[2020] GP Skate America - Men SP and FS

Protocols:

https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/29710/SEGM002.html

Positive GOE for the popped sal, I see. The popped Axel got negative GOE by a fraction - only one -1 to edge it out, without that it would've been even on +1 and -1.

And pops are once again not serious errors - there were two and there was definitely not cap of 9.25 for SS, TR and CO, and 8.75 for PE and IN. No surprises that pops are only serious errors when Yuzu does it. Funny really, when they started this serious errors thing I was of the opinion that it would only punish a handful of skaters who do routinely score in the 9s, but now it's obvious it only punishes select skaters even among those.

18 hours ago, memae said:

And is that something that actually resembles a costume? GOE +5 for finally at least trying (maybe that's why his score was so high? Relief over no more bus shirts). 

I think Japan will be too polite/will want to avoid accusations of inflating scores for their own skaters at home. Scoring this season is going to be interesting but so will next year's because of it.

I believe Japan will at least go hard for Yuma, like they have done for Shoma.

As for Nathan, I think his SP costume is inspired by Antonio Banderas' attire in Desperado so yes, that was an attempt at a proper costume :grin: It's his indigo shirt in the FP that I have some issues with because my dad used to wear the same sort of shirt :rofl3:

10 minutes ago, Fulcher said:

Philip Glass is known for his criticism of China. He's also a supporter of the Free Tibet movement.

https://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/46005/

Ah okay, I didn't know that. Thanks! 

Nathan is not the only skaters who choose Philip Glass' music this season tho. At least Satton (Metamorphosis) and Anna S. (Morning passages) do, too.

PS: Imagine China pulls the censorship tactics they usually use and edit out all the music while leaving the skaters basically move on the ice like in a silent movie

2 hours ago, Lunna said:

https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/29710/CAT001SEG002.html

Should we say thanks for "only" 92.80 PCS? Will be more with cleaner performance and more quads though :popcorn:

This makes me almost sick.  What does he have to do to lose points?  Fall on a couple of jumps?  It is so blatantly ridiculous that the scores are so high. Nathan should be embarrassed.

So I had my 11 year old niece's socially distanced birthday to go to, and missed the Men's live. 

Came back and watched the top 3 and here are my thoughts:

No clean skates amongst them, which surprised me, because they were mainly clean in the short.

The cardboard cutout Geico Gecko deserves his own highlight video. 

The commentator's skating knowledge is kind of hit or miss. 

Individual performances:

Keegan: He was fine until that triple axel combo that landed wonky and then it seems like the wheels came off. I can't remember the last time he delivered such a slow and awkward looking StepSeq, and he visibly lost energy throughout the second half. I was actually wondering if something was wrong, like maybe a broken skate or a hurt ankle. 

He pulled back even more on the 3A's today than yesterday and I can't help but wonder if that affected the jump stability. 

All in all, Keegan seemed very subdued.

Vincent Zhou: haven't seen him skate since Saitama. I'm impressed with his progress. The program showed real artistic flare and an ambitious array of jumps. Vincent also showing a bit of that Yuzu grit to come back after the fall on his opening quad and squeeze in another in combo. And he was wearing an actual costume. 

Nathan Chen: finally an artistic program from him. This was an actual performance as opposed to a recital. Not clean, but he won anyway, of course. 

The scores: do I really need to comment? We all know what happened here. 

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

Protocols:

https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/29710/SEGM002.html

Positive GOE for the popped sal, I see. The popped Axel got negative GOE by a fraction - only one -1 to edge it out, without that it would've been even on +1 and -1.

And pops are once again not serious errors - there were two and there was definitely not cap of 9.25 for SS, TR and CO, and 8.75 for PE and IN. No surprises that pops are only serious errors when Yuzu does it. Funny really, when they started this serious errors thing I was of the opinion that it would only punish a handful of skaters who do routinely score in the 9s, but now it's obvious it only punishes select skaters even among those.

Well, Yuzu got positive GOE for his popped axel at GPF too. I've been finding it interesting to compare GOE on similar elements across the two of them at different competitions. 2 of Yuzu's Chopin 4CC spins (flying camel and sit spin) were scored just above Nathan's SP spins from Vegas. Nathan's final spin for this short scored higher than Yuzu's final spin in Chopin at 4CC. I also think Keegan's spins are consistently underscored.

1 hour ago, memae said:

Well, Yuzu got positive GOE for his popped axel at GPF too. I've been finding it interesting to compare GOE on similar elements across the two of them at different competitions. 2 of Yuzu's Chopin 4CC spins (flying camel and sit spin) were scored just above Nathan's SP spins from Vegas. Nathan's final spin for this short scored higher than Yuzu's final spin in Chopin at 4CC. I also think Keegan's spins are consistently underscored.

The scores for the spins are blasphemies LOL. 

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Vincent Zhou: haven't seen him skate since Saitama. I'm impressed with his progress. The program showed real artistic flare and an ambitious array of jumps. Vincent also showing a bit of that Yuzu grit to come back after the fall on his opening quad and squeeze in another in combo. And he was wearing an actual costume. 

Nathan Chen: finally an artistic program from him. This was an actual performance as opposed to a recital. Not clean, but he won anyway, of course. 

The scores: do I really need to comment? We all know what happened here. 

Vincent: I like his first outing better than this one

Nathan: Same as Vincent, he seemed to skate better before this. He was kind of slow during the ISP and still similarly slow during SkAm. What I noticed is at SkAm he was tense and at many moments missed the music cues. And the spins *sigh* At least the music allowed for various moments of breath

This was the first time I've seen Vincent skate since Saitama and I'm blown away by the difference. I think the year off did him good. He seems relaxed and like he spent the year working on how he presents himself and performs. Maybe finding some other stuff to identify with outside of skating. He held his upper body really well. Honestly, I skipped his short because I expected it to be boring but after watching his free I think I'll go watch it.

It also seems that Nathan has figured out what to do with his arms. His skating seems longer, like he's found a way to lengthen everything he does with this music. This was a good choice to really show off his musicality (a couple of blips though) and years of ballet without him having to sacrifice his kind of style. He seemed off. When was the last time he popped in competition? I don't remember. Olympics? I wonder if the lack of crowd makes it harder to compete because the atmosphere is so different. Plus Gracie said the cardboard cutouts were off-putting so I imagine that while they're a bit funny to online audiences, they're probably distracting for the skaters. 

Looks like they're both building nicely though. Guess they're using this as a step towards Beijing which is why they've both obviously been working on their artistry. 

At the very beginning of ladies stream they showed Nathan's fall from 4T at practice - looked unpleasant, I don't think I saw him loose axis like this in long time. Well, maybe it was first comp nerves after  very long period, who knows.

I am ok with blue shirt - everything is better than last year yellow training shirt.

In terms of performance I liked Iliia, but he really needs to work on his spins and steps, also Tomoki was good.

2 hours ago, memae said:

He seemed off. When was the last time he popped in competition? I don't remember. Olympics?

Last season at Skate America. He popped a solo 4T to a 2T, and tried a 4T+1Eu+3F that he popped to a +2F. He’s always a bit messy at the beginning of the season.

I don't china fans actually know the political issue about philip glass, most china fans just don't like him as a skater.  And actually a lot of foreign artists are agantist the China's Tibet problem, they are usually not banned because of this. Eg. Brad Pitt played the role in seven years in Tibet, but he is rather popular in China and his films are never banned in China except that one.

Another thing about the FS music Nathan used, is that, it is easy to match the music with simple steps, as the style of philip glass is to use the repeated simple rythm, and that's my first impression of Nathan's FS. Oh, he didn't need to do complicated steps, he just did simple crossovers and occasionally waived his arms,  then that matches the simple repeated music melody with occasionally main note....which makes him look like move with the music, but actually just because the music matches crossovers.

I quite like philip glass's music, the OST of "the hours" is really great. But it is great because in the later part, the music rythm change a little bit and a little bit, and that controlled your mood. But in his FS, this is gone, only the simple repeated rythm left, which makes the chore easy for him.

That disppointed me a lot, he knows he is not good at transitions and complicated steps and try to use this music to cover that.

And maybe that's why Philiip Hersh claimed it is a "less is more" style in advance,  since the music allowed him to do less.

Someone had the accuracy of view to see this mistake on a spin by Nathan Chen, which was not seen by the judges :

Well, usually he manages to get a real level 4, doesn't he? Though he looks rather uneasy on spins. This was probably an isolated mistake, but about the Papadakis/Cizeron scoring mess at Europeans, a Tech Panel member had said 80% of their time was to count revolutions, so the absence of call itself looks a bit suspicious.

The other explanation being, judges don't mind, like a former USFSA President said in the 90's?

(She is also accused of having covered-up Callaghan's crimes. That's another level.)

9 часов назад, SitTwizzle сказал:

Well, usually he manages to get a real level 4, doesn't he? Though he looks rather uneasy on spins.

He does, but I've read a lot that he shouldn't (and not such GOEs for sure) cuz his sit position isn't low enough very often, so it shouldn't count (smth. like this, I am too lazy to read rulebook)