Ten to Chi to (Heaven and Earth)

• 2 weeks later...

Elanvital has been compiling information on the original Taiga series - of which only one episode - the last one, #50 - remains in the NHK archives.  On YouTube someone uploaded just the sound track of episode 2, which ends with the start of the battle of Kawanakajima where Lord Kenshin exhorts his troops to go after Lord Shingen.  It evokes the dramatic battle scene which directly leads into the opening segment of Hanyu's Tenchi Free Program.    

Elanvital's blog: 

https://pulchrebenerecte.com/?p=134

Start around 47:10 for Kenshin's battle cry.  

Elan Vital did an amazing blog series analyzing stuff related to H&E

1. Music choice and editing

2. UESUGI Kenshin's story

3. Program title

4. Kenshin's speech before the battle in the NHK Taiga Drama

What resonated with me was the closing narration of ep 50 of the Taiga Drama, which truly reflected on his costume

"Between the endless heavens and endless earth, there was Masatora* (UESUGI Kenshin's another name). The sky was blue with freely flowing clouds."

EqOAHEaU0AE3590?format=jpg&name=large

cr

I don't know if Ito-san did it based on this narration, she probably did <3

• 3 months later...
On 4/4/2021 at 9:40 PM, hananistellata said:

This program is so special and you can tell how important it is to Yuzuru, you can say that it feels personal to him. I truly hope that Ten To Chi To ends up becoming one of the most iconic performances in figure skating.

You are all right. It's a wonderful programme, wonderful music, wonderful costume... :tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw:

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, hananistellata said:

Do you know how Seimei is considered one of Yuzuru's most iconic shows, if not the most iconic of all his shows? I understand why, since it's his most popular program on Youtube and he won the Olympics with it all (and of course the powerful aura he gives off every time he skates on it! ) but I really hope that in the end Ten To Chi To ends up being his most iconic program of all time. Yuzuru really puts his whole soul and his being into this program, if I remember correctly he even said in an interview how personal this program felt to him. This is why it would be so beautiful if he won the Beijing Olympics with this program, especially if heThe program that perfectly portrays Yuzuru, his skating and his soul becoming one of the most iconic programs in figure skating. Yes, 

Ah YES Seimei sticks very well to Yuzu's skin  :shout: and it is even moving and I have goosebumps, when I look at this program and, in addition, knowing that it is Yuzu who arranged the music and went to an artist Mansai Nomura for advice

https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/129705774597/talk-between-yuzu-and-mansai-nomura-on-news-every   , here everything is explained and Yuzu is really attentive to his words so that Seimei is perfect and we can see the result and TTCT will surely become another very emblematic program too and it is clear that we have felt that Yuzu is putting all his soul into it and winning the Olympics with this theme would be the holy grail 

• 4 months later...
On 8/9/2021 at 6:11 PM, hananistellata said:

You know how Seimei is considered one of Yuzuru's most iconic, if not the most iconic of all of his programs? I understand why, with it being his most popular program on Youtube and having won the Olympics with it and all (and of course the powerful aura that he radiates whenever he skates to it!) but I really hope that in the end Ten To Chi To ends up becoming his most iconic program of all time. Yuzuru really pours his whole soul and being into that program, if I remember correctly he even said in an interview how personal this program feels to him. That's why it would be so beautiful if he won the Beijing Olympics with this program, especially if there is a quad Axel included as well. The program that perfectly portrays Yuzuru, his skating and his soul becoming one of the most iconic programs in figure skating. Yes, that would be magical. 

I definitely could see how these two battle each other out. What Heaven and Earth is missing right now is a win at a large competition for it to be  recognized as much as it should be. And I think the 4a has def completed the program much more than the 4loop did. If he skates it well at Beijing, itd def going to be considered one of his most iconic free skates, which means itd be one of the most iconic free skates of all time like seimei is.

I think Seimei is just that program that, even if you arent aware of the story of the program or into japanese culture or the music, it hooks you in. A few more reasons why it is such a fan fave, other than the fact that its masterfully choreographed and skated, are 1) it was during Yuzu's golden era. It was the program he broke insane records with. Not that he has past his prime but injuries and underscoring shenanigans have really took a toll on fans and him over the past few seasons. He wasnt able to skate 2 clean programs at bigger competitions due to the aforementioned reasons as well as the fact that his programs have only gotten more difficult. He kept reinventing himself in ways only his fans appreciate but these were often overlooked by the increasing demanding audience, resulting to underscoring and ultimately leading to a less impressive feat. While he did skate clean with H&E, the competitions he didnt skate well with this program were the international ones where it unfortunately mattered more. Now that he replaced the 4loop with 4a, it def brought out more buzz than it did before. All he has to do now is land it cleanly and WIN with it at Beijing. 2) Seimei sticks with him longer so its easy to get why most fans still have more affection for Seimei. Its also I guess the first fs that displays Japanese strength, which makes it very Yuzu. And many non fans would just ignorantly see H&E as Seimei 2.0 3) finally, its also just as personal to Yuzu. I think he mentioned before its his favorite program, didnt he? I think Yuzu believes in this program so much that he brought it back many times along with Ballade no. 1. It gives him comfort. 

personally I still prefer Seimei even if it has a less difficult layout. in fact, it has overtaken H&L for me over the years.  Its a program that even if he isnt clean is still enjoyable and iconic. i think seimei was skated to its full potential even when he never skated clean with the upgraded layouts. whereas to me H&E requires him to skate clean or at least as well as he did at nats 2021 where he was still on his feet. otherwise, it loses its rhythm and flow really quickly. Its a bit like H&L in that regards but requires even higher focus and perfection. The most perfect performance of it in terms of jumps and all is still nationals 20 but component wise was at wtt. Im still waiting for a perf that makes me say, "this is it. this is the performance he will be fully satisfied with"

• 2 weeks later...