2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo

sallycinnamon

5 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Congrats to Russia on winning gold in MAG, they were really strong today. And also congrats to Japan and China on finishing 2nd and 3rd.

Table tennis mixed doubles was so exciting. It is a new event at this Olympics so Japan not only won their first ever gold in this sport but they are also the first champions of mixed doubles. Congratulations! :clap: Will China's crazy dominance (28 wins out of 32 at the Olympics) be broken by Japan? We will see in the individual & team events.

23 時間前, sallycinnamonさんが言いました:

Korea's dominance in archery is longer than Russia's is artistic swimming - interestingly artistic swimming was dominated by USA, Canada and Japan in the 80s and 90s (it's an Olympic sport since 1984), but then something happened in the late 1990s, USA dropped from the podium completely and Russia has been dominating for 20 years now since Sydney 2000. I think they will win again this time too.

Thank you, that's shorter than I had imagined, I think I counted other competitions as well such as World Championships because every time I watch them, they won :laughing: I remember Japan was stronger before, the current team is also not bad though. 

This morning, Momiji and Funa, Gold medalist and Bronze medalist of Skateboarding were on morning show. They were asked what they were talking during the game, and they said they were talking about "Rascal". Rascal is very very old anime and Funa listened to its song during her performances.

Simone Biles withdrew from the Team Final... News is that it is not injury related, but mental health issues. I wonder why *shifty eyes at NBC*

5 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Naomi Osaka is out of the Olympics, she hasn't even reached the quarterfinals...

Cringe. This is why it's better to have retired, or even just former, medalists to do the torch bearing.

39 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

Simone Biles withdrew from the Team Final... News is that it is not injury related, but mental health issues. I wonder why *shifty eyes at NBC*

Cringe. This is why it's better to have retired, or even just former, medalists to do the torch bearing.

Yes. There is a reason why usually retired Olympic medalists/former Olympic medalists light the cauldrons and not active athletes who hasn't got any results so far at Olympics. Athletes like Cathy Freeman are the rarest exceptions.

Women tennis is very unpredictable, Naomi doesn't seem to be in good form in the past months, she WD from RG, didn't even compete at Wimbledon so yeah. But this is happens when they want to appeal to Western (particularly USA) sponsors.

And Russia wins Artistic Gymnastics ladies team event too, after they won in men. Hats off to them! :clap: USA is 2nd, Great Britain 3rd.

3 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Yes. There is a reason why usually retired Olympic medalists/former Olympic medalists light the cauldrons and not active athletes who hasn't got any results so far at Olympics. Athletes like Cathy Freeman are the rarest exceptions.

Women tennis is very unpredictable, Naomi doesn't seem to be in good form in the past months, she WD from RG, didn't even compete at Wimbledon so yeah. But this is happens when they want to appeal to Western (particularly USA) sponsors.

And Russia wins Artistic Gymnastics ladies team event too, after they won in men. Hats off to them! :clap: USA is 2nd, Great Britain 3rd.

And I am a bit ??? at Naomi for accepting it, tbh. As in, imagine being an athlete, and having your achievement in the Olympics to be 'the final torchbearer', without any medals to claim. Especially cz she is already struggling under the pressure she is in as it is.

I am watching the Artistic Gymnastic coverage in BBC, and whew, what a competition. One of the commentators is one of the GB coaches, and she could no longer speak once it is confirmed GB got bronze. Apparently the last time they medal was 1928??

21 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

And I am a bit ??? at Naomi for accepting it, tbh. As in, imagine being an athlete, and having your achievement in the Olympics to be 'the final torchbearer', without any medals to claim.

Imagine how Japanese audience would react if they realised. I don't think they would be happy. Lightning cauldron is an enormous honour.