Jump to content

Russian Senior Test Skates


Recommended Posts

23 часа назад, yuzuangel сказал:

if sasha improves her non-jumping elements, she can stick to the 4T and still win... 

Not sure, that way she will depend on Anna's jumps and if Kosto will get her 3A back. So I understand why she wants 4Lz, the question is how it goes at practice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fay said:

Yeah, you are either bursting with energy and doing that stuff, or you don’t do it at all. And you don’t do it if you’re obviously out of steam. 

I read somewhere that there were some problems with the ice so her gloves didn't latch on well? That she was injured didn't help also.

 

I do agree with you that she was out of steam tho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Melodie said:

I read somewhere that there were some problems with the ice so her gloves didn't latch on well? That she was injured didn't help also.

 

I do agree with you that she was out of steam tho.

mm i think if you need the ice to be a certain way before you can do a cartwheel for your choreo sequence, you should probably do something else

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just rewatch Sasha Trusova's FP (the SP will come later) and IMO the improvements with non-jumping elements were visible. Her crossovers looked way less awkward now. Whatever that they are doing at Plushenko's camp, I hope they keep it up.

 

PS: Not related to Sasha but what's the deal with using the side lunge like a filler to tick the transition box? An example is Kamila's sidelunge in her FP. It's like a splitting image of Yuzu's but looks very unnatural. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

mm i think if you need the ice to be a certain way before you can do a cartwheel for your choreo sequence, you should probably do something else

 

She is not the only one doing it at least in this season tho and I hope she will keep it. IMO it suits the program. 

 

PS: I hope all those who choose cartwheel will be able to pull it off as they plan to. It is a risky move (among many other stunts/moves skaters choose to include), for sure, and the ice is slippery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever had the idea to give Valieva Bolero should be strung up by their toe nails.

 

And this from someone who agrees she is brilliant, but now sees her going the Lipnitskaia route come the Olympics, I'm not sure why maybe the coldness and stretched highwire feeling.

 

But Bolero deserves real feeling, not a brilliant automata.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, memae said:

I thought Kolyada's SP was something but I just caught up on his FP now and good lord... 

 

He has long been one of my favourites to watch but this is something else. He carries himself differently to how I remember. Like, he was mature but boyish before and now he's just all man in a very elegant way. I'm not sure if it's just because it's been so long since I've seen him skate or not but I am taken aback (in a very good way).

 

I thought this was going to be Shoma's 'season' (if you can call it that) but Kolyada looks like he might be able to give him a run for his money. 

Misha did get married after all. Maybe it's just my doting middle-aged eyes, but when a young man gets married, it seems to me he starts to carry himself differently, with more confidence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Misha did get married after all. Maybe it's just my doting middle-aged eyes, but when a young man gets married, it seems to me he starts to carry himself differently, with more confidence. 

I thought that too. I must admit I couldn't help but notice the little flashes of gold from his wedding band catching the light during his spins (and they were lovely spins). 

The way he held positions and himself is what I hope for Nathan Chen (maybe we have to wait until he's 25). A bit more length, a bit more poise, a bit more fluidity. I noticed it in Anna's skating too - she filled moments better and held positions just that tiny bit longer than she used to but it made a big difference. I know they're all so busy znd tired out on the ice, trying to cram all the elements in and have enough speed for them, but I do really wish they'd all just hold a spiral or lunge or spread eagle or whatever for longer than half a second. I think that's part of why we all love Yuzu's Chopin so much - everything is held and flows. Nothing is in glimpses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally getting around to watching test skates. It’s hard for me to judge programs early season since I generally dislike unpolished skating.  

 

Skipping ice dance.  Can’t think of anyone entered that I’m interested in and I don’t like this year’s rhythm dance.

 

Men’s Short

Samarin: I know I’m in the minority, but I liked his edgy lp music last year since it complements the roughness of his skating. I don’t think folk music is great for him since it requires a certain bouncyness and outward projection that he doesn’t possess.  I wonder why he’s going for quad loop instead of lutz.

 

Gummennik: one of my favorite Russian men.  He has a performance quality that I enjoy but I highly doubt that he’ll make it to the top. There’s something about him that seems fragile to me and he just keeps growing so much.

 

Savosin: well, disregarding tech, he certainly performed to folk better than Samarin. But I suppose exceeding that bar is like stepping over a crack in the sidewalk.

 

Ignatov: I think he might be less slow now. Last year, he was so slow that I found it distracting. Splatted everywhere, but that’s pretty standard for the tech to have some growing pains when you’re improving other aspects, especially this early in the season.

 

Mozalev: Honestly, I thought he was the most boring of the top junior men last year but remember thinking that Russia could finally have a solid anchor on their men’s team. Still not excited by his performance quality, but he seems to be holding true to my original impression of him and he looks like he’s steadily improving all around.

 

Kolyada: He looks great. I’m extremely cautiously optimistic - he’s looked like he would be a world beater in plenty of events that don’t matter.  The performance aspect wasn’t really there but I said the same about his Carmen at the beginning of the season and it ended up being one of my favorites by the end of the season.


 

Pairs Short

Boikova/Kozlovskii: She’s always been a star and he’s steadily working on catching up to her. He’s still distractingly awkward at times, but at the pace they’re improving, I can see them being the leaders for gold by the time Beijing rolls around. A Tarasova/Morozov that’s on are more spectacular, but these 2 have palpable chemistry and seem to have champion mentality.

 

Mishina/Galliamov: Another couple that I find somewhat mismatched. Galiamov would look stunning with Boikova.  I could see this couple being a contender for 2026 - the tech is there.

 

Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin: nothing terrible and she’s nicely polished, but I don’t find anything about them interesting


 

Ladies Short

Scherbakova: sophisticated and polished presentation. Music complements her and I like her subtle expression.  The growth makes her look more elegant.  Slow-mo is not her friend. All the jumps were pretty ugly up close.

 

Valieva: Beautiful skater.  Looks stronger than last year. Her jumps look better than Scherbakova’s and her spins are spectacular. Don’t like that team Eteri packaged them so similarly.

 

Kostornaya: 2axel is big and beautiful. Other jumps weren’t great but big and landed at least. Spins have regressed. Still has a long way to go on the musical interpretation but we all knew she’s further behind on her preparation than the rest. I was expecting to hate the program after everything I’ve heard, but I think it has a lot of potential.  Once she gets comfortable with it, she could set herself apart.

 

Lol, I’ve never seen Plushenko look this anxious in his entire life.

 

Tuktamysheva: Bad costuming. She manages to be the most juniorish looking of all the skaters so far. She’s depending on multiple mistakes from the kids even if she does stabilize that 4 toe.

 

Samodurova: Don’t really like anything about her skating but I like that she seems to have spirit.

 

Medvedeva: I love this music for skating but I don’t think it’s a good choice for her. The music requires power and sweeping edges, 2 of the weakest aspects of her skating.  Looks very rough.

 

Trusova: Her training gear is so stylish. Looks physically strong. I think she’ll be able to keep at least her 4 toe through puberty. Soft, sensitive music isn’t a great choice for her. The movements are mechanical but she is at least making a noticeable effort in working on her non-jump areas.

 

Men’s Free

Skipped Savosin after the opening

 

Mozalev - Hopefully he’ll learn to project. Samarin might have a higher scoring ceiling but none of Russia’s top men have delivered consistently. It would behoove the Russian fed to put their weight behind someone with steady and competitive tech while young enough to learn new quads.  

 

Gummenik: honestly was hoping for better since he’s repeating the program but I’m sure he’s had to spend a lot of time getting used to his body. His face has matured so much in just a few months.

 

Ignatov: poor kid.

 

Kolyada: beautiful. Skating with so much poise and maturity. I much prefer the softer, more classical music over the more upbeat things he seems to like. This type of music accentuates his strengths. Looking forward to seeing him skate when he’s more comfortable with the programs.

 

Alexei Mishin looks ecstatic - if you look really closely in slo-mo, you can see the corners of his mouth quirk up for a quarter second.

 

Samarin: Sorry, I know I have terrible taste but there’s just something I find appealing in his rawness and I love big jumps and fast skating. I keep thinking that if he could find someone who knows how to mold him, he could be an exciting skater.  Where’s his “4” “lutz”?

 

Pairs Free

Mishina/Galliamov: I don’t currently enjoy their skating but I have high hopes for them, especially being under Master Moskvina. I believe, outside of nationals, they consistently competed well last year.

 

Boikova/Kozlovskii: I like this program a lot for them. The style sets them apart from the rest of the field and on a less classical style, the breaks in polish aren’t as jarring.

 

Pavliuchenko/Khodykin: I know I shouldn’t write them off when they’re so young, but I just don’t see them ever having star power, even if he does get more polish.  But they do improve each year and in an erratic field like pairs, steady might be all it takes.

 

Ladies Free

Trusova: I like the opening. The wild and free spirit of the music suit her. I hate that they keep forcing the cantilever into her program - it didn’t suit either program. I haven’t looked at any of the sneak peaks and there was so much negativity surrounding the program but I think its great for her. No, it’s not polished yet, but the music complements her energy really well and is a significant step up in the maturity of her performance. It’s a little concerning that she “only” attempted quad toe and quad lutz and she fell on the lutz.

 

Valieva: That 4toe is one of the most sideways looking jumps I’ve ever seen. Hopefully she’ll have stronger expression later in the season.

 

Tuktamysheva: interesting music. Skating looks so rough but I can see myself eventually liking this program if she skates it well.  That back leaning spiral needs to go - it’s so ugly, just makes her skating look even sloppier.

 

Scherbakova: Only one “quad” attempt. I suspect the rumors are true about her not having them back and they just put the attempt in to try to fake the public out.  Most of the jumps looked labored and the program is rather generic but she’s showing nice maturity and musicality.  

 

Medvedeva: I like this music choice for her. It doesn’t overpower her skating like Masquerade Waltz does.  This program is more about performance which plays more to her strengths while still being a departure from what she normally does and the quirkiness of the music works with the fact that she has some less elegant aspects to her skating. If she skates it well, this has the potential to be so interesting. She’s shockingly out of form considering that she didn’t take a break from training.  She looks thinner than last year.


 

If this were judged, I think it’s 1. Trusova, 2. Valieva, 3. Scherbakova

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Finally getting around to watching test skates. It’s hard for me to judge programs early season since I generally dislike unpolished skating.  

 

Skipping ice dance.  Can’t think of anyone entered that I’m interested in and I don’t like this year’s rhythm dance.

 

Men’s Short

Samarin: I know I’m in the minority, but I liked his edgy lp music last year since it complements the roughness of his skating. I don’t think folk music is great for him since it requires a certain bouncyness and outward projection that he doesn’t possess.  I wonder why he’s going for quad loop instead of lutz.

 

Gummennik: one of my favorite Russian men.  He has a performance quality that I enjoy but I highly doubt that he’ll make it to the top. There’s something about him that seems fragile to me and he just keeps growing so much.

 

Savosin: well, disregarding tech, he certainly performed to folk better than Samarin. But I suppose exceeding that bar is like stepping over a crack in the sidewalk.

 

Ignatov: I think he might be less slow now. Last year, he was so slow that I found it distracting. Splatted everywhere, but that’s pretty standard for the tech to have some growing pains when you’re improving other aspects, especially this early in the season.

 

Mozalev: Honestly, I thought he was the most boring of the top junior men last year but remember thinking that Russia could finally have a solid anchor on their men’s team. Still not excited by his performance quality, but he seems to be holding true to my original impression of him and he looks like he’s steadily improving all around.

 

Kolyada: He looks great. I’m extremely cautiously optimistic - he’s looked like he would be a world beater in plenty of events that don’t matter.  The performance aspect wasn’t really there but I said the same about his Carmen at the beginning of the season and it ended up being one of my favorites by the end of the season.


 

Pairs Short

Boikova/Kozlovskii: She’s always been a star and he’s steadily working on catching up to her. He’s still distractingly awkward at times, but at the pace they’re improving, I can see them being the leaders for gold by the time Beijing rolls around. A Tarasova/Morozov that’s on are more spectacular, but these 2 have palpable chemistry and seem to have champion mentality.

 

Mishina/Galliamov: Another couple that I find somewhat mismatched. Galiamov would look stunning with Boikova.  I could see this couple being a contender for 2026 - the tech is there.

 

Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin: nothing terrible and she’s nicely polished, but I don’t find anything about them interesting


 

Ladies Short

Scherbakova: sophisticated and polished presentation. Music complements her and I like her subtle expression.  The growth makes her look more elegant.  Slow-mo is not her friend. All the jumps were pretty ugly up close.

 

Valieva: Beautiful skater.  Looks stronger than last year. Her jumps look better than Scherbakova’s and her spins are spectacular. Don’t like that team Eteri packaged them so similarly.

 

Kostornaya: 2axel is big and beautiful. Other jumps weren’t great but big and landed at least. Spins have regressed. Still has a long way to go on the musical interpretation but we all knew she’s further behind on her preparation than the rest. I was expecting to hate the program after everything I’ve heard, but I think it has a lot of potential.  Once she gets comfortable with it, she could set herself apart.

 

Lol, I’ve never seen Plushenko look this anxious in his entire life.

 

Tuktamysheva: Bad costuming. She manages to be the most juniorish looking of all the skaters so far. She’s depending on multiple mistakes from the kids even if she does stabilize that 4 toe.

 

Samodurova: Don’t really like anything about her skating but I like that she seems to have spirit.

 

Medvedeva: I love this music for skating but I don’t think it’s a good choice for her. The music requires power and sweeping edges, 2 of the weakest aspects of her skating.  Looks very rough.

 

Trusova: Her training gear is so stylish. Looks physically strong. I think she’ll be able to keep at least her 4 toe through puberty. Soft, sensitive music isn’t a great choice for her. The movements are mechanical but she is at least making a noticeable effort in working on her non-jump areas.

 

Men’s Free

Skipped Savosin after the opening

 

Mozalev - Hopefully he’ll learn to project. Samarin might have a higher scoring ceiling but none of Russia’s top men have delivered consistently. It would behoove the Russian fed to put their weight behind someone with steady and competitive tech while young enough to learn new quads.  

 

Gummenik: honestly was hoping for better since he’s repeating the program but I’m sure he’s had to spend a lot of time getting used to his body. His face has matured so much in just a few months.

 

Ignatov: poor kid.

 

Kolyada: beautiful. Skating with so much poise and maturity. I much prefer the softer, more classical music over the more upbeat things he seems to like. This type of music accentuates his strengths. Looking forward to seeing him skate when he’s more comfortable with the programs.

 

Alexei Mishin looks ecstatic - if you look really closely in slo-mo, you can see the corners of his mouth quirk up for a quarter second.

 

Samarin: Sorry, I know I have terrible taste but there’s just something I find appealing in his rawness and I love big jumps and fast skating. I keep thinking that if he could find someone who knows how to mold him, he could be an exciting skater.  Where’s his “4” “lutz”?

 

Pairs Free

Mishina/Galliamov: I don’t currently enjoy their skating but I have high hopes for them, especially being under Master Moskvina. I believe, outside of nationals, they consistently competed well last year.

 

Boikova/Kozlovskii: I like this program a lot for them. The style sets them apart from the rest of the field and on a less classical style, the breaks in polish aren’t as jarring.

 

Pavliuchenko/Khodykin: I know I shouldn’t write them off when they’re so young, but I just don’t see them ever having star power, even if he does get more polish.  But they do improve each year and in an erratic field like pairs, steady might be all it takes.

 

Ladies Free

Trusova: I like the opening. The wild and free spirit of the music suit her. I hate that they keep forcing the cantilever into her program - it didn’t suit either program. I haven’t looked at any of the sneak peaks and there was so much negativity surrounding the program but I think its great for her. No, it’s not polished yet, but the music complements her energy really well and is a significant step up in the maturity of her performance. It’s a little concerning that she “only” attempted quad toe and quad lutz and she fell on the lutz.

 

Valieva: That 4toe is one of the most sideways looking jumps I’ve ever seen. Hopefully she’ll have stronger expression later in the season.

 

Tuktamysheva: interesting music. Skating looks so rough but I can see myself eventually liking this program if she skates it well.  That back leaning spiral needs to go - it’s so ugly, just makes her skating look even sloppier.

 

Scherbakova: Only one “quad” attempt. I suspect the rumors are true about her not having them back and they just put the attempt in to try to fake the public out.  Most of the jumps looked labored and the program is rather generic but she’s showing nice maturity and musicality.  

 

Medvedeva: I like this music choice for her. It doesn’t overpower her skating like Masquerade Waltz does.  This program is more about performance which plays more to her strengths while still being a departure from what she normally does and the quirkiness of the music works with the fact that she has some less elegant aspects to her skating. If she skates it well, this has the potential to be so interesting. She’s shockingly out of form considering that she didn’t take a break from training.  She looks thinner than last year.


 

If this were judged, I think it’s 1. Trusova, 2. Valieva, 3. Scherbakova

I haven't watched the free program yet but I'm so, so glad you like Petr Gumennik! I had a few seconds glimpse at him during a report about Spartakiad 2018-2019, loved his "know-what-to-do-with-his-body" quality, found his teenager (ballet dancer) Nikolay Tsiskaridze-like figure quite promising, but couldn't find out who he was until last Junior Worlds and I find he is going very well along these promises. I don't know if he will get to the top or not. He's well ahead of Nikolay Tsiskaridze whose transformation from graceful noodle to prince charming occurred around 25, not 18, and figure skating is not ballet, so I can't compare.

 

Spoiler

Forget Carmen Miranda, here's 18-year-old Nikolay Tsiskaridze in Tico-Tico no Fubá!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcVZMQf2t7E

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

awww🥺🥺🥺

Quote

We have Alexandra Boykova - a star of captivating happiness. For whom? For his partner Dmitry Kozlovsky and coaches Artur Minchuk and Tamara Moskvina.

 

interviews with coaches from senior test skates

https://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/5112-na-start-vnimanie-marsh-na-arene-megasport-proshli-kontrol-nye-prokaty-figuristov-sbornoj-rossii.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...