Accessing Japanese TV online

I am starting this thread to help overseas (i.e., outside of Japan) viewers access Japanese TV channels.  

isakura and forjoytv are two main websites that offer fairly comprehensive access to Japanese TV channels.  I personally prefer the format of forjoytv which has an easy download option, but it does not include Fujitv channels - which is where ISU World Championship events are shown.  

Here are the respective weblinks:

http://www.isakuraiptv.com/

https://forjoytv.com/subscriptions

On this thread, we can share our experiences in accessing these and other sites and avoid turning our event threads into tech support discussion blogs!  

forjoytv is definitely too expensive for me, considering I would only need it for a few hours of streaming:/

Apparently subscription through japannettv has the 3days options only as a trial for new accounts?  (so one has to cross fingers that they can make a new account?)

I can't find the option otherwise (which sucks, since I already had already a couple accounts there).

I also have an additional question. The player used to require flash player, but now flash player is not supported anymore so it was unistalled from my pc.

So... any idea if isakura still requires flash player?:tumblr_inline_n2pjcykAXc1qdlkyg:  I can't find any info on their website...

@Mini-val-nilla welcome!

I have no idea if the channel where they'll broadcast is there LOLsob. I see there is a TBS channel, but no idea if it's the right one...

I'll try to dig my posts from the JNats thread, I kinda remember I struggled with something but can't remember what

(though, back in December I still had flash player:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:)

58 minutes ago, Mini-val-nilla said:

This site (https://aqstream.com/jp/fuji/Fuji-TV) has various different Japanese tv channels if it helps! I am a fairly new fanyu so I'm not sure which channels show competitions, but I still wanted to share just in case :)

This is a very confusing site - seems it gives access to various Japanese channels but not sure how and quality seems poor. 

24 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

forjoytv is definitely too expensive for me, considering I would only need it for a few hours of streaming:/

Apparently subscription through japannettv has the 3days options only as a trial for new accounts?  (so one has to cross fingers that they can make a new account?)

I can't find the option otherwise (which sucks, since I already had already a couple accounts there).

I also have an additional question. The player used to require flash player, but now flash player is not supported anymore so it was unistalled from my pc.

So... any idea if isakura still requires flash player?:tumblr_inline_n2pjcykAXc1qdlkyg:  I can't find any info on their website...

@Mini-val-nilla welcome!

I have no idea if the channel where they'll broadcast is there LOLsob. I see there is a TBS channel, but no idea if it's the right one...

I'll try to dig my posts from the JNats thread, I kinda remember I struggled with something but can't remember what

(though, back in December I still had flash player:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:)

Isakura has updated its system and no longer using flash (at least that is what I read somewhere).   Both isakura and forjoytv carry the CS TBS channels for live broadcasting of SOI.  

I checked on isakura subscription price and found that it's not much different from ForJoyTV.  They used to have a short (one week) trial option but that is not showing up any more.   FYI:  isakura is $30 per month and forjoytv is US$27.99 (on 20% discount sale) per month.  

quoting myself

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

because this is the search result I've got and... it doesn't look promising:slinkaway::laughing:

3nYWEpp.jpeg

you can feel my despair there:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

ETA: I've just realized I had been bitching about isakura at JNats2019, but apparently not for JNats2020?:huh:

I've certainly watched gala2020 there, switching between channels that showed different things....

45 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

I checked on isakura subscription price and found that it's not much different from ForJoyTV.  They used to have a short (one week) trial option but that is not showing up any more.   FYI:  isakura is $30 per month and forjoytv is US$27.99 (on 20% discount sale) per month.  

here it still shows the 3-days trial option (with new account):

https://japannettv.com/wpshop/index.php/japan-tv-standard/

and apparently one person tweeted that they could make an account with that...

idk if I should tempt fate with this one. At some point isakura certainly did work for me, because I caught up with the stuff I had not watched live, but also gave me some headaches, so...I'm conflicted, whether to risk throwing away 3euros (even if it's not much on its own, I'm not keen on just throwing them and get nothing in turn)

ETA2: for those wanting to read from some of us who had subscribed to isakura for JNats20 (both through isakura and the japannet website. I used the second, this past Jnats), you can look here

and also this post and keep reading in the following pages.

Though the links for subscribing right now don't show the 3days trial option, only the link I've posted above

and this was my post a few pages later

Again, in the following pages there might be other issues addressed (and solved), though at least part of them were linked with adobe flash player, so they shouldn't be relevant now.

From what I can remember, subscribing through japannet was relatively "easy"

(reading through those posts...discussions about program reaveal!..so nostalgic..and freaking out over 4S misbehaving LMAO that is not nostalgic, at all):68468287:

Ah, a thread dedicated to this struggle of international fans :laughing:

I'm trying ForJoyTV this time... They have CS TBS 2 which will broadcast SOI. There are live broadcasts on April 23, April 24, and April 30, and a special broadcast with behind the scenes etc on May 30. So, that requires two months subscription, unfortunately.

Also, JapanTV (from japannettv) might work? I kinda wish I had tried this one... :sigh: 

1 hour ago, Umebachi said:

Isakura has updated its system and no longer using flash (at least that is what I read somewhere).   Both isakura and forjoytv carry the CS TBS channels for live broadcasting of SOI.  

iSakura updated mid Jnats, it's not flash anymore. Worked fine for me. The only downside is that Flash allowed us to download the videos and the updated version doesn't. It still allowed to watch stuff from before if you missed it live though 

I use Video DownloadHelper add-on on Firefox to download videos from iSakura. There have been some technical glitches and video quality is perhaps poorer than before with iSakura own downloader, but at least it is mostly working.

For those who are considering the longer subscription, there´s going to be many Yuzu-related programs in next few weeks, mostly replays excluding SOI. This tweet has gathered them all (as we know now). Blue is for SOI, yellow is for WTT, pink is for WC and additionally they are showing photographer Tanaka´s program, Continues with Wings, Music with Wings and FaOI 2019 Makuhari.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Hello everyone. :wave::helpsign:
I am new here and I am not sure of everything. English ist not my native language so bare(?) with me. :redface:
On which channel can I watch SOI?:HELPSOS:

I bought the 3-days trial subscriptions on JapanTV.

It's my first time watching SOI live. I'm a new baby :party0037: with everything in FS.:SunFace:

31 minutes ago, Charisma said:

Hello everyone. :wave::helpsign:
I am new here and I am not sure of everything. English ist not my native language so bare(?) with me. :redface:
On which channel can I watch SOI?:HELPSOS:

I bought the 3-days trial subscriptions on JapanTV.

It's my first time watching SOI live. I'm a new baby :party0037: with everything in FS.:SunFace:

Congrats and welcome!

On JapanTV, it should be on channel 66!

Also, hi, we're neighbours!! 🇸🇮 🇭🇺 :wave:

I subscribed iSakura for 30 days with one of my old IDs. They responded very quickly and gave me new ID and password and added 7 days free to my subscription. I guess it´s an apology on their part for the current difficulties. If you have old IDs too, this is one option to consider although 30 days subscription is a lot of money.

Tomorrow´s show is on channel 59 on iSakura.