2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo

sallycinnamon

It was quite a long opening ceremony. I was surprised to see it was Naomi who lit the cauldron, it was a very Western centric choice I guess. She's globally very well known but tennis is one of the least important sports at the Olympics (because Grand Slams are worth so much more in that sport) and it will only be her first Games. Athletes who light the Olympic cauldron are usually those who already achieved big success at the Olympics and won (gold) medals. 

After Yuzu sent his message via JSF I thought maybe he won't participate at the ceremony. But not just him also others were missed, like Rikako, or many other athletes who won multiple medals, gold medals at previous Games.

5 hours ago, KendallKlaire said:

Honestly I'm kind of hoping that these Games are the turning point of the Olympics. The Olympics have gotten WAY out of hand for spending and the amount of resources they take for a host nation to have them. They need to reel it back to make it more manageable. The point of the Games was to give nations the "honor" or "prestige" of having them. Now only RICH countries can and often it results in razing people's homes. 

I do love watching the Olympics, but with these Games they've shown how little they care for the people in the host nation. I feel bad for the athletes, knowing they've trained their whole lives for this moment, but there's got to be better ways for the Olympics to go forward.

I agree with this. The problem is that it all became too political, over the decades it became a race who can make a bigger Olympics, first it was US vs Soviet Union (leading to boycots in 1980 and 1984) or the other western countries. It hasn't changed in the past 30 years either, on the contrary, the hosting countries want to outdo the previous ones. Today's ceremony was different for obvious reasons, but I don't know if anything will change drastically at future Olympics.

IOC had the plan of Agenda 2020, with the aim that they would make Olympics more sustainable, but then look at the results of the 2022 Winter Olympics bid: of course it was China who won the bid and not the smaller country Kazakhstan. It seems only rich countries/cities will continue to organize the Games with Paris, LA, Milan and then Brisbane.

My favorite part in the ceremony was the earth of drones, that was a surprise and so gorgeous. Other than that, I felt the whole event was long and kind of dull, and the direction looked to have less entertainment with serious mode. But I think it couldn't be helped since this Olympics was not usual one with lots of happy celebrations. I want to give respect for all the performers and volunteers though, they must have done their best under the difficult circumstances. 

About the final runner of torch relay, I think it would have been completely different before the pandemic. The theme of Tokyo2020 was "rebirth" at the beginning, but it was forgotten day by day while living with Covid. And because of frequent scandals of racists and gender discrimination in the organizations, they might have wanted to choose Naomi who was being active and famous for her social actions, in order to appeal to the world (she is also a great athlete needless to say). Personally I wanted to see the ceremony under the direction by Mansai's team and Yuzuru as the final runner, but seeing a lot of tweets by the public like "I wanted to see Hanyu-kun, he might have been the best suit." made me so glad and proud as his fan. 

I will move on to the actual games, today I am going to watch volleyball, softball, Judo and more :67638860: (But my priority is DOI special program lol). 

Wow. NBC's streaming is really bad - I assumed I'd have livestream coverage of the Olympics through my Peacock account, which is where figure skating is livestreamed. NOPE. I get replays on their schedule, otherwise I have to pay extra for Olympics coverage.

CBC says I'm in the wrong location even with a VPN set to Toronto. Any other ideas?

1 hour ago, river said:

Wow. NBC's streaming is really bad - I assumed I'd have livestream coverage of the Olympics through my Peacock account, which is where figure skating is livestreamed. NOPE. I get replays on their schedule, otherwise I have to pay extra for Olympics coverage.

CBC says I'm in the wrong location even with a VPN set to Toronto. Any other ideas?

If you have VPN

Spoiler

try this https://areena.yle.fi/tv/ohjelmat/57-lWe8lBb0L

VPN Finland. Not sure if they cover everything or how they choose which matches to show but hopefully you find something to watch. If you watched the opening ceremony demonstration, the sport categories should be easy to understand. To see the broadcasting schedule click "tulossa" in the middle of the page.

Kohei Uchimura's Olympics is over. He fell and couldn't go to the final.

He came back to the team and is supporting other members right now. 

We haven't heard any comment from him yet. 

Thank you so much for your challenge, Kohei. 

:cry::cry::cry:

37 minutes ago, yude said:

Sad. But he’s achieved so much in career.

52 minutes ago, yude said:

And he fell on such a 'silly' move on the high bar after (unnecessarily) going all out with the releases that he did. It was frustrating.

1 hour ago, yude said:

It's really sad to hear this. :( He's such a great athlete and role model who achieved everything in his career. It's nice that he went back to support the team though. Good luck to team Japan!

I'll watch sabre fence soon. We have a two-time consecutive individual Olympic champion, Szilagyi who reached the semifinal today. No one has ever won three consecutive golds in the history of sabre fence...Two other team members (including another fencer who was a medal contender) has lost already so the pressure is huge on Szilagyi. My fingers are crossed for him :fingerscrossed: