How Yuzuru helped me to become a better person/student

Tae Grane

Hello everyone this is my first post here and I am not native speaker in English so I'm sorry for my mistakes in advance ^^
I'm a third year psychology student from Turkey and yesterday I got a mail from my school that I learned that I received an achievement/success scholarship (it is given to only 5 people each year.). When I found out this I started to cry because I had never been a successful student before this year. So I just thought about my school journey and I realised how Yuzuru's life story and his determination affected me. 

I was studying for university entrance exam when I first met with Yuzuru. At back time, I was so hopeless about myself because I dropped out high school in my second year and didn't study at all until the exam time. When my friends already got in universities/collages I was still at home and my family was so disappointed with me. It was a horrible life period for me. I felt like I did not need to study because I had no self-confidence and no purpose in life. But as I started to follow Yuzuru, his determination and tenacity, started to affect me a lot. When I read his "Effort will lie, but will never be in vain" quote, I felt like he said this to me. I was shocked because I used to thought I study for nothing since I couldn't get any results. It is such a simple phrase actually but at back time it helped me a lot to get my life in order. After that I read most of his interviews and some parts of Aoi Hono. In summary I felt so inspired and my life has changed.

Ofc magically I didn't become a good student in the same year ahaha Again I screwed up in entrance exams bUT that time I didn't give up and took my failure as a chance to regain myself. When I finally went into a university, I promised myself that no matter how hard it is, I won't give up :tumblr_inline_mto5hwcNlg1qid2nw:  Since then, I have gained a discipline and determination to work. Now I don't give up easily and sometimes (I'm sorry to admit this) I push myself too hard  :13877886: because I know I can do better if I try harder :')) If high school me could see me like this, she would be very proud of herself. HEY 2015 me see how far I came!!! :7562096:

If you read until here, thank you so much for your time. I just wanted to share my this story with you guys because it is a big thing for me and maybe there are people like me here and we can relate each other :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:

Lastly "If you cannot do it, practice until you can do it. If you can do it, then practice till you can do it perfectly. If you can do it perfectly, then practice until you can do it perfectly every time"  but while you try your best, don't forget to take care yourself and your mental health. Don't compare yourself to other people, there is a time for everything and everyone so give yourself time for this :tumblr_inline_mto5i4jHv61qid2nw:

47 minutes ago, Tae Grane said:

Hello everyone this is my first post here and I am not native speaker In English so I'm sorry for my mistakes in advance ^^
I'm a second year psychology student from Turkey and yesterday I got a mail from my school that I learned that I received an achievement/success scholarship (it is given to only 5 people each year.). When I found out this I started to cry because I had never been a successful student before this year. So I just thought about my school journey and I realised how Yuzuru's life story and his determination affected me. 

I was studying for university entrance exam when I first met with Yuzuru. At back time, I was so hopeless about myself because I dropped out high school in my second year and didn't study at all until the exam time. When my friends already got in universities/collages I was still at home and my family was so disappointed with me. It was a horrible life period for me. I felt like I did not need to study because I had no self-confidence and no purpose in life. But as I started to follow Yuzuru, his determination and tenacity, started to affect me a lot. When I read his "Effort will lie, but will never be in vain" quote, I felt like he said this to me. I was shocked because I used to thought I study for nothing since I couldn't get any results. It is such a simple phrase actually but at back time it helped me a lot to get my life in order. After that I read most of his interviews and some parts of Aoi Hono. In summary I felt so inspired and my life has changed.

Ofc magically I didn't become a good student in the same year ahaha Again I screwed up in entrance exams bUT that time I didn't give up and took my failure as a chance to regain myself. When I finally went into a university, I promised myself that no matter how hard it is, I won't give up :tumblr_inline_mto5hwcNlg1qid2nw:  Since then, I have gained a discipline and determination to work. Now I don't give up easily and sometimes (I'm sorry to admit this) I push myself too hard  :13877886: because I know I can do better if I try harder :')) If high school me could see me like this, she would be very proud of herself. HEY 2015 me see how far I came!!! :7562096:

If you read until here, thank you so much for your time. I just wanted to share my this story with you guys because it is a big thing for me and maybe there are people like me here and we can relate each other :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:

Lastly "If you cannot do it, practice until you can do it. If you can do it, then practice till you can do it perfectly. If you can do it perfectly, then practice until you can do it perfectly every time"  but while you try your best, don't forget to take care yourself and your mental health. Don't compare yourself to other people, there is a time for everything and everyone so give yourself time for this :tumblr_inline_mto5i4jHv61qid2nw:

Welcome! and what a lovely post!

1 hour ago, Tae Grane said:

Hello everyone this is my first post here and I am not native speaker In English so I'm sorry for my mistakes in advance ^^
I'm a second year psychology student from Turkey and yesterday I got a mail from my school that I learned that I received an achievement/success scholarship (it is given to only 5 people each year.). When I found out this I started to cry because I had never been a successful student before this year. So I just thought about my school journey and I realised how Yuzuru's life story and his determination affected me. 

Congratulations! That's such good news! Yuzu sets a great example of someone who had so many chances to give up and never did, and succeeded against all odds in the end. Makes it feel like if he could do something that amazing, we could overcome the little challenges we face too :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Congratulations! That's such good news! Yuzu sets a great example of someone who had so many chances to give up and never did, and succeeded against all odds in the end. Makes it feel like if he could do something that amazing, we could overcome the little challenges we face too :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:

Exactly!! He is so inspiring and makes me believe myself that I can do anything if I put enough effort on it :tumblr_inline_mi7tcqZmot1qdlkyg:

• 5 months later...

Hello!! Hope its okay I revive this place hehe. I want to share here the thread I posted on my Twitter account:

I haven't tweeted about this here before, only on my private account, but for almost a week now I've been off of Sertraline (an antidepressant). I take two other meds for depression, but this is a huge step for me because I've been taking Sertraline since 2015. I was given the green light to wean off it two weeks ago by my psychiatrist because therapy has helped me so much and given me the tools to cope better. If you follow me on my previous figure skating stan account, you'd know I've been in remission from childhood depression for a while now. Nowadays, I don't feel depressed at all. And I owe it to myself for being so strong, but I also owe some of it to Yuzuru and his skating for helping me go through the tough times I've had from 2017 onwards. Watching/reading his interviews, getting insight into the way he views fear/anxiety/pressure, and just watching him skate to soothe my soul... these have tremendously helped me so much.

My first therapist knows I love Yuzuru. He (therapist) said that we admire our idols because we see in them what is in us. And it is only now that I'm starting to confirm that yeah.. maybe there's some truth in that.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I quit smoking. In the last 48 hours I say this to myself every time I want to smoke...’Yuzu is in a foreign country with rampant deadly disease. He wears two masks. He is going to give three epic physical performances and train like a demon. If Yuzu can do THAT, then  surely you do not need to have a smoke!’

it has worked so far. Yuzu is my phone Lock Screen. When I feel like a smoke I look at Yuzu and I don’t want to do it anymore.  
‘Thanks for being my motivation Yuzu!

57 minutes ago, SeimeiOrigin said:

Yesterday I quit smoking. In the last 48 hours I say this to myself every time I want to smoke...’Yuzu is in a foreign country with rampant deadly disease. He wears two masks. He is going to give three epic physical performances and train like a demon. If Yuzu can do THAT, then  surely you do not need to have a smoke!’

it has worked so far. Yuzu is my phone Lock Screen. When I feel like a smoke I look at Yuzu and I don’t want to do it anymore.  

Welcome SeimeiOrigin!

I am so glad you quit smoking, you will feel so much better!

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/23/2021 at 2:47 PM, SeimeiOrigin said:

I am very happy to hear that you quit smoking!! I used to smoke in high school (yes,, teen times sadly) so I know how it is difficult to quit it. I don't smoke anymore even I can't stand its smell. it is horrible. I hope you don't smoke again, good luck on your journey. I dont know you but please know that I am very proud of you :img_21:

1 minute ago, Tae Grane said:

I am very happy to hear that you quit smoking!! I used to smoke in high school (yes,, teen times sadly) so I know how it is difficult to quit it. I don't smoke anymore even I can't stand its smell. it is horrible. I hope you don't smoke again, good luck on your journey. I dont know you but please know that I am very proud of you :img_21:

Thank you Tae mad lol others for your well wishes. today is the 14th day of quitting after smoking for 40 years.  Yuzu continues to be my light and inspiration for not smoking. I think about all the trials he is going through everyday and I am inspired by how what I am doing seems so easy compared to that. 
‘I appreciate your well wishes Tae :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hananistellata said:

I know that this is a pretty old post but how is it going right now? Is it coming along well? 

Pretty Good - 3 months yesterday. Every time I think about having a smoke I just look at a random Yuzu picture and think "I don't need it" and the craving goes away. Yuzu is kind of my "crutch" - kind of like Pavlov's dog - Get a craving and ding! go check out the hottest man on Earth.  Thanks for asking :)

• 1 year later...

Congratulations and thank you for this thread! 

Yuzu's example inspired me to apply for a job that I would have been too scared to apply for otherwise. Also, he inspired me to start going to gym again and rediscover joy in Latin dance! 

Having only recently become aware of how exceptional of an athlete, artist, and person he truly is and now on the search to reorient and find my own happiness as a result of being inspired by him and his life, I find comfort and reassurance in reading about how Yuzu has managed to change the lives of so many people. Thank you so much for sharing!