@Glory Indonesian independence day falls on 17th August (it's a national holiday ofc), so if one follows the northern hemisphere four season convention it definitely falls in the middle of the summer (but then again it's summer all year long in Indonesia so every holiday is a summer holiday I guess :xD:).

We usually celebrate it by having a flag ceremony (at your neighborhood/office/school etc. -- there is also one held by the presidential palace, and this is the one that is usually broadcasted nationally by TV stations, if you happen not to participate in a ceremony yourself), afterwards we'll celebrate by having games like tug of war, burlap sack run, ultra long wood clog run (the wood clog can be worn by three people, front to back, and you'd have to synchronize to walk ;) ), eating/food-related contest (such as kerupuk eating contest, but you only use your mouth and your hands are tied on your back, pulling coins (lubricated so that it's hard to get a grip on :grin:) out of a papaya (also with your mouth and your hands tied on the back :lol:), putting pencil/nail in a bottle. Most of these games are for kids but adults can also participate as well (competing against other adults ofc :lol:). There are also pillow fight (if you happen to be able to organize the games near a body of water (eg. a pond/river) on a greasy pole (made out of areca palm tree) or panjat pinang -- you with your team will attempt to climb a greasy pole (also made out of areca palm tree) and get the prizes hung on top of the pole (and the prizes can get quite interesting too -- home appliances, TV, to name a few). Supposedly these games are played to symbolize the struggles people had around the time leading to the proclamation of Indonesian independence (though ofc in a cheery festive way :lol::lol::lol:).

12 hours ago, Pink Elephants said:

Well, we have Int. worker's day on May 1st (like many countries) which here is a major holiday off from work/school and it's sort of traditional to go to a picnic/in the countryside or on a similar outing to nature, and there's also a major religious holiday, St. George's day (Đurđevdan) which separated symbolically winter and summer. It has many various traditions and superstitions around it, one I know is you're supposed to go herb gathering ahead of time and weave a wreath to hang on the house/in the kitchen. Like these:)

Aww those are pretty and I bet they make the house smell of herbs.

12 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

We have St. Stephen's Day on 20 August when we celebrate the foundation of Hungary (it was founded in 1000). We usually have big fireworks across the whole country, they look pretty!!

budapest-tuzijatek-410896.jpg

We consider it the end of summer, after 20 August it usually becomes rainy, colder etc.

I consider Mother's day in early May a spring holiday.

Mother's day here is also early May but to me it always seems like summer since it is so hot.  

St. Stephen's Day reminds me of our Independence Day. We do a lot of fireworks, people either do their own at their house or go to a firework show. 

11 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

In France, Mothers' day is usually late May or early June. Mostly a commercial day for florists and home appliance sellers (I am fortunate enough never to have had any home appliance as a present, but these are the ads). And school children are (were?) made to make macaroni collars (the infamous tradition, in fact usually other artifacts). And Fathers' day two weeks later, without flowers (I don't see why).

I can't imagine getting an appliance for Mother's Day!  

8 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Sometimes food is really the most accessible tether you have to connect to your own culture, and I only recently realized it.

Yes I think I would be sad if I couldn't eat our Thanksgiving meal. Turkey, ham, rolls, etc.

On 3/31/2021 at 1:10 PM, Glory said:

Anybody have any summer traditions or holidays? We only have Mother's Day in May, Father's Day in June and our Independence Day on July 4th. 

In Greece, August 15th (the Assumption of the Virgin Mary) is considered to be on the most important holidays associated with religion, maybe overall! On that day most people visit their villages and eat delicious food with their older relatives but since I'm a city girl with old and tired parents we stay home and only experince the eating part.

I heard it's Catholic Easter today so happy Easter to anyone who celebrates it!

This year Orthodox Easter will be on May 2nd (so late!!) so I gotta play the waiting game to paint eggs and crack them, go lamb shopping, almost get my hair set on fire from aunties at the church and eat chocolate eggs. :3

1 hour ago, hananistellata said:

almost get my hair set on fire from aunties at the church 

Do you have a candlelight service? We do that on Christmas Eve. I'm always scared of so many people holding candles! Especially children holding them!

10 hours ago, Glory said:

Do you have a candlelight service? We do that on Christmas Eve. I'm always scared of so many people holding candles! Especially children holding them!

Something like that. Godmothers and gofathers buy their godchildren gifts and chocolates along with pretty decorated candles so we can recive the holy light at the church a few minutes before Easter. Churches are usually hella crowded so accidents may happen, that's why my family receives the holy light at the church's yard.

I just remembered one time where my grandma told me that whoever sings Christmas carols in a time period that is not Christmas they get pimples on their butt and everytime I hum a Christmas song to myself I remember that and stop immediately.

Greek superstitions, istg. :smiley-laughing021:

Spoiler

I may or may not have remembered this after the whole butt thing going on on the general Yuzuru chat, oops.

3 hours ago, hananistellata said:

whoever sings Christmas carols in a time period that is not Christmas they get pimples on their butt and everytime I hum a Christmas song to myself I remember that and stop immediately.

Well in Indonesia it's "You'll get pimples (heck, blisters even!) on your butt if you sit on a pillow" :xD::embSwan:

5 hours ago, hananistellata said:

I just remembered one time where my grandma told me that whoever sings Christmas carols in a time period that is not Christmas they get pimples on their butt and everytime I hum a Christmas song to myself I remember that and stop immediately.

Greek superstitions, istg. :smiley-laughing021:

Hide contents

I may or may not have remembered this after the whole butt thing going on on the general Yuzuru chat, oops.

Haha here in the US, stores start playing Christmas music around our Thanksgiving usually the 20 something of November. Some people don't like it, but I love it! Also you see Christmas stuff for sale after Halloween in a lot of stores. 

On 3/31/2021 at 6:10 AM, Glory said:

Anybody have any summer traditions or holidays? We only have Mother's Day in May, Father's Day in June and our Independence Day on July 4th. 

We have Victoria Day, aka May 2-4, which marks the official start of 'cottage season' or 'patio season'. 

It was originally a holiday.meant to celebrate Queen Victoria's birthday , as Canada was a British colony and is now part of the Commonwealth. Fireworks and picnics are highly popular. It's  always the fourth Monday in May. 

Nowadays, it's  become a lot less royal and more colloquial. Since it's  the first long weekend with truly summer-like weather in big chunks of the country, people observe it by having patio parties, loading up the car and leaving town for a little trip,  or heading to their lake homes, cottages, cabins, or trailers to.open them for the summer season. 

At least, all that happened before COVID.  These days, the biggest part of May 2-4 that gets observed is the 2-4 itself. That is to say, folks go to the beer store and buy a 2-4 ( aka a case of 24 bottle or cans of beer) or several to be consumed, with much good humour and enjoyment,  over the course of the weekend. Generally speaking,  the whole point is to revel in being freed from winter.