者、羽生結弦の強さの秘訣なのだろう。そのことを、ファイテンは理解しているからこそ、最高の商品を提供し続けようとしている。

最後に、ケガからの復帰へ人知れず努力を続けている羽生へのメッセージをもらった。「弊社でできることなら、なんでもおっしゃってほしいです。できることならなんでも全力でさせていただきますので、『支えさせてください』という気持ちです」。端岡氏はこう力を

込めた。

端岡 chuckled, "There are so many things...," he said, "politeness, persistence, commitment, tenacity and the will to do it. His concentration before a competition is very special. I think it is this attitude of stoicism that allows him to keep achieving results".

Hanyu's performance is a result of the essential elements of his work ethic. This is probably the secret of Yuzuru Hanyu's strength as an absolute champion. Phiten understands this, and that is why they continue to offer him the best products.

Finally, we asked him to give a message to Hanyu, who has been working hard to recover from his injury. "If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know. We will do everything we can to help you, so please let us support you". 端岡 added: The company will do everything we can to support you.

Thank you for posting and translating this article :tumblr_inline_mfy92hO4sm1qid2nw:

I found the bit about the toesocks really interesting! I've been wondering for a while about them. Especially since Beijing, where I found some photo-comments about Yuzu in his toesocks quite belittling... :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:

They seem to be very important for the quality of his skating!

(maybe even some of his jump-saves were only possible because of them?!)