Stars on Ice 2021 in Yokohama

@yuzuangel I was rewatching the SOI highlights form day 4 vids here

and I've noticed that the audio is slightly off-sync in the vid -- especially noticeable for me towards the end and during speeches, but I was also wondering why Zu looked slighlty offbeat compared to what I remembered of the opening:68468287: -- Do you think it's possible to fix it?

I can try doing that myself tomorrow, but maybe if i could have some heads-up on the output settings, since I have no real understanding on how to optimize encoding :embSwan:

I have been trying to comment on this topic since Monday but keep failing to finish my post because of numerous trivial problems that occurred at home, so I am going to make just a few points.

On testing, I agree with @yuzuangel. I found an article about SOI Hachinohe published by NHK last week, which says that the Kinoshita group is going to hold SOI Hachinohe having all the cast and staff members tested beforehand. Kinoshita wasn't involved in SOI Yokohama, but the SOI-Y organizers probably had to do the same, as they are on the same boat with Kinoshita--if a cluster infection occurred among the cast during SOI Yokohama, SOI Hachinohe would also suffer a loss.

This is the article:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/lnews/aomori/20210421/6080012206.html

Following is the relevant part:

アイスショーは、例年国外のトップ選手も出演していましたが、ことしは羽生結弦選手や紀平梨花選手など、国内の選手のみが出演し、選手やスタッフは全員新型コロナの検査を受ける予定だということです。

A rough translation:

"In the past years, the show featured top skaters from overseas, but they (T/n: Kinoshita group, the organizer) say that this year, only Japanese skaters such as Yuzuru Hanyu and Rika Kihira will participate in the event, and the skaters and the staff members will all get tested for the new coronavirus. "

The skaters participating in Mao's show also got tested before each leg. IMG is organizing Mao's tour as well, so they should have some experience, at least in that respect.

As to the leg kick in the finale, I think it is natural that some find it dangerous under this circumstance, but I didn't find it particularly upsetting because this event had been looking risky even without it. I guess it became a hot topic because it looked like Yuzu was involved in it, but is there a source that says the leg kick was Yuzu's idea? Sorry in advance if I miss something because I haven't checked all the news and videos yet. I have watched the backstage fluff aired by TBS in their terrestrial channel version of SOI and S1. (a sports news program) In these programs, TBS said that Yuzu was involved in the direction of the opening number and led others in rehearsals, but they didn't say Yuzu was involved in directing the finale. In the footage of the finale rehearsal, you can find Yuzu asking Yuka Sato for instruction regarding how he should handle the mic in a choreography before and after the closing speech. You can also hear Yuka giving instruction via a microphone while Yuzu explains how high the skaters should aim while doing the leg kick.

When I saw the footage of the leg kick in the finale, the first thing that occurred to me was, "Whoever choreographed it is trying to make the show as SOI-sh as possible despite having only Japanese skaters." I've seen several SOI shows in the past ten years, and I remember seeing the cast doing it at least for some seasons. So I guess it is a kind of semi-tradition for Stars on Ice? You can find it in some videos of past SOI in NA as well. (Sample 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

In Stars on Ice Japan, Japanese skaters usually perform as guests and rarely participate in the opening and the finale. (They take part in the grand finale, though) So skating in the opening/finale in SOI was a new experience for the JSOI cast this year, including Yuzu. However, he has seen how skaters like Kurt and Jeff skated in SOI in the pre-Sochi era, so I thought Yuzu was most likely utilizing his own experience to help Yuka instructing the other skaters.

Personally, the leg kick made me realize most strongly again that it was a show held in an unusual situation and made me feel the distance between now and then.

I just hope the tour ends without making anyone sick and someday we will be able to look back at it thinking that at least the skaters did their best in a difficult situation. 

just gonna quietly put this here in hopes that someone will answer.....

who was the artist that sang the ending song? i know it's called smile but, as expected, i cant read japanese nor can i actually figure out how to search the song up in a way that'll show me who sang it :( i just wanna be able to listen to it, think of yuzu and his cute swaying arms, and be a less sad boi

9 minutes ago, SweetBunnii said:

just gonna quietly put this here in hopes that someone will answer.....

who was the artist that sang the ending song? i know it's called smile but, as expected, i cant read japanese nor can i actually figure out how to search the song up in a way that'll show me who sang it :( i just wanna be able to listen to it, think of yuzu and his cute swaying arms, and be a less sad boi

Kuwata Keisuke. 

I can't find the song on spotify so this official MV is kinda playing on my background most of the time. I'm so glad SOI introduced this song to me. 

3 hours ago, yumeaki said:

Kuwata Keisuke. 

I can't find the song on spotify so this official MV is kinda playing on my background most of the time. I'm so glad SOI introduced this song to me. 

aaa;;; thank you so much!!

On 4/26/2021 at 1:10 PM, Tae Grane said:

does anyone know the translation of this video? :tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Here with English subtitle

[NEWS]

• 2 weeks later...