Yuzuru Hanyu on Wikiquote (discussion thread)

Henni147

5 hours ago, Henni147 said:

@SitTwizzle  @Veveco  In a way "Vamos, Javi!" is part of the quote from the farewell speech already, just in reversed order: "Ganbatte, Javi! Vamos!"

It might be a bit repetative to put that in twice, what do you think? It's an iconic shout out nevertheless.

Oh I just meant it as a joke. As it happens it recently came up on my Twitter feed and I couldn't resist sharing because it's adorable.

2 hours ago, yumeaki said:

I will probably be a reader of the wikiquote once the page is updated so I don't have much to contribute. 

However, just a suggested change in the introduction as shown in red below:

Yuzuru Hanyu (羽生 結弦, Hanyū Yuzuru, born December 7, 1994) is a Japanese figure skater and the first in 66 years since 1952 to win back-to-back Olympic gold in the men's singles discipline.

Regarding the Chinese quote from CCTV, the text by @Hope_and_Legacy is in traditional Chinese characters.

他讓我想起一句話:命運對勇士低語,你無法抵御*風暴 勇士低聲回答, 我就是風暴』」

In simplified Chinese characters, it will be: 他让我想起一句话。 命运对勇士低语: "你无法抵御风暴。"  勇士低声回应: "我就是风暴。"

Traditional Chinese is use mainly in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. Simplified Chinese is use mainly in China (Singapore uses simplified Chinese as well. I think Malaysia too. Not sure about the Chinese community in other countries.)

I'm not sure what is the rule for Wikiquote for Chinese characters but if there isn't, maybe we should follow the origin of Chen Yin? 

As for the English translation, both what you and Hope_and_Legacy stated above are fine. 抵御 = resist, withstand, fight with. The translation in 'the interesting comment thread used "defeat" which really isn't a literal translation but the underlying meaning is probably that - you fight with the storm to defeat it. I actually think the original translation in the 3rd post is good enough.

Don't worry about contributions, your post has been a big help already :thanks:

I added the "since 1952" in the introduction text. That definitely makes sense.

I think, you're right and we should choose the characters according to the person's origin. In this case it's simplified Chinese then, aye?

About the quote itself: I just found out that the Canadian author Jake Remington wrote a book (Wretched) with exactly this quote on the first page and he used the following wording:

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.' "

In a Q&A section Remington answered that he made a lot of research regarding that quote. The original author is unknown, but the quote is often attributed to Genghis Khan.

Maybe we should use the translation "withstand" for 抵御 in this case? The rest is pretty close to what we had as well. I'm not sure about past/present forms, though.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

Don't worry about contributions, your post has been a big help already :thanks:

I added the "since 1952" in the introduction text. That definitely makes sense.

I think, you're right and we should choose the characters according to the person's origin. In this case it's simplified Chinese then, aye?

About the quote itself: I just found out that the Canadian author Jake Remington wrote a book (Wretched) with exactly this quote on the first page and he used the following wording:

“Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.' "

In a Q&A section Remington answered that he made a lot of research regarding that quote. The original author is unknown, but the quote is often attributed to Genghis Khan.

Maybe we should use the translation "withstand" for 抵御 in this case? The rest is pretty close to what we had as well. I'm not sure about past/present forms, though.

Oh, nice research skill.  Since there is sort of an 'official' translation, using the same English word as the book is better. There is no past/present tense in Chinese language so it makes things easy. 

And yes, considering she is from China, perhaps simplified Chinese is better. 

4 hours ago, yumeaki said:

I will probably be a reader of the wikiquote once the page is updated so I don't have much to contribute. 

However, just a suggested change in the introduction as shown in red below:

Yuzuru Hanyu (羽生 結弦, Hanyū Yuzuru, born December 7, 1994) is a Japanese figure skater and the first in 66 years since 1952 to win back-to-back Olympic gold in the men's singles discipline.

Regarding the Chinese quote from CCTV, the text by @Hope_and_Legacy is in traditional Chinese characters.

他讓我想起一句話:命運對勇士低語,你無法抵御*風暴 勇士低聲回答, 我就是風暴』」

In simplified Chinese characters, it will be: 他让我想起一句话。 命运对勇士低语: "你无法抵御风暴。"  勇士低声回应: "我就是风暴。"

Traditional Chinese is use mainly in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau. Simplified Chinese is use mainly in China (Singapore uses simplified Chinese as well. I think Malaysia too. Not sure about the Chinese community in other countries.)

I'm not sure what is the rule for Wikiquote for Chinese characters but if there isn't, maybe we should follow the origin of Chen Yin? 

As for the English translation, both what you and Hope_and_Legacy stated above are fine. 抵御 = resist, withstand, fight with. The translation in 'the interesting comment thread used "defeat" which really isn't a literal translation but the underlying meaning is probably that - you fight with the storm to defeat it. I actually think the original translation in the 3rd post is good enough.

Thank you for pointing that out! I had intended to mention that I was using traditional characters, but I forgot to do that :tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg: While my father is from Mainland China, my mother came from Taiwan, so I grew up learning traditional Chinese. And thank you also for providing the simplified version and confirming that  抵御 was what she said! You're a big help! :softYuzu::tumblr_inline_n2pjektkoB1qdlkyg::tumblr_inline_nhkf04zUM41qid2nw::tumblr_inline_mi7tcqZmot1qdlkyg:

P. S. Now that I think of it, there really isn't much of a past/present tense in Chinese, so yumeaki is right. Ci

On 9/7/2020 at 2:51 AM, fyere0 said:

Yuzuru Hanyu (presumably translated): “I like to win with some drama.”

This one has a source in Japanese as well.

It is from the press conference after men's FS at COR2017,  an answer to a question from a non-japanese reporter. Published in "フィギュアスケートマガジン 2017-2018 シーズンスタート
B.B.MOOK 1391" (Figure Skate Magazine, 2017-2018 season's start issue) released on October 31, 2017.

Original (although the question is a translation from what language I am not sure):
-あなたは外見とは真逆の強さを内面に持っているようです。敵をやっつけるヒーローのような。
そうですね…。なんか、う~ん…自分の中で特にこれになりたいというのはないけど、アニメとかは好きだし、なんかとにかく劇的に勝ちたいという気持ちはすごくあります。

Translation:
Interviewer: In contrast with your looks, you seem to have an inner strength that is like that of a hero defeats his enemy.
Hanyu: Well... Um... Although I don't have any anime hero in particular that I want to be, I like watching anime, etc., and I quite like to win dramatically in any way.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:12 PM, sweetwater said:

Because I found some Yuzu's comments I loved, I searched the sources of these quotes. I could find half of the sources in the Documentaries and Miscellaneous Media (2006-2019) thread made by @kaeryth, so I believe many people have seen them with different subtitles or translations sometime somewhere. However, many of the quotes are linked with old videos that are fun to revisit, so let me share here.
I numbered the quotes in order of appearance. The descriptions of some of the sources are very long as they include transcriptions and translations, so I am going to put them in the spoilers.

1. “I would face the process of realizing my dream seriously”

Original: “その夢までの期間をすごい大事にしたいなと思っています”

10. "Because it is the stage of dreams, the reality of getting there, the path of getting there, I think I should take it seriously step by step."

Original: “まあ夢の舞台だからこそ、本当に…まあそれまでの現実というか、それまでの道のりを、本当に一つ一つ大事にしていきたいなと思っています。”

Reveal hidden contents

Quote no.1 and no.10 are both excerpted from an interview on Sochi2014 given to NHK aired on January 6, 2014, in "おはよう日本(Ohayou Nippon)"

Context: Although it isn't subtitled, you can watch the whole segment here.

The segment features Yuzu as an OGM hopeful from Japan at Sochi. It starts with a brief introduction of him, then looks back at his journey in the 2013-2014 season, focusing on the rivalry between him and Patrick, then introduces his biggest weapon back then(4S), inserting interviews with Patrick, Brian, and Yuzu. The interview with Yuzu is fragmented, so we can only guess the real context, but it looks like the following were the questions:

-How was he going to prepare for Sochi?

-How was he going to compete there?

-What did he think of Patrick?

-What exactly was Yuzu planning to do until Sochi?

Here are the transcriptions and the translations of his comment:

(00:38-)まあ夢の舞台だからこそ、本当に…まあそれまでの現実というか、それまでの道のりを、本当に一つ一つ大事にしていきたいなと思っています。

(*The original of quote no.10)

Translation: “Well, because it is the stage I have been dreaming of, I really want to value my time in real life... or each step of the way until I get there."

(01:40-) “オリンピックっていうのは確実に素晴らしい演技が、あのー、ほとんどの選手が素晴らしい演技をしてくると思っているので、その中で自分も一生懸命食らいついて、本当に点数どうのこうのではなくて、その、「食らいついて追い抜かす」っていうような気持ちも忘れずにやっていきたいなって思います。

"At the Olympics, most of the skaters will perform brilliantly, I think, so I am going to try as hard as I can to keep up. I mean really, regardless of the scores, I want to compete without forgetting the ambition to keep up and overtake them."

(02:53-)「当たってきた自信」て言ったらあるんですけど。その、「当たって砕けろ」じゃないですけど、もう本当に当たって砕け散ってたんで、ずっと。当たって砕け散って当たって砕け散って「何で越えられないんだろう」ってずーっと思ってたんで。まあその感覚はすごいありますし、そこでずっと当たってきたっていう経験っていうのはものすごく大きなものだと思って。勝敗よりも大きなものだと思っているので…”

"I can confidently say that I have tackled. I mean, not as in the proverb, "tackle and break,"* but I have literally been tackling and breaking into pieces since forever. Tackled and broke into pieces, then tackled again and broke into pieces, thinking, "Why can't I surpass?" This feeling is so strong in me, and I think this experience of tackling means a lot. It means more than winning or losing..."

(*t/n: The equivalent of "当たって砕けろ" is said to be "go for it" or "go for broke," but it is hard to translate this comment using these equivalents, so I translated it directly as "tackle and break")

(03:52-)”パトリック選手との勝敗云々ではなくて、自分の中で「自分の演技ができる」っていう自信は大分ついてきました。パトリック選手には本当に感謝してます。本当に、パトリック選手と今回2戦当たらなければ、本当に、今自分がここにいないと思いますし、本当にこうやって当たれて幸せだったなって思います。

Regardless of winning or losing against Patrick, I am gaining confidence inside in my ability to perform like myself. I am truly grateful to Patrick. I think, without having competed with him twice in this season, I would not be here now. It was truly fortunate to have been able to compete with him.”

(06:37-)どれだけ曲かけの練習の中で、本当に四回転両方とも決まってっていうことを、あのー、し続けられるかどうかっていうか、その確率を上げれるかどうかっていうのが、まあ今回、今からやっていかなきゃいけないことかなという風に思っています。

“How much I continue nailing both quads in run-throughs, or, how much I can increase the success rate of doing so, is what I have to work on from now.”

(06:54-)やっぱり夢なんで、その夢までの期間をすごい大事にしたいなって思ってます。

(*The original of the quote no.1)

“After all, it's my dream, so I want to value the time until I reach there.”

(07:12-)羽生:まあ今回がその金メダルかどうか分かんないですけれども。

Hanyu: Well, not sure if this one is for the gold medal.*

インタビュアー:狙いには行きますよね?

Interviewer: But you will aim for it?

羽生:狙うっていうか、今回は今回で楽しみたいなって思ってます。

Hanyu: I rather think that I want to enjoy this Olympics as this Olympics than to aim for it.

(*t/n: Because he speaks very ambiguously here and I don't know what the question was, I am not sure if this translation is accurate. Sorry in advance.)

(07:20-)自分の演技内容は絶対変わらないんで。やっぱり、やることは変わらないですし、やるべきことも変わらないと思うので、まあ自分のペースで、本当に、周りの状況に流されずに囚われずに、自分がやりたいことをやりたいと思います。

“What I perform will never change (t/n: because it's the Olympics.) What I do will be the same. What I should do will be the same as well. So... I want to stay at my own pace and do what I want to do without getting swayed or caught up by what is happening around me.”

2. ”Because I believe what I move these issues beyond the past, the scene ahead is absolutely beautiful. So I am happy right now. In fact, the training is very hard, although I think the present situation is very strict, but I will happily face it and continue to work hard.”

Original: “だからそれをちゃんと乗り越えられた時にある先の景色っていうのは絶対いいはずだと僕は信じているからこそ、楽しいなって思えるし、まあ実際練習はしんどいんですけど、ものすごくきつい状況に立たされてると思いますけど、でもそれを楽しんでいけるくらい頑張っていきたいなと思ってます。”

Reveal hidden contents

Excerpted from his comment in a press conference held on November 30, 2014, the day after NHK 2014 FS and aired by TV Tokyo, in "ネオスポ" (Neosports) on the same day.

Context: You can watch the whole segment here. The footage of the press conference is in the first 90 seconds. Although his comment is fragmented, I think the part conveys his unique strength well, so I am going to transcribe and translate it.

(00:06-01:30)

羽生:(笑い)お願いします。

Hanyu: Hehehe... Thank you!

ナレーター:NHK杯から一夜明け、笑顔で報道陣の前に姿を見せた羽生結弦。しかし昨日の夜は

Narrator: A night has passed after the NHK Trophy. (t/n: They mean the competitive part of it. The press conference took place on the day of the gala.) Yuzuru Hanyu showed up in front of the press with a smile, but the night he spent was...

羽生:昨日の出来が悔しかったもので、寝たり起きたり、で、夢の中でうなされてたりとか、そういうこともあったと思います。

Hanyu: My performance yesterday was so frustrating, so I kept waking up on and off, and I think, at some point, suffered from a nightmare.

ナレーター:2日間で四回転ジャンプは一度も決められず、結果は4位。

Narrator: He could not land a quad jump in the last two days and finished fourth in total.

羽生:逆境は嫌いじゃないので。あのー…弱くなっている自分がすごく嫌なんです。それは本っ当嫌いですけど。

Hanyu: I don't dislike adversities. Um... What I dislike is myself being weak. That I really hate.

羽生:まあ本当に出て良かったなと自分自身思ってます。

Hanyu: I truly feel that it was good to have competed here.

羽生:まあどのスケーターも一度は体験するとは言えない、本当にまれな事件を自分が体験して、それでこういう課題がいろいろ浮かび上がってきて、本当に幸せ者だなと思いました。

Hanyu: I thought it was a blessing that I have experienced such a rare accident that you cannot say that any skater would experience at least once, and discovered various challenges like these.

羽生:だからそれをちゃんと乗り越えられた時にある先の景色っていうのは絶対いいはずだと僕は信じているからこそ、楽しいなって思えるし。まあ実際練習はしんどいんですけどね。ものすごくきつい状況に立たされてると思いますけれども、でもそれを楽しんでいけるくらい頑張っていきたいなと思ってます。(*The original of quote no.2)

Hanyu: So once I manage to overcome it, I believe that the scenery beyond it will definitely be beautiful. That's why I find it enjoyable. Well, the actual training is no picnic, I think I am in a tight situation, but I am going to try hard enough to be able to enjoy it.

By the way, "I don't dislike adversities. Um... What I dislike is myself being weak. That I really hate." has a continuation. NTV edited this comment differently and aired on December 15, 2014, in "News every." when they reported on GPF2015. In this version, he says, ”弱くなってる自分がすごく嫌なんです。それは本当に嫌いですけど、でも弱いというのは強くなれる可能性があると思ってるんで。” which I translated as, “What I dislike is myself being weak. That I really hate. But I think being weak means that you have the potential to be strong.

You can hear his actual comment in this video, from 02:03.

On the same day, Shuzo Matsuoka interviewed with Yuzu on behalf of TV Asahi. Yuzu's comment in this interview supplement the quote used in the MAD, so I am going to quote the relevant part and translate it. This interview was aired on December 9, 2014, in “報道ステーション” (Hodo Station.) You can watch the whole segment here.

(07:14-)

ナレーター:それでもなお羽生がNHK杯に出場することを決めた理由の一端が垣間見えたシーンがあった。それは中国大会でのアクシデント直後。競技を続ける決断をした羽生は、実はこんなことを呟いていた。「さあ、オリンピックチャンピオンらしい演技を」

Narrator: (t/n: After Yuzu said he first thought about giving up participating NHK2014) Nevertheless, Hanyu decided to take part in the NHK Trophy. There was a scene that suggested a part of the reason he made the decision. It was after the accident at Cup of China. After deciding to continue competing there, he murmured like this: "OK, let's perform like an Olympic Champion."

羽生:もちろんプライドはかかってますよ。もちろんそのプレッシャーもすごくかかってるし、「ああ情けないな」ってすごく自分で思うんですけど、それよりもまず、そんなこと考える前に、プライドとか何よりも、まず課題が見つかって次の試合行けるって、次のもう一個の課題を克服するチャンスが来たっていうのは、それはもうただただ、いつも思うように、こんな恵まれたことはないですよ。

Hanyu: Of course, my pride is on the line. I really feel the pressure is on me. I feel like, "Oh, I'm such a letdown." But more importantly, than thinking about such things and about my pride, I have discovered a challenge and can take part in another competition. I have a chance to overcome another challenge. That is simply, as I always feel, a blessing.

羽生:こんなにもたくさんの課題を…もう立ちはだかる…どんだけ高い壁が用意されてんの?ってくらい、もう高い壁一杯あるんですよ。

Hanyu: You have so many barriers in front of you. There are so many high walls that make you feel like, "How many high walls prepared for me?"

松岡:(笑)課題好きですか?

Matsuoka: (Laughs) Do you like challenges?

羽生:もう課題大好きです。

Hanyu: I love challenges!

松岡:大好き!?

Matsuoka: “Love”?!

羽生:だってそれ乗り越えたら絶対その「上」があるわけじゃないですか。そしたらまた「上」があるし。

Hanyu: Because once you overcome one, you will find what is "above" it, then you will (t/n: overcome it and) find another "above" it. 

松岡:何にこだわってるのか皆分かんなかったんですよ。別にだって皆休むんですもん、オリンピック金獲った人は。

Matsuoka: At first, we didn't know what you were sticking to, because there was no problem since everyone takes some time off after winning an Olympic gold medal.

羽生:だから本当は休もうと思ってました。あんだけの…まず腰痛から始まり、中国出て「これはマジ、本当に、これは本当に休めってことかな?」って思って。これでもしグランプリファイナル行けなかったらこれはもう「全日本に向けてしっかり休め」と神様が言ってるんだなと思ったんですけど、出れたんで。だから「ちゃんと乗り越えて見せろよ」って言われたんだと思います。

Hanyu: So I thought about taking time off since there were that much... First of all, there was the back pain, and after CoC, I wondered, "Does this mean that I really, seriously, truly, had better take some time off?" And I thought if I don't qualify for GPF, that would be the god saying, "You should take some rest to be ready for Nationals," however, I qualified. So I think the god was saying, "Show that you can overcome it."

3. “For the sake of this dream, we must go through innumerable trials and hardships.”

Original: “実現するために苦労がたくさん必要だなって思えるようなものでした。”

Reveal hidden contents

Excerpted from "金メダルへの道: 逆境を乗り越えて" (Road to Gold Medal: Overcame the adversities) a documentary by NHK, aired on February 26, 2018.

Context: The documentary features Team Japan athletes at PyeongChang, focusing on how they overcame adversities and compete there. Fortunately, BlueFlameForYuzu has subbed the whole segment about Yuzu.

The part includes the original starts around 31:00, right before the end of this segment. I will transcribe the relevant part and attach BlueFlameForYuzu's translation below, but I recommend watching the whole video if you haven't.

Transcription of Yuzu’s comment includes the original:

今回の2個目の金メダルっていうのは、もうなんか本当に、それこそいちばん小っちゃい頃の夢だったので、かなりなんだろ? 実現するために苦労なんだろ? 実現するために苦労がたくさん必要だなって思えるようなものでした。今までスケート人生人生をスケートにかけてきて、やっぱりすごく良かったなと思える瞬間のモノでした。

Translation by BlueFlameForYuzu:

4.  “I feel I have been fearless. In any case, if I can overcome that, what else I can't?”

Original: “まあ、あんまり怖いものはなくなったかなと思います。どんな環境においても、あれを乗り越えたから「ま、どうにでもなるんじゃねえ?」って。”

Reveal hidden contents

Excerpted from an interview given during "Media Day" at Toronto Cricket Club on August 7, 2015, aired by NTV in “News every” on the same day.

Context:

Probably an answer to a question regarding his experience at CoC2014.

Here is a news clip that includes the same comment, excerpted from "みんなのニュース” (Minna no News) aired by Fuji on August 7, 2015:

(01:07-)”あれを乗り越えたから「ま、どうにでもなるんじゃねえ?」って自分の気持ちは少しあります。

Translation: In any situation I am in, I tend to think a bit like, "I have overcome that. I guess I can handle this?"

In an article based on the same interview published by Nikkan Sports on August 8, 2015, (https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/1519753.html) his relevant comment is quoted like this:

あまり怖いものはなくなったかなと思います。恐怖としてではなく、恐れるものという感じですかね。難しいな。どんな状況、環境においても、あれを乗り越えたからどうにでもなるのではという気持ちがあります。よりうまくなれる、より自信をもって滑れると思うし、より効率よく練習できると思ってます

Translation: “I think I no longer have much to fear. I should rather say "afraid of" than "fear?" It is hard to explain. I feel that I would be able to handle any situation, any circumstance because I have overcome that. I think I can improve, I can skate with more confidence, and I can train more efficiently. (t/n: because of that experience)”

5. "I love pressure. I love on the edge of cliff. A-ho."

Original: “プレッシャー大好き、崖っぷち大好き、ヤッホーイ。”

Reveal hidden contents

Excerpted from an interview given to Shuzo Matsuoka after NHK2016, aired in “報道ステーション” (Hodo Station) on November 28, 2015.

Context: The interview was given on the day of the NHK Trophy Gala that year. They look back at NHK and talk about GPF.

You can watch the whole segment in this video.

and here is a translation by yuzusorbet on tumblr:

https://yuzusorbet.tumblr.com/post/153811318677/shuzo-matsuoka-interviews-yuzuru-hanyu-after-nhk

The relevant part starts around 06:44. The following is the transcription and the translation by yuzusorbet.

(06:44-) "松岡:やっぱり完璧っていうのが2回続いて「羽生さんはミスをしない人」というのがものすごくあるわけですよ。

羽生:あります。プレッシャーはありました。特にこのNHK杯は、やはり「やらなくては」っていう。やっぱりNHK「羽生結弦=NHK=世界最高得点」ていう、もうなんか一括りみたいなものがあって。まあ今回のファイナルもそうですけれども。そういうプレッシャーはあります。ただそれは「期待」なので、プレッシャーって。プレッシャー大好き崖っぷち大好きヤッホーイって感じです。"

yuzusorbet's translation:

6. "I believe that by focusing on what I should do, the road ahead can be opened up naturally."

Original: “自分がすべきことを集中してやっていけば、自ずと道は開かれてくると信じているので。”

Reveal hidden contents

Excerpted from his comment upon arrival in Marseillais for GPF2016. Published by TV Asahi Figure Skate on Twitter. (https://twitter.com/figureskate5ch/status/806400507698876416)

Context: It's a short video, so I am going to transcribe and translate the whole conversation.

インタビュアー:お誕生日おめでとうございます!

Interviewer: Happy birthday!

羽生:ありがとうございます。そうですね、もう日本時間だと…(ここは24時だから)あっち8時なんで、生まれました、無事。はい。(笑)

Hanyu: Thank you. Yeah, in Japan, it's already... It's 24:00 here, so it's 8:00 there. Yup, I was already born, without any problem. (Laughs)

羽生:まあNHK杯終わって、えー…まあそれから練習できる期間が本当に限られていたので、もうとにかく調整ということを重視してやって来たつもりではいます。はい。

Hanyu: After NHK Trophy... there was only a limited amount of time left for me to practice, so I put my focus on conditioning and did what I could, I think.

羽生:あのー、本当に、自分が出来ることを、とにかく…自分が出来ることというか、自分がすべきことを集中してやっていけば、あのー、自ずと道は開かれてくると信じているので、自分を信じて、周りを信じてやっていきたいなと思います。(*The original of quote no.6)

Hanyu: Um... I uh... Anyway, I really believe that the path will be made ahead of me if I focus on doing what I can do, I mean, what I should do, so I want to compete with trust in myself and the people around me.

t/n: I guess the last part is an answer to a question about him trying to win four consecutive GPF titles.

Reference: https://news.tv-asahi.co.jp/news_sports/articles/000089494.html?r=rss2&

7. “In order for tomorrow's self to standing tall back to who you are today, I 'm gonna take care of every single day.”

Original: “明日の自分が今の自分を見たら胸張っていられるように、そんな今を過ごし続けたいなという風に思ってます。

Reveal hidden contents

Excerpted from an interview given to NHK on June 15, 2015, and aired on the same day in “News Watch 9.” Another edition was aired on July 5, 2015 in “明日へ-支えあおう-” ("Toward Tomorrow -Let's support each other-" a mini-program series focuses on 311) as well.

Context: It seems that the interview was about SEIMEI that he debuted in Dreams on Ice shortly before the broadcast, and the second version of Hana ni nare featured his performance at NHK2014. NW9 version focused on the former. Toward Tomorrow focused on the latter. NW9 version has a bilingual video. Hope it will help in getting the context.

The relevant part starts around 03:06. The following are the transcription and my translation:

(03:06-)”常に、明日の自分が今の自分を見たら胸張っていられるように、そんな今を過ごし続けたいなという風に思ってます。

Live in a way I can always be proud of myself in front of me tomorrow when he looks back at me. I am hoping to keep on living the present that way.”

8.   "There is no such thing as night without a dawn," "I've been waiting for the dawn to come"

Original: “それがあるから絶対幸せが来るんだって” ”明けない夜はない

Reveal hidden contents

Excerpted from an interview given to Shuzo Matsuoka and Nobunari Oda on February 17, 2018, aired live by TV Asahi in "平昌五輪 フィギュア男子フリー&表彰式/スキージャンプラージヒル" a program covers the highlights of men's free skating and medal ceremony along with ski jumping in PyeongChang2018.

Context: The interview was given after Yuzu and Shoma came back from the medal ceremony held in the Medal Plaza. You can watch the whole segment with tsukihoshi's translation in this video.

The relevant part starts from 11:51. The following are the transcription and the translation by tsukihoshi.

(11:51-)"松岡:「諦めよう」って、「無理だ」って瞬間なかったんですか?

羽生:ありました。たくさんありました。だけど、それがあるから絶対幸せが来るんだっていうのをひたすら待ってました。「明けない夜はない」ですね。”

tsukihoshi's translation:

9.  "Be clear on your steps, see what can you achieve right now"

Original: 自分の足元をしっかりと見て、で今自分が何を出来るのか

According to some blogs, it is an excerpt from an interview given to Fuji after GPF2014 and aired sometime before Nationals that year, but I could not find the exact source.

11. "It feels like you have to push yourself again and again in any case"

Original: Could not catch what he said since the music was too loud.

Thank you SO much for this huge and detailed collection of great quotes! I put some of them into the article already (I hope, that's okay?), but the translations need proofreading. I tried to compare different fan and machine translations and choose a wording that is as close to the original as possible but still gets the meaning of the quote. This is much harder than I thought :10640793:

Making screenshots of the draft has become too complicated, so I decided to create a user sandbox on Wikiquote and update the draft there. This is the current version:

Updated draft page on Wikiquote  (This page is not published in the article mainspace yet!)

Regarding #3: “For the sake of this dream, we must go through innumerable trials and hardships.”

I really like this quote, but the translations vary a lot here and I wasn't sure, which one to pick.

@fyere0  I included some of the NYT quotes, too. Thank you very much for the links!

@SitTwizzle  I just added some quotes from the Olympic Channel, yours included. You can find them on the draft page.

It would be great, if someone knew the primary sources of those quotes.

Request:

There is a book full of amazing quotes about Yuzu and a thread with English translations:

https://planethanyu.com/topic/516-eng-translation-yuzuru-hanyu-quotes/

I would be awesome, if someone could type the original quote in Japanese, so that it can be included on the page, too.

4 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Thank you SO much for this huge and detailed collection of great quotes! I put some of them into the article already (I hope, that's okay?), but the translations need proofreading. I tried to compare different fan and machine translations and choose a wording that is as close to the original as possible but still gets the meaning of the quote. This is much harder than I thought :10640793:

Making screenshots of the draft has become too complicated, so I decided to create a user sandbox on Wikiquote and update the draft there. This is the current version:

Updated draft page on Wikiquote  (This page is not published in the article mainspace yet!)

Regarding #3: “For the sake of this dream, we must go through innumerable trials and hardships.”

I really like this quote, but the translations vary a lot here and I wasn't sure, which one to pick.

@fyere0  I included some of the NYT quotes, too. Thank you very much for the links!

@SitTwizzle  I just added some quotes from the Olympic Channel, yours included. You can find them on the draft page.

It would be great, if someone knew the primary sources of those quotes.

Request:

There is a book full of amazing quotes about Yuzu and a thread with English translations:

I would be awesome, if someone could type the original quote in Japanese, so that it can be included on the page, too.

I confess I am not wholly sure he said it; not to speak of the accuracy of the translation if he did. The poster Hasn't answered yet to the request of a source.

@Henni147

Thank you for including some of the quotes from my post. I was going to make a simplified list of quotes that might suit the Wikiquote and post here, but you were much faster than me.:D

I saw the draft, too, and I have some suggestions and requests.

もう本当に当たって砕け散ってたんで、ずっと。当たって砕け散って当たって砕け散って「何で越えられないんだろう」ってずーっと思ってたんで。まあその感覚はすごいありますし、そこでずっと当たってきたっていう経験っていうのはものすごく大きなものだと思って。勝敗よりも大きなものだと思っているので。

• Translation: I have literally been tackling and breaking into pieces since forever. Tackled and broke, tackled again and broke into pieces, asking myself: 'Why can I not overcome this?' Well, that feeling is very strong in me and I think, this experience of tackling means a lot. I think, it means more than winning or losing.
    Source: Interview at the Olympic Winter Games 2014 in Sochi, aired 6 January 2014 in おはよう日本 (Ohayou Nippon) on NHK.

I was not sure about adding this one to Wikiquote, because what he is talking about here is his experience of "tackling" (confronting) with Patrick Chan, not with some personal challenges or obstacles. He is indirect, but it is obvious to those who watch the source, and he talked about this experience in other interviews as well. I think a quote like this one should rather be introduced with full context (including his respect toward his rival) and background info.

弱くなってる自分がすごく嫌なんです。それは本当に嫌いですけど、でも弱いというのは強くなれる可能性があると思ってるんで。

• Translation: What I dislike is myself being weak. I really hate it, but I think being weak means that you have the potential to become strong.
    Source: Excerpt from the freeskate press conference of the NHK Trophy 2014, held on 30 November 2014, aired 15 December 2014 in News Every on NTV.

I really loved this one and thought about proposing to add to Wikiquote, so I was happy to find you picked this one as well.:yes2:

If a quote can have two sources, how about merging "逆境は嫌いじゃないので。" and "弱くなってる自分がすごく嫌なんです。それは本当に嫌いですけど、でも弱いというのは強くなれる可能性があると思ってるんで。" together? Because they were originally together, and the first half of this comment also sounds very symbolic of him. 

Here is a draft proposal for the draft:

逆境は嫌いじゃないので。弱くなってる自分がすごく嫌なんです。それは本当に嫌いですけど、でも弱いというのは強くなれる可能性があると思ってるんで。
Translation: I don't dislike adversities. What I dislike is myself being weak. I really hate it, but I think being weak means that you have the potential to become strong.
Source: Excerpt from a press conference at the NHK Trophy 2014, held on 30 November 2014, aired 30 November 2014 inネオスポ on TV Tokyo and 15 December 2014 in News Every on NTV.

(*The press conference wasn't the freeskate press conference but another press conference held next day, so I altered your description of the source. He finished 4th, so he didn't participate in the press conference held by ISU. )

努力はウソをつく。でも無駄にはならない。

• Translation: Effort will lie, but it will not be in vain.
    Common variation: Effort may lie, but will never be in vain.
    Source: Interview at the TCC Media Day in September 2016, aired 2 October 2016 in Fuji TV's Mr. Sunday Hero's Gattai Special.

Would you please add Mr.サンデーHERO’S 合体SP before Mr. Sunday Hero's Gattai Special?:snonegai: I am sorry that I forgot to give the program's Japanese title first.:tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:

それがあるから絶対幸せが来るんだっていうのをひたすら待ってました。「明けない夜はない」。

• Translation: Because there were such moments [of doubt], I was just waiting for the happiness to come. 'There is no night that doesn't dawn'.
    Source: Interview with Nobunari Oda and Shuzo Matsuoka after the men's freeskate at the Olympic Winter Games 2018, aired 17 February 2018 live in 平昌五輪 フィギュア男子フリー&表彰式/スキージャンプラージヒル (Pyeongchang Olympics Men's Free & Awards Ceremony / Ski Jump Large Hill) on TV Asahi.

As to this section, I think tsukihoshi's translation is closer to what he said. In this translation "絶対" hasn't been translated but it is very important in interpreting this quote. I am not a learner or teacher of Japanese, so I am not sure if I can explain this properly, but "絶対 A だ" means something/someone should be/should do/must be/must do A. "絶対幸せが来るんだ" means "There should/must be happiness coming (after this)" 

I agree that the translations need proofreading, but I think you should avoid machine translation in this project because the machine doesn't know the context or the background. Besides, most of the quotes are spoken words, so they are not always in a complete or grammatically correct sentence.

12 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I really like this quote, but the translations very a lot here and I wasn't sure, which one to pick.

I think BlueFlamForYuzu's is more accurate. Here he is talking about his second OGM, which was his childhood dream, after winning it. So the subject should be "I" instead of "we" and "must go through" should be "had to go through," at least. I didn't know that Chinese doesn't have past/present tense. I guess the translations in the MAD were translated first from Japanese to Chinese, then from Chinese to English.

12 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Request:

As to quotes translated by kaerb, how about contacting kaerb?

(I can type them if kaerb's OK with using her translations)

As to Amino Vital CM, let me search some more.

On 9/10/2020 at 6:43 PM, sweetwater said:

As to quotes translated by kaerb, how about contacting kaerb?

(I can type them if kaerb's OK with using her translations)

As to Amino Vital CM, let me search some more.

I have contacted kaerb/@axelsandwich via Twitter already and she allowed me to use her translations, if her work is credited somewhere. Usually non-professional translators don't get cited on the main page, only in the view history. So I don't want to add her translations in my draft, but I'll ask her, if she's willing to add them herself later in the mainspace.

Thankfully, I found an article on Absolute Skating with reliable English translations of some quotes from Aoi Hono I and put them in the draft:   Draft (Update)

However, it would be great to have the original Japanese wording of those quotes, too (ideally with the number of the page in the book).

Posting this here for inspiration:

34 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

I have contacted kaerb/@axelsandwich via Twitter already and she allowed me to use her translations, if her work is credited somewhere.

After what happened with OC no one can blame her.

Joy (@BecomeTheDance) and Fukuhana (@Fukuhana7) also often provide translations on Twitter, it might be worth getting in touch with them. By the way they are both encouraging fanyus who are learning Japanese by using the hashtag #FanyuStudyClub :10636614:

8 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I have contacted kaerb/@axelsandwich via Twitter already and she allowed me to use her translations, if her work is credited somewhere. Usually non-professional translators don't get cited on the main page, only in the view history. So I don't want to add her translations in my draft, but I'll ask her, if she's willing to add them herself later in the mainspace.

Thankfully, I found an article on Absolute Skating with reliable English translations of some quotes from Aoi Hono I and put them in the draft:   Draft (Update)

However, it would be great to have the original Japanese wording of those quotes, too (ideally with the number of the page in the book).

Thank you for everything :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:
As to Aoi Hono, I will check on mine later, although it may take a little time to pinpoint the sources.

15 hours ago, Veveco said:

After what happened with OC no one can blame her.

Joy (@BecomeTheDance) and Fukuhana (@Fukuhana7) also often provide translations on Twitter, it might be worth getting in touch with them. By the way they are both encouraging fanyus who are learning Japanese by using the hashtag #FanyuStudyClub :10636614:

Thank you so much for the thread link on Twitter!

I scrolled a little bit through it. The biggest task will be to select noteworthy quotes and search the original sources. We will probably need some help with that.

I put a request board here in this thread, so that we have a quick overview of things that should be added to the page:

On 9/4/2020 at 2:20 PM, Henni147 said:

Requests:

1. Original Japanese wording of the quotes from Aoi Hono (and page in the book)
  2. Original Japanese wording and English translations of the quotes in the Quote Book
  3. There are some quotes that I'd really like to include, but I can't remember the exact wording and source:
    (1) With my skating I can express myself in every language. (figure skating can overcome language barriers)
    (2) A solid technique is the foundation of artistry. (technique and art are unseparable)
    (3) Yuzuru appealing to the crowd that they shouldn't forget about the affected areas of Tohoku 3.11 (I think, it was a speech at FaOI)