2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo

sallycinnamon

3 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Congrats to him!

I did watch some athletics today: men’s pole vault, women’s hammer throwing, some running… what did I miss? 
At least it didn’t pelt with rain like it did yesterday. 

10 minutes ago, Fay said:

I did watch some athletics today: men’s pole vault, women’s hammer throwing, some running… what did I miss? 
At least it didn’t pelt with rain like it did yesterday. 

men shot put and women javelin throw

I am glad that Japan won gold and silver (silver medalist is 12 years old!), but I was more moved by their sportsmanship and friendship. The Japanese player in the last photo, Misugu Okamoto, is in the top at world ranking but made mistake in her first and second run. She could have aimed for the medal in her last run doing easy trick but challenged harder one instead, but fell and finished in the 4th place as overall result. Other players held her and cheered her up because she was crying. I really love these kind of moments in the sports. Congrats to Sky Brown, she also did amazing job. I learnt that she was born in Miyazaki of Japan since her mother was Japanese. The commentator said the three medalists were really good friends and Sky became a translator for Japanese players at the international contests. That is very sweet of her!

The 10 km open water final was fun! Congrats to Germany on the gold medal.

And to Kristóf on the silver. He was training for this Olympics in a thermal lake that is 35 C and it helped him to get the result. Good job.

Paltrinieri got the bronze - I was surprised to see him at this event because he usually races in 800 m and 1500 m.

Lisa won her 3rd gold medal here. 🤯 Can she win her 4th too in K4?

Congratulations to Tamara too!

K1 200 m is at the Olympics since 2012 and it is the first time a Hungarian could win it. Sándor said yesterday he enjoys competing here, he got used to hot weather because he is a 'summer child' and he doesn't mind if it will be even warmer in this final. 😊 Congratulations to him!

I just love Michael Johnson’s athletics commentary on the BBC - have done for some time now - he’s articulate, incisive and spares no one.  Not at all surprising that he chooses to comment outside the US - I’ve only ever watched US commentary of figure skating and gymnastics and both were rabidly nationalistic.  Today he’s skewering the US 4x100m relay, but he’s just as blunt about everyone. He’s refreshing in bbc coverage which is sketchy and focussed on GB success which is fine but often ignores the medalists who won/ got silver if GB is down the pecking order.  Doesn’t happen with MJ in the chair.  I was a big fan of his as a competitor and he’s a wonderful commentator.