Yuzuru Hanyu on Wikiquote (discussion thread)

Henni147

On 9/12/2020 at 2:44 AM, Henni147 said:

Thankfully, I found an article on Absolute Skating with reliable English translations of some quotes from Aoi Hono I and put them in the draft:   Draft (Update)

However, it would be great to have the original Japanese wording of those quotes, too (ideally with the number of the page in the book).

• I often feel that things you take for granted are not always guaranteed. You are here, you still have a home, and your family is there for you; you can't take them for granted. Everything exists just by luck. Because I almost lost a lot of things, I came to feel this way. I'm only 17 years old, but the disaster totally changed my values... The Great East Japan Earthquake was such a big event.

"「あって当然のもの」なんてないんだな、ということを、よく考えます。今、自分がここにいること。自分の家が、まだ無事に建っていること。そばに家族がいてくれること。どれをとっても当たり前のことなんかじゃない。本当に偶然、幸運に恵まれて存在しているものだということ。一度はいろいろなものを失いかけたことで、改めてそう考えるようになりました。まだ17歳のちっぽけな僕ですが、価値観を大きく変えられてしまう……東日本大震災は、そんな出来事でした。" excerpted from p.166

• More than anything else, I want to make every day count now. I want to make every single normal day, every ice show, every practice and every competition count. That's what I have been thinking about the most since the day of the earthquake.

"今はとにかく、一日一日を大事にしたいと思う。何気ない日常の一日一日、アイスショーの日々、練習の日々、試合の日々をすべて大切にしたい。そんなことを、あの日を境により強く感じるようになりました。" excerpted from p.165

I wouldn't like to hear people say 'Hanyu can't skate well due to the earthquake', when the next season starts... I will never lose my pride in representing the disaster areas, but I want to grow stronger and compete as an ordinary skater, regardless of my circumstances.

"これから試合が始まったら、羽生は地震のせいで成績が落ちた、なんてことにはしたくない。もちろん自分が被災者の代表であることの誇りは絶対に失いはしないけれど、「地震のなかで頑張った」「地震のせいで頑張れなかった」ではなく、普通の選手として、何も関係なく戦えるだけの力をつけたいんです。" excerpted from p.74

All from "蒼い炎"

On 9/12/2020 at 7:32 PM, Henni147 said:

(2) A solid technique is the foundation of artistry. (technique and art are unseparable)

On 9/13/2020 at 1:30 AM, cereus said:

Is that quote from this interview at the Japan National Press Club, around 16:40:

Transcription from 15:54, excerpted from the transcription of this whole press conference provided by JNPC

https://www.jnpc.or.jp/archive/conference/records?utf8=✓&year=2018

"ただ、もし羽生結弦が4 回転半もしくは 5 回転に挑む、試合で絶対に入れると決めた場合は、それは確実に表現の一部にします。それは言えます。その選手が、それぞれの選手が、そういうふうに思えるかどうかはわかりません が、僕のスタイルはそこですし、何より僕がフィギュアスケートをやっている理由は、そういうところにほれ込んだからであって、そういった演技にほれ込んできたから、こうやってオリ ンピックで、この種目で金メダルを目指したいと思ったわけであって、だから、難易度と芸術 のバランスというのは本当はないんじゃないかな、芸術は絶対的な技術力に基づいたものである、と僕は思っています。"

He answered a similar question at FCCJ as well.

Yuzu (26:08-):

"ただ芸術、たとえばバレエとかミュージカルとかもそうですけれども、芸術というのは、明らかに正しい技術、徹底された基礎によって裏付けされた表現力、芸術であって、それが足りないと芸術にはならないと僕は思っています。"

Interpreter (27:54-):

"However, I believe, and this is the case not only for figure skating but for other forms of art including ballet and musicals as well, that this artistry is very much based on having the correct technique and a strong foundation at the core of everything. It is upon these that the artistry is built, and without the strong foundation and the basis in technique, it is not possible to have the full artistry required as well. "

(*But I am not sure if my transcription of the interpreter is 100 percent accurate...)

@Henni147,

Thank you for updating the draft! It has become quite rich:img_21: Thank you again for your hard work. :thanks:
I've read the draft and found some minor corrections. It would be great if you could check the following when you have time:

これから試合が始まったら、羽生は地震のせいで成績が落ちた、なんてことにはしたくない。もちろん自分が被災者の代表であることの誇りは絶対に失いはしないけれど、「地震のなかで頑張った」「地震のせいで頑張れなかった」ではなく、普通の選手として、何も関係なく戦えるだけの力をつけたいんです。

Translation: I wouldn't like to hear people say 'Hanyu can't skate well due to the earthquake', when the next season starts... I will never lose my pride in representing the disaster areas, but I want to grow stronger and compete as an ordinary skater, regardless of my circumstances.
Page: 74.

Sorry that I forgot to tell you, but this quote from Aoi Honoo is a comment from an interview given in May 2011, (Aoi Honoo is based on multiple interviews given on different occasions) and the "next season" he mentioned here is the 2011-2012 season. So it may be appropriate to include this quote in the "2011" category.

プレッシャー大好き、崖っぷち大好き、ヤッホーイ。

Translation: I love pressure. I love being on the edge of a cliff. Yahooi.
Source: Interview with Shuzo Matsuoka, aired 28 November 2016 in 報道ステーション (Hodo Station) on NHK.

Hodo Station is a news show produced by TV Asahi.

自分がすべきことを集中してやっていけば、自ずと道は開かれてくると信じているので。

Translation: I believe that if you focus on what you should do, the road ahead will open up naturally.
Source: Interview at the arrival in Marseille ahead of the Grand Prix Final 2016, published 7 December 2016 by テレビ朝日 フィギュアスケート (Asahi TV Figure Skate on Twitter). (Retrieved 11 September 2020)

テレビ朝日 is TV Asahi.

自分の中で特にこれになりたいというのはないけど、アニメとかは好きだし、なんかとにかく劇的に勝ちたいという気持ちはすごくあります。

Translation: I don't have a hero in particular that I want to be, but I like watching anime, and I quite like to win in a dramatic way.
Source: Hanyu at the men's free press conference at the Rostelecom Cup 2017, as quoted in フィギュアスケートマガジン 2017-2018 シーズンスタート B.B.MOOK 1391 (Figure Skate Magazine, 2017-2018 season's start issue), released on 31 October 2017.

フィギュアスケートマガジン 2017-2018 シーズンスタート B.B.MOOK 1391 has an ISBN, which is 978-4583625294

たとえばバレエとかミュージカルとかもそうですけれども、芸術というのは、明らかに正しい技術、徹底された基礎によって裏付けされた表現力、芸術であって、それが足りないと芸術にはならないと僕は思っています。

Interpreter: I believe – and this is the case not only for figure skating but for other forms of art including ballet and musicals as well – that this artistry is very much based on having the correct technique and a strong foundation at the core of everything. It is upon these that the artistry is built, and without that strong foundation and that basis in technique, it is not possible to have that full artistry required as well.
Source: Press conference at the Foreign Correspondence Club of Japan from 27 February 2018. (Retrieved 14 September 2020)

Maybe this "Interpreter:" is unnecessary? 

Never underestimate Mr Hanyu. That's for sure.

Hanyu's coach Brian Orser at the Olympics 2018 in the mixed-zone interview, aired 6 February 2018 in 報道ステーション (Hodo Station) on Asahi TV.

Again, this one should be TV Asahi.

By the way, I love the way some quotes being displayed together with beautiful photos of his performance :smiley-love017:

@cereus  @sweetwater  Thank you so much! Typos and wrong sources fixed.

It was difficult to separate the quotes from Aoi Hono because of the extensive bibliography and translation source. So I decided to re-group the quotes and give Aoi Hono an own section. There might be more quotes that we want to include from that book and by chronological sorting it would get chaotic very quickly.

Do you like the new solution?

Edit: I left the "interpreter" to make clear that it's not a written but spoken translation live at the press conference. So it's natural that it's not an exact word-by-word translation, but it contains some paraphrasing.

21 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

@cereus  @sweetwater  Thank you so much! Typos and wrong sources fixed.

It was difficult to separate the quotes from Aoi Hono because of the extensive bibliography and translation source. So I decided to re-group the quotes and give Aoi Hono an own section. There might be more quotes that we want to include from that book and by chronological sorting it would get chaotic very quickly.

Do you like the new solution?

Yes! Thank you!

News: A member of the small Wiki monitoring team has taken a look at the draft page and gave a quick reply:

"First off, the draft is already at a very good place - so great work so far, especially with the translations.

Note: I think some of the quotes in the "Quotes about Yuzuru Hanyu" section may need to be reviewed. I would mainly suggest taking out the Instagram comments. Even though those comments come from famous actors, they don't stand out to me as a general reader who is unfamiliar with Yuzuru Hanyu."

When the first collecting wave in the "quotes about"-section is finished, we should have a discussion about the notability of the quotes and drop the superfluous/unfitting ones.

I have an important meeting this afternoon and lot of work to do this week, so I updated the request board:

On 9/4/2020 at 2:20 PM, Henni147 said:

Request board

More quotes from Aoi Hono I & II

Quote BookOriginal Japanese wording, English translations and original sources (this is probably the most urgent request)

Quotes from Yuzu:

• from his novice/junior years (about his career/life goals)
  • Yuzuru appealing to the crowd that they shouldn't forget about the affected areas of Tohoku 3.11 (speech at FaOI)
  • 'I'm happy to say nothing at all' (about his absence from social media)
  • 'Versatility is my selling point' (from FaOI 2019 Kobe)
  • about the meaning of the music and concept of a program
  • Amino Vital CM

Quotes about Yuzu:

• from Tarasova and other coaches, skaters and choreographers (---> interesting comments thread)
  • from athletes of other sports (Uchimura, Ohtani, Osaka, etc.)
  • Shinzo Abe's speech at the People's Honour Award (original Japanese wording)
  • Carol Lane:
    • There are good skaters, there are great skaters and then there is Yuzuru Hanyu.
    • A masterclass in how to be a champion

6 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Quote BookOriginal Japanese wording, English translations and original sources (this is probably the most urgent request)

I have a suggestion as to the usage of this 羽生結弦語録 (Yuzuru Hanyu Quotes)...
At first, I agreed to type the quote in Japanese without giving it much thought. But come to think of it, the book is something like another Wikiquote credit Yuzu as the author. Adding the quotes automatically from a book compiled his quotes feels a bit like plagiarism than quoting to me. :think:
My suggestion is to use the book as a hint or a guide in finding quotes, not as a source or material, and to narrow down the list based on what you (everyone interested in this project) personally find interesting, inspiring, or worth introducing in the Wikiquote.
For example, I think quote no. 2, 3 are suitable for the Wiki since they show his personality. As to no.3, I also know where the quote originally came from. However, no. 2 in which he talks about his mindset toward making mistakes may have alternatives since he talked about it multiple times. 
Quote no. 10 also shows his character but may need annotations.
Quote no. 4 is a variant of this :68271262:

逆境は嫌いじゃないので。弱くなってる自分がすごく嫌なんです。それは本当に嫌いですけど、でも弱いというのは強くなれる可能性があると思ってるんで。

Translation: I don't dislike adversities. What I dislike is myself being weak. I really hate it, but I think being weak means that you have the potential to become strong.
Source: Excerpt from a press conference of the NHK Trophy 2014, held on 30 November 2014, aired the same day in ネオスポ (Neospo) on TV Tokyo and 15 December 2014 in News Every on NTV.

Quote no. 8 and 13 probably have alternatives.
I would skip quote no. 1, 5, 6, 7, 9, 14 because I think they need full context.
I would love to hear your opinions.

6 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Amino Vital CM

I found an old article in which a person from Ajinomoto talks about behind the scenes of the CM. As far as I know, this is the only article about the making of CM published at that time. He talks about how Yuzu was professional during the shooting and how he was good at acting as well, but no comment regarding where the lines came from. I suggest that we put this on hold or forget it until we find a source that confirms that they were based on or inspired by Yuzu's own words.

I will come back later for some of the other requests :8122685:

23 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

the book is something like another Wikiquote credit Yuzu as the author. Adding the quotes automatically from a book compiled his quotes feels a bit like plagiarism than quoting to me. :think:
My suggestion is to use the book as a hint or a guide in finding quotes, not as a source or material, and to narrow down the list based on what you (everyone interested in this project) personally find interesting, inspiring, or worth introducing in the Wikiquote.

Definite big yes. We can and should only include quotes from that book, where we know the exact primary source like an interview, press conference etc. (with date). And yes. We can and should mention the quotation book as an important secondary source.

The existence of a printed quotation book is a very strong indicator that Yuzu is a quotable person in general and it's legit to create a page for him on Wikiquote. This is not a given. Also, every quote that is included in this book, can be labeled as noteworthy. But you're completely right, we must not copy the whole book. We have to make a smart selection and I like your suggestions. The less annotations are needed, the stronger is the quote itself.

Amino Vital CM: this is a typical quote that belongs to the section "attributed/ disputed quotes". It's a quote that everyone associates with Yuzu, but it's not clear, whether it's actually from himself or not. All we need is the CM source, the original Japanese wording and an English translation :agree:

With some help from fellow fanyus we managed to expand Yuzu's article to an impressive size of + 36.000 bytes within a week! Thank you so much :thanks:

I think, the time has come to review the notability of the quotes that we already have:

1. Please feel free to suggest quotes for deletion, where you think that they don't quite fit the page and give a short reason.
    Especially the "quotes about"-section has to be cleaned up, it's more like a container at the moment.
  2. Which quotes should be highlighted and chosen as picture captions? I've done that a bit randomly so far and I'd like to hear your opinion.

Here is the latest version: Draft (updated)

When we're finished with that, the draft can finally be moved to the main article space! I'm really looking forward to that!

:tumblr_inline_n2pjd9sspI1qdlkyg: ...a bit too late?  

On 9/15/2020 at 6:23 PM, Henni147 said:

'I'm happy to say nothing at all' (about his absence from social media)

Spoiler

Source: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/video/detail/yuzuru-hanyu-happy-to-say-nothing-at-all/

Not sure exactly when this interview was given. From his outfit, I guess it was during the Olympics and after he won the 2nd OGM. I am not sure exactly when they released this video as well, but people started sharing this on February 27-28, 2018.

Original Japanese (00:24-): "特に自分からコメントを常に発信したいなとは思ってないし、何よりも、自分がたくさんの方々に愛してもらってるのはすごく分かってるのでうんあのー、何だろう? 特別自分から何かをしなくてもいいかなという風に思っています。"

Translation by Olympic Channel: "I am not really into making a lot of comments for myself. I can really feel a lot of that(sic) from many supporters and I already know that. So in that sense I'm not really interested in trying to send out something for myself."

My translation: "I am not really into making a lot of comments for myself. More than anything, I am already feeling a lot of love from many supporters. So... in that sense, I don't think I need to do something special. (t/n: on SNS)"

On 9/15/2020 at 6:23 PM, Henni147 said:

Amino Vital CM

Spoiler

Original Japanese: “できなかったら、できるまでやる。できるようになったら、完璧にできるまでやる。完璧にできるようになったら、何度でも、完璧にできるまでやる。

Translation: If I can't do it, I will work on it until I can. If I become able to do it, I will work on it until I can do it perfectly. If I become able to do it perfectly, I will work on it until I can do it perfectly any number of times.

Lines from a TV commercial for 味の素 アミノバイタル (AJINOMOTO amino VITAL) released on October 1, 2014, quoted in フィギュアスケート14-15シーズン序盤号 published on November 15, 2014, by 日刊スポーツ新聞社 (Nikkan Sports News)

On 9/11/2020 at 8:33 PM, Veveco said:

Joy (@BecomeTheDance) and Fukuhana (@Fukuhana7) also often provide translations on Twitter, it might be worth getting in touch with them. By the way they are both encouraging fanyus who are learning Japanese by using the hashtag #FanyuStudyClub :10636614:

Great news: Joy, Fukuhana and @amyuzu1012 all joined the team! We created a group chat on Twitter to introduce them to the project.

19 hours ago, sweetwater said:

:tumblr_inline_n2pjd9sspI1qdlkyg: ...a bit too late?  

Reveal hidden contents

Source: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/video/detail/yuzuru-hanyu-happy-to-say-nothing-at-all/

Not sure exactly when this interview was given. From his outfit, I guess it was during the Olympics and after he won the 2nd OGM. I am not sure exactly when they released this video as well, but people started sharing this on February 27-28, 2018.

Original Japanese (00:24-): "特に自分からコメントを常に発信したいなとは思ってないし、何よりも、自分がたくさんの方々に愛してもらってるのはすごく分かってるのでうんあのー、何だろう? 特別自分から何かをしなくてもいいかなという風に思っています。"

Translation by Olympic Channel: "I am not really into making a lot of comments for myself. I can really feel a lot of that(sic) from many supporters and I already know that. So in that sense I'm not really interested in trying to send out something for myself."

My translation: "I am not really into making a lot of comments for myself. More than anything, I am already feeling a lot of love from many supporters. So... in that sense, I don't think I need to do something special. (t/n: on SNS)"

Reveal hidden contents

Original Japanese: “できなかったら、できるまでやる。できるようになったら、完璧にできるまでやる。完璧にできるようになったら、何度でも、完璧にできるまでやる。

Translation: If I can't do it, I will work on it until I can. If I become able to do it, I will work on it until I can do it perfectly. If I become able to do it perfectly, I will work on it until I can do it perfectly any number of times.

Lines from a TV commercial for 味の素 アミノバイタル (AJINOMOTO amino VITAL) released on October 1, 2014, quoted in フィギュアスケート14-15シーズン序盤号 published on November 15, 2014, by 日刊スポーツ新聞社 (Nikkan Sports News)

It's never too late :thanks:

I added both quotes to the draft. I hope, it's okay that I used your English translations? Truthfully, the translation from OC did not make much sense to me...

12 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Great news: Joy, Fukuhana and @amyuzu1012 all joined the team! We created a group chat on Twitter to introduce them to the project.

It's never too late :thanks:

I added both quotes to the draft. I hope, it's okay that I used your English translations? Truthfully, the translation from OC did not make much sense to me...

Thanks for adding the quotes! :thanks: And yes, feel free to use my translations in this thread. Great to hear that translators on twitter have joined the team :img_21: