sallycinnamon

2020 Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan

25-04-16-tokyo-logo-thumbnail.jpg?interp

picture source

Games of the XXXII Summer Olympiad / 第32回オリンピック競技大会

Opening: 23 July

Closing: 8 August

Official Sitehttps://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/

Olympic schedule and resultshttps://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/olympic-schedule.htm

Participating Teams/NOCs (206): https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/nocs-list.htm

Sports (33 sports, 50 disciplines, 339 events):

16th Summer Paralympic Games

Opening: 24 August

Closing: 5 September

Official Site: https://www.paralympic.org/tokyo-2020

The Tokyo 2020 Olympics are upon us, it'll begin with the opening ceremony in just a few days. it'll be a very special Olympics due to the known circumstances. I hope everyone will stay safe and healthy in the next weeks, whether they are athletes, team members, organizers, volunteers or anyone living in Tokyo or in any other cities that are part of the Games. 

For athletes who compete in Olympic sports, the Olympic Games is their dream competition in their careers, so I hope those who qualified to this Games will do their best in Tokyo, I wish them a successful competition. 

The opening ceremony will be held on Friday, in the evening Japanese time. I'll be watching it on TV (perhaps with my colleagues and boss since it'll be during work hours and my boss invited us already to watch it together). It's always nice to look at how organizers present their histories, cultures etc and I'm sure the ceremony in Tokyo will be beautiful. I always like watching the participating NOCs being introduced too and to see whether I can spot some familiar faces in the different teams.

I'm looking forward to see which athletes will be the ones that will run to the arena with the flame and then who will light the cauldron (but also which athletes/former athletes will bring the Olympic flag and then who will be the athletes that will deliver the oaths). I think there is a fair chance we will see Yuzu in some important role as well. He truly embodies the Olympic spirit so well, and also because he's so popular and is amongst the most successful Olympians in Japan, he'd be the perfect choice for a big role at the end of the ceremony. Now that we had so much Yuzu content recently, particularly the interview with him and Rikako, it may be a sign that we'll see him at the ceremony too. 

Will any of you follow the Games, if yes, which particular sports, or athletes? What do you look forward to the most at this Olympics?

@sallycinnamon Thank you very much for creating this thread :thanks:

First and foremost: I wish all athletes, teams, organizers, staff members, volunteers, spectators and everyone else involved to stay healthy and safe.

In spite of all the controversy around the Games, I will support the athletes from home. They are not responsible for all the mess, they prepared five long years to be here, to get the chance to compete at the biggest sports event in the world and make their Olympic dream come through.

Of course, I will root for my current and former home country Germany and Hungary, especially their athletics, fencing, swimming and rowing/canoe teams.

I also have a soft spot for the Japanese team with Kohei Uchimura, Rikako Ikee, Daiya Seto and basically the whole "golden generation" of athletes. Wish them all best of luck :2thumbsup:

Thank you @sallycinnamon for this thread.

I am particularly looking forward to
swimming, tennis, athletics, gymnastics, canoeing and modern pentathlon.

Since I'm not working on this friday, I can watch the opening ceremony live on TV.

Good luck to all athletes. 🙏 Of course I hope, that everyone stays safe and healthy :smiley-angelic001:

@Henni147 I agree that athletes aren't responsible for what's happening around this Olympic Games, they are there to compete and do their best, for some it may be the first (and perhaps even last) Olympics for which they worked many years. So they deserve the support and now the focus should be on them. At the same time I feel sad that Japan has to go through all this, but I'll spare my comment about the political and economic side of it now.

I'll try to follow a couple of sports though lots of events will be during night/early morning here in Europe. The sports I'll follow are mainly those in which Hungary has medal chances - at least swimming, canoe sprint, water polo, fencing, modern pentathlon, shooting, taekwondo, wrestling, maybe handball but there can be other surprise medals too. That's already a lot of sports lol. It'd be nice if the team could get the 500th medal in Tokyo which looks doable because Hungary has currently 491 medals (and with that number we're #8 on the overall medal table which is fantastic considering how small the country is).  

One of my cousins will be competing in sailing (in the Laser Radial evet) so even though I don't follow the sport I'll definitely wake up and cheer for her too. She is a junior World champion and with some luck she'll even have a chance for a medal. It's already a success how far she has gone so far considering she grew up practicing on a lake and not on the sea unlike many others. I'd be very happy for her if she could have a satisfying result in Tokyo.

There are other sports that I'd like to watch too, like artistic swimming, diving, gymnastics (fingers crossed for Uchimura on horizontal bars!), judo, table tennis (will be cheering for Tomokazu Harimoto to achieve a good result) and maybe other sports that are new at the Olympics, for example sports climbing.

Good luck to the athletes!

Thank you for opening this thread, @sallycinnamon ! I wish your cousin the best, I'll be looking for her on TV if I can watch the game :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I am not sure which kind of information you guys know, but honestly speaking, the operation of this Olympics is a mess in a word. "The bubble" has already started to have holes and the athletes village is not safe anymore. There are more negatives in many sides, but now I will try to focus on the sports and the athletes themselves. And this feeling can't be shared easily on Japanese social media actually because many people in this country still don't want this event to happen (which is totally understandable). I am looking forward to reading your information and comments and so on :)

Opening Ceremony is on July 23, but football and softball start tomorrow. Ganbatte, everyone! 

On 7/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, sallycinnamon said:

One of my cousins will be competing in sailing (in the Laser Radial evet) so even though I don't follow the sport I'll definitely wake up and cheer for her too. She is a junior World champion and with some luck she'll even have a chance for a medal. It's already a success how far she has gone so far considering she grew up practicing on a lake and not on the sea unlike many others. I'd be very happy for her if she could have a satisfying result in Tokyo.

My best wishes and good luck to your cousin  :smiley-angelic001:

On 7/20/2021 at 12:06 PM, yude said:

Thank you for opening this thread, @sallycinnamon ! I wish your cousin the best, I'll be looking for her on TV if I can watch the game :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

I am not sure which kind of information you guys know, but honestly speaking, the operation of this Olympics is a mess in a word. "The bubble" has already started to have holes and the athletes village is not safe anymore. There are more negatives in many sides, but now I will try to focus on the sports and the athletes themselves. And this feeling can't be shared easily on Japanese social media actually because many people in this country still don't want this event to happen (which is totally understandable). I am looking forward to reading your information and comments and so on :)

Opening Ceremony is on July 23, but football and softball start tomorrow. Ganbatte, everyone! 

Thank you for the support for my cousin <3 I think the (final) medal final race will be on 1 August in Laser Radial event, this is her at work (her name is Maria Erdi).:68271262:

Spoiler

c1_img_2555-802x420.jpg

The thing is media is also trying to show only the negative side of things which is just sad. I have read some really bad articles in the past few days and even though there may be problems with the organisation of the events, hopefully overall things will go well considering the difficult situation for everyone. Fingers crossed.

9 hours ago, Anni said:

My best wishes and good luck to your cousin  :smiley-angelic001:

Thank you to you as well :) 

1 hour ago, ralucutzagy said:

and lol the cardboard beds are good for any activities :rofl3:

That's safer than I thought it would be :68468287: 

I was looking on the Olympics page to see when @sallycinnamon’s cousin is competing. On the athletes page, the top row is a lot of extremely popular summer athletes (think Simone, Phelps, Bolt)… and Yuzu.

He’s so popular that he shows up on the top row as a winter athlete during the summer Olympics. Just GOAT things, I guess.

8 時間前, sallycinnamonさんが言いました:

Thank you for the support for my cousin <3 I think the (final) medal final race will be on 1 August in Laser Radial event, this is her at work (her name is Maria Erdi).:68271262:

Hide contents

c1_img_2555-802x420.jpg

The thing is media is also trying to show only the negative side of things which is just sad. I have read some really bad articles in the past few days and even though there may be problems with the organisation of the events, hopefully overall things will go well considering the difficult situation for everyone. Fingers crossed.

Thank you to you as well :) 

That's safer than I thought it would be :68468287: 

She, Maria, looks so cool! Thank you for giving us the date of final race, I will definitely check my schedule:tumblr_inline_ngf9rqo6FD1qid2nw: 

The top director of Opening Ceremony was dismissed and now nobody knows what the event is going to be like. We have only about 30 hours to go. There is possibility that they do only entry parade and torch relay parts. 

1 hour ago, yude said:

The top director of Opening Ceremony was dismissed and now nobody knows what the event is going to be like. We have only about 30 hours to go. There is possibility that they do only entry parade and torch relay parts. 

Wow. This certainly takes the biscuit. These Olympics will be too special. 

3 hours ago, yude said:

Well, if everything else fails, they may improvise a rink in the stadium and beg Yuzu to skate Seimei, TenChi, Haru Yo Koi and Masquerade without jumps and 5min breaks inbetween. That would be the most Japanese opening show you could possibly get :laughing:

Joking aside: I still hope that Yuzu doesn't need to be involved in this circus, if it's avoidable in some way. But I fear that he as THE face of the Tohoku 3-11 charity events and reconstructions will probably have to make an appearance. Even the Emperor will be there in person, if I got it correctly.