Translations + Info about Yuzuru's thesis: Feasibility study on the utilization of wireless / inertial sensor type motion capture system in figure skating

yuzuangel

Let's compile any and all translations/information about Yuzu's thesis so we have a common thread to refer to...

Direct link to thesis (abstract is in english): https://waseda.repo.nii.ac.jp/index.php?action=repository_view_main_item_detail&item_id=64787&item_no=1&page_id=13&block_id=21

Partial translation by Axel with Wings :tumblr_inline_mueodxLmx51qdlkyg:

https://axelwithwings.com/2021/07/31/eng-translation-a-feasibility-study-on-utilization-in-figure-skating-by-a-wireless-inertia-sensor-motion-capture-system-yuzuru-hanyu-20210318/#more-561

A tweet thread summarizing Yuzu's research. Thread :68271262:

Translation of the Departmental Bulletin Paper, Waseda Journal of Human Sciences (67 tweets + 1 reply at the 19th tweet)  :68271262:

An article in an academic journal which summarizes the first part of his thesis. Thread :68271262:

Translation of the abstract. Thread :68271262:

Thread :68271262:

Another translation compilation:

A video talking about his thesis [TW: NHK '17 photo]:

A tweet thread translating Yuzu's interview with Professor Nishimura :67789441:

• yuzuangel changed the title to Translations + Info about Yuzuru's thesis: 'Feasibility study on the utilization of wireless / inertial sensor type motion capture system in figure skating'
  • yuzuangel changed the title to Translations + Info about Yuzuru's thesis: Feasibility study on the utilization of wireless / inertial sensor type motion capture system in figure skating'

Some news articles about Yuzuru's thesis

Thanks @sweetwater!

Reports on 24h TV in 2020

羽生結弦“動いたこと”は卒論完成 24時間テレビにリモート出演
Published by Sponichi, on August 23, 2020
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/08/23/kiji/20200823s00079000319000c.html

Article:

Spoiler

羽生結弦“動いたこと”は卒論完成 24時間テレビにリモート出演
[ 2020年8月23日 16:14 ]

フィギュアスケート男子で14年ソチ、18年平昌五輪連覇の羽生結弦(25=ANA)が23日、日本テレビ「24時間テレビ」にリモート収録で出演。14年から同番組で被災地への思いを伝えてきた羽生は、新型コロナウイルスのパンデミック以降、試合やアイスショー中止が続く中で自身が“動いたこと”を披露した。
 今月13日に収録された映像が公開され、羽生はコロナ禍の中で「できる限りのところではマスクをして、できる限りのところは全て消毒して、みたいなことをひたすら頑張ってやっているつもりです」と語った。フィギュアスケート靴はウイルスの多い床と接触してしまう。練習中も感染対策に細心の注意を払っているという。羽生はリンクに入る際に、エッジをおでこつけて祈ることがルーティーンだが、「(エッジが)床に触れちゃっているので、気をつけないといけない」とも話した。

試合やアイスショーが中止となり、練習時間も削られた。そんな中でも、早大の通信課程で人間情報科学を専攻する羽生は「勉強していました、ひたすら」と明かす。「フィギュアスケートにおいてモーションキャプチャ技術がどれだけ使えるか、どういう展望があるか」をまとめた卒業論文を完成させた。自らの体にモーションキャプチャを付け、陸上でジャンプ。トリプルアクセルをデジタル化することで、将来的な選手の技術向上やAI採点など競技発展に役立つことを願っている。

さらに羽生は、コロナ禍の最前線で闘う医療従事者への思いを語った。「病床数が増えれば増えるほど医療の最前線でウイルスと闘っている方々はすごく大変だなと常日頃感じていて。ウイルスをまず自分に感染させない。そこから広げないことをすることこそが1番の皆さんへの応援。感染拡大につながるような行動をしないという選択をしているだけで、僕たちは回復した未来にむけて動けているんだなと思っている」と思いを口にした。

羽生は未来へ向けても動いている。「早く皆さんの前で思い切って、本当に少しの不安もなく、少しの心配もなく、自由に演技して、自由に声を出して、自由に笑える、自由に泣ける、そんな日が来ることを願っています」と最後にメッセージを送った。

Translation (by DeepL):

Spoiler

Hanyu Yuzuru "moved" to complete his thesis and make a remote appearance on 24-hour TV
[ August 23rd, 2020 at 4:14 pm]

This is the first time I've been able to do something like this. Hanyu, who has been sharing his thoughts on the disaster area on the show since 2002, showed what he has been "doing" since the pandemic of the new coronavirus.
 In the video recorded on the 13th of this month, Hanyu said, "I've been doing my best to wear a mask wherever I can, and disinfect everywhere I can," in the midst of the corona disaster. Figure skating shoes come in contact with the floor, which is full of viruses. Hanyu said that he pays close attention to infection control even during practice. Hanyu's routine is to pray with the edge on his forehead when he enters the rink, but he also said, "I have to be careful, because (the edge) has touched the floor.

His games and ice shows were cancelled, and his practice time was cut down. Despite this, Hanyu, who is majoring in Human Information Science in the correspondence course at Waseda University, revealed, "I've been studying hard. He completed his graduation thesis on "how much motion capture technology can be used in figure skating, and what prospects there are. He attached motion capture to his own body, and jumped on land. By digitizing the triple axel, he hopes that it will help improve the skills of future athletes and develop competitions such as AI scoring.

Hanyu also shared his thoughts on the medical professionals fighting on the front lines of the Corona disaster. I always feel that as the number of hospital beds increases, the people fighting the virus on the front lines of medicine are in great trouble. I always feel that the more hospital beds there are, the harder it is for those on the front lines of medicine to fight the virus. The best way to support them is to prevent the virus from spreading. Just by choosing not to take any action that could lead to the spread of the infection, we are able to move towards a future of recovery," he said.

Hanyu is also moving toward the future. I hope that the day will come soon when I can act freely, speak freely, laugh freely, and cry freely, without a bit of anxiety, without a bit of worry, in front of you all.

羽生結弦が卒業論文を公開 24時間テレビに出演
Published by Nikkan Sports, on August 23, 2020
https://www.nikkansports.com/entertainment/news/202008230000333.html

Article:

Spoiler

フィギュアスケート男子で冬季五輪2連覇の羽生結弦(25=ANA)が23日、日本テレビ系「24時間テレビ」にリモート収録の形で出演した。

今年は14年以降の恒例だったアイスショー披露はないものの、今年のテーマ「動く」にちなみ、新型コロナウイルス感染拡大後に「動いた」ことを語る、と予告されていた。

放送の冒頭で今月13日にリモート取材が行われたことが説明された。大会やアイスショーが軒並み中止になり、練習時間も削られた新型コロナ禍の最中に「動いた」ことについて「勉強してました。ひたすら」と笑顔を見せた。

在籍する早大では人間情報科学を専攻。「フィギュアスケートにおいてモーションキャプチャ技術をどれだけ使えるか。あと、どういう展望があるかをまとめた論文です、基本的には」と紹介し、実際の卒業論文を公開。1つの項目として「3Dモーションキャプチャによる陸上でのジャンプの研究」を初公開した。

人間の動きをデジタル記録化して分析する装具のモーションキャプチャを自身に着け、陸上でトリプルアクセル(3回転半ジャンプ)を跳んで動作を表現。将来的に、選手の技術向上やAI採点などスケート界の発展に役立てたいと願っており「練習する時間が少なくなってしまったからこそ、勉強にすごい集中できてて。自分の論文を完成させられたことが一番、動いたことかなと思ってます」と語った。

Translation (by DeepL):

Spoiler

Yuzuru Hanyu (25=ANA), the two-time Winter Olympic champion in men's figure skating, made a remotely recorded appearance on Nippon Television's "24 Hours TV" on the 23rd.

Although he will not perform an ice show this year, which has been a tradition since 2002, it was announced that he would talk about his "movements" after the spread of the new coronavirus infection, in reference to this year's theme, "Movement."

At the beginning of the broadcast, it was explained that a remote interview had been conducted on the 13th of this month. He smiled and said, "I've been studying. I was studying hard," he said with a smile.

At Waseda University, where he is enrolled, he majored in Human Information Science. I wonder how much motion capture technology can be used in figure skating. It's basically a thesis that summarizes how much motion capture technology can be used in figure skating, and what kind of prospects it has," he introduced, showing his graduation thesis for the first time, "Research on jumps on land using 3D motion capture."

He wore a motion capture device on himself, a device that digitally records and analyzes human movements, and jumped a triple axel (three and a half rotational jumps) on land to express his movements. In the future, he hopes to contribute to the development of the skating world by improving skaters' skills and AI scoring, "I've been able to concentrate on my studies because I don't have much time to practice. I think the most important thing is that I was able to complete my thesis," he said.

Reports on his graduation from Waseda
羽生結弦、9月に早大卒業 自粛期間中に卒論完成
Published by Sponichi, on November 9, 2020
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/11/09/kiji/20201109s00079000128000c.html

Article:

Spoiler

羽生結弦、9月に早大卒業 自粛期間中に卒論完成
[ 2020年11月9日 05:30 ]

フィギュアスケート男子で14年ソチ、18年平昌五輪連覇の羽生結弦(25=ANA)が早大人間科学部通信教育課程を9月に卒業したことが8日までに分かった。
 8月の日本テレビ系「24時間テレビ」にリモート収録で出演した際には、コロナ禍の自粛期間中に卒業論文を完成させたことを報告。自身のトリプルアクセルをデジタル化し、「フィギュアスケートにおいてモーションキャプチャ技術がどれだけ使えるか、どういう展望があるか」という内容を語っていた。

Translation by DeepL:

Spoiler

Yuzuru Hanyu graduates from Waseda University in September, completes thesis during self-restraint period
[ November 9th, 2020 at 05:30 ]

On November 8, it was learned that Yuzuru Hanyu (25, ANA), the men's figure skating champion at the 2002 Sochi and 2006 Pyeongchang Olympics, graduated from Waseda University's School of Human Sciences in September.
 When he appeared in a remote recording of Nippon Television's "24-Hour TV" in August, he reported that he had completed his graduation thesis during the period of self-restraint due to the Corona disaster. He digitized his own triple axel, and talked about "how much motion capture technology can be used in figure skating, and what kind of prospects it has."

Interview with Yuzu done by Waseda
SPECIAL INTERVIEW 羽生結弦さん
Published in Waseda's PR magazine "CAMPUS NOW" No.237 in October 2020, shared on their official website on November 9, 2020
https://www.waseda.jp/top/news/71168

Article:

Spoiler

羽生結弦さん
原動力は、学びを無駄にしないという思い
フィギュアスケートで2度のオリンピックを制し、数々の快挙を成し遂げ、世界のトップを走り続ける羽生結弦選手が、2020年9月に早稲田大学人間科学部通信教育課程(eスクール)を卒業した。

写真提供:能登直/㈱集英社 スポルティーバ編集部

「目まぐるしく進化する情報という分野から、フィギュアスケートだけでなく、人間というものを見つめてみたい。そんな思いから、人間情報科学科を専攻しました」

そもそもコンピュータ・プログラムに触れるのが大好きだったという羽生選手。
フィギュアスケートの演技要素を入力すると、獲得できる最高得点が自動で計算されるプログラムを、自ら構築したという。

「フィギュアスケートの世界で歩み続けてきましたが、数値やデータで表された自分を見てみたいという思いがありました。数値は感覚の裏付けなので、競技にも役立っています。採点方法が更新されるたびに、プログラムをアップデートしながら、現在も活用しているんですよ」

羽生選手は卒業研究では「フィギュアスケートにおけるモーションキャプチャ技術(人や物の動きを取り込んで3Dデータに反映させる技術)の活用と将来展望」について追究した。
3Dモーションキャプチャを自身の体に装着してジャンプし、その動作をデジタルデータ化するという手法は、羽生選手ならではのアプローチだ。

「競技だけでなく、研究という領域でも突破口を開きたかったんです。新たな研究の可能性があることを証明するために、自分にしかできないテーマを選びました。将来的には、選手の技術向上やAIによる自動採点など、フィギュアスケート界の発展に役立てたいです」

多忙な選手生活の中で輝かしい功績を残しつつ、学業の時間を捻出することは容易なことではない。
在学中、羽生選手は、勉強するときは勉強だけに集中したいということから、オフの日にまとめて授業をオンデマンド受講し、遠征の移動中の飛行機でレポートを書き、到着した空港で提出するという日々を繰り返してきたという。

「eスクールでの学修は、自分で時間のやりくりや、気持ちの切り替えを学ぶ機会になりました。学びの場を作るのは自分次第だなって。学びきる気持ちがあれば、自分の価値観や知識に影響を与えてくれる場になります。せっかくの学びを無駄なものにだけはしたくない。その思いは強かったです」

羽生選手は大学生活を「大変でしたけど、多くのことを学べました」と振り返る。

「研究を重ねた日々は、あらゆることを多面的に見ながら、分析・検証する力を与えてくれました。この引き出しはフィギュアスケートだけでなく、この先人生を歩んでいく上でも、必ず役に立つと思います」

1994年宮城県生まれ。2020年9月早稲田大学人間科学部通信教育課程(eスクール)卒業。全日本空輸株式会社所属。2014年ソチオリンピック金メダル。2018年平昌オリンピック金メダル。同年国民栄誉賞を受賞。2020年2月四大陸フィギュアスケート選手権の優勝で男子史上初の「スーパースラム」を達成。同年7月、国際スケート連盟が新設した「ISUスケーティング・アワード」で初代最優秀選手賞に輝いた。

Translation (by DeepL):

Spoiler

Yuzuru Hanyu
The driving force behind my desire to never waste my learning
Yuzuru Hanyu, who has won two Olympic Games in figure skating and continues to lead the world with his many accomplishments, graduated from the distance learning course (e-school) of the School of Human Sciences at Waseda University in September 2020.

I wanted to look at not only figure skating but also human beings from the field of information, which is evolving at a dizzying pace. That's why I chose to major in Human Information Science.

Hanyu says that he has always loved to touch computer programs.
Hanyu says that he always loved using computer programs, and he built his own program that automatically calculates the highest score that a figure skater can get by entering the elements of his performance.

I've been in the figure skating world for a long time, but I wanted to see myself represented by numbers and data. I've been in figure skating for a long time, but I wanted to see myself represented by numbers and data. Whenever the scoring method is updated, I update my program, and I'm still using it today.

For his graduation research, Hanyu pursued "the application and future prospects of motion capture technology (technology that captures the movements of people and objects and reflects them in 3D data) in figure skating.
This is a unique approach for Hanyu, who jumps with 3D motion capture attached to his body, and converts his movements into digital data.

I wanted to make a breakthrough not only in competition, but also in the field of research. I chose a theme that only I can do, to prove that there are new research possibilities. In the future, I would like to contribute to the development of Figure Skating, such as improving athletes' skills and automatic scoring by AI.

It is not easy to make time for studies while making brilliant achievements in the busy life of an athlete.
During his studies, Hanyu wanted to concentrate on his studies when he could, so he took classes on demand on his off days, wrote reports on airplanes during his travels, and submitted them at the airport when he arrived.

He says, "The e-school gave me the opportunity to learn how to manage my time and change my mind. I realized that it is up to me to create my own learning environment. If you have the desire to learn, it will become a place that influences your values and knowledge. I didn't want to let my learning go to waste. I had a strong desire to do so.

Hanyu looks back on his university life, "It was tough, but I learned a lot.

The days of researching gave me the ability to analyze and verify everything, looking at it from many angles. I believe this will be useful not only for figure skating, but also for the rest of my life.

Born in Miyagi, 1994, graduated from Waseda University, Faculty of Human Sciences, Correspondence Course (e-School) in September, 2020. He is a member of All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd. and won the gold medal at the 2014 Sochi Olympics and the gold medal at the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics. In February 2020, he won the Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, becoming the first man in history to achieve the "Super Slam". In July of the same year, he won the inaugural ISU Skating Award for the best skater.

Translation by shinjistarxx:

Spoiler

An article focused on the thesis based on an interview with Prof. Shoji Nishimura, who supervised Yuzu's graduation thesis
「ジャンプの成功と失敗にどんな違いがあるのか?」羽生結弦が早稲田大学で書いた“3万字卒論”の中身
Published in Sports Graphic Number Vol.1019 released on January 21, 2021, shared on Number Web on April 15, 2021
https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/846727

Article:

Spoiler

「ジャンプの成功と失敗にどんな違いがあるのか?」羽生結弦が早稲田大学で書いた“3万字卒論”の中身

小学生時代からジャンプの成功、失敗時の要因をノートに記して、分析してきた羽生。近年はタブレットなどを用いて、動作の把握に努めている

フィギュアスケートの世界国別対抗戦が開幕した。初日の男子ショートプログラムに登場するのは、宇野昌磨と羽生結弦。羽生は、日本が優勝した17年大会以来2大会ぶりの出場となる。そこで、「Sports Graphic Number」で掲載した羽生に関する記事を特別に公開する。
 昨秋、早稲田大学人間科学部を卒業した羽生結弦。その卒業論文の指導をしたのが、人間科学部教授の西村昭治氏だ。教授の目に学生・羽生はどう映っていたのだろうか。

「最初の出会いは入学前、スカイプでの面接でした。2012年の秋、大会直後のタイミングだったようです。ただ、彼は疲れも見せずしっかり受け答えをしていて、学ぶことへの真摯な態度を感じました。

フィギュアスケートを極めるのであれば、スポーツ科学部の方がいいのではないかと思っていたのですが、フィギュアスケートを構成する身体の動きはどうなっているのかを知りたいと語るなど目的意識がはっきりしていた。なるほど、だから人間科学部なのだと伝わってきました」

Translation (by @Tsukiyomi)

Spoiler

Translation (by DeepL):

Spoiler

"What is the difference between a successful jump and a failed jump? The contents of Yuzuru Hanyu's "30,000-word thesis" at Waseda University

Ever since he was in elementary school, Hanyu has been writing down and analyzing the factors behind his successes and failures in jumps. In recent years, he has been using a tablet to keep track of his movements.

The World Figure Skating Championships have started. On the first day, the men's short program will feature Masama Uno and Yuzuru Hanyu. Hanyu will be making his first appearance in two competitions since 2005, when Japan won the championship. For this reason, we are releasing a special article on Hanyu that appeared in "Sports Graphic Number."
 Last fall, Yuzuru Hanyu graduated from the School of Human Sciences at Waseda University. His graduation thesis was guided by Professor Shoji Nishimura of the School of Human Sciences. How did the professor see Hanyu as a student in his eyes?

The first time I met Hanyu was in a Skype interview before he entered the school, in the fall of 2012, just after the competition. But he showed no signs of fatigue, and I felt his sincere attitude to learning.

I had thought that if he wanted to master Figure Skating, he would be better off in the School of Sports Science, but he had a clear sense of purpose, saying that he wanted to know how the body moves to make up Figure Skating. I see, that's why I chose the School of Human Sciences.

• yuzuangel changed the title to Translations + Info about Yuzuru's thesis: Feasibility study on the utilization of wireless / inertial sensor type motion capture system in figure skating
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just registered Planet Hanyu, today!

I found my older tweet posted here, so would like to let you know, if interested,

that I ended up translating the rest of his "Bulletin Paper" uploaded at Waseda, which is a total of 67 tweets + additional info at the 19th tweet.

(Also, please ignore "Part1 25twt" part, as I just kept adding under this first tweet, and couldn't make a correction. Please keep pressing

"show replies" so it would go until the 67th tweet.)

Also, I had translated "What is the difference between success & failure of the jump?" Contents of "30,000 words thesis" written by #YuzuruHanyu Interviewed prof Shoji NishimuraWaseda University. Sports Graphic Number, article written by Takaomi Matsubara (reposted on 4/15/21)

I hope it helps, and I hope this grave issue is addressed and corrected really soon.

2 hours ago, Tsukiyomi said:

Hi, I just registered Planet Hanyu, today!

I found my older tweet posted here, so would like to let you know, if interested,

that I ended up translating the rest of his "Bulletin Paper" uploaded at Waseda, which is a total of 67 tweets + additional info at the 19th tweet.

(Also, please ignore "Part1 25twt" part, as I just kept adding under this first tweet, and couldn't make a correction. Please keep pressing

"show replies" so it would go until the 67th tweet.)

1 hour ago, Tsukiyomi said:

Also, I had translated "What is the difference between success & failure of the jump?" Contents of "30,000 words thesis" written by #YuzuruHanyu Interviewed prof Shoji NishimuraWaseda University. Sports Graphic Number, article written by Takaomi Matsubara (reposted on 4/15/21)

I hope it helps, and I hope this grave issue is addressed and corrected really soon.

Wow, thank you so much! I will update the original post.

1 hour ago, Tsukiyomi said:

I absolutely agree.

2 hours ago, Tsukiyomi said:

Thank you for doing the translation!  I hope this will get wider readership among the general Figure Skating community. 

Despite the large amount of Japanese to English translations being generated by the fan community, I have noticed a relatively high "wall" that divides this community from the English-speaking FS /sports journalists who seem to know so little about Yuzu's background or his way of thinking.  They can no longer use the "language barrier" as an excuse for the ignorance when so much material is made available online. They seem unable (or unwilling) to do the minimum research expected of any professional journalist.  

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...