Sewing/Knitting/Crocheting etc.

yuzuangel

7 hours ago, Glory said:

I've never tried crochet. Do you think it's more enjoyable than knitting?

I've done both. They each have their merits. With crochet it's a little easier to make odd shapes and 3-D things (like dolls) but for garments I think the smooth look of knitting is better. 

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I've done both. They each have their merits. With crochet it's a little easier to make odd shapes and 3-D things (like dolls) but for garments I think the smooth look of knitting is better. 

I might one day soon try crocheting something. I have too much free time. Especially nowadays. I'm always up for more crafty things!

I made a Pyongchang colors Olympic medal for my Yuzuru doll using pink and blue ribbon and a plastic kids medal that I decorated with sparkly gold stones. I swear the doll looked happier with it on!!😄

11 hours ago, Glory said:

I've never tried crochet. Do you think it's more enjoyable than knitting? I did get tired of knitting pretty quickly 😆

As far as I concerned,  crochet is more enjoyable^^.  I can make different stitches with crochet, it seems faster too and there is only one needle to use. I only see advantages. But I'm probably not objective at all... lol.  :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

5XWrVPx.jpg

I had been making this figure skating dress when someone decided to sleep on it!

It's not done yet so I'll show it in full when I have all the pieces :dancingeggplant:

That's very promising !! :Vishenka_04:

Is it for you? For a member of your family ? Or... ?

On 8/12/2020 at 6:41 PM, yuzuangel said:

5XWrVPx.jpg

I had been making this figure skating dress when someone decided to sleep on it!

It's not done yet so I'll show it in full when I have all the pieces :dancingeggplant:

oh wow you're so talented! Did you sew all those sequins on yourself? It seems like it would be so hard!!  Have you made regular clothes also?

• 3 weeks later...

I finished another cowl last Sunday. It was kinda unplanned (or rather, my initial plan for the cowl was way different from what I finally did during the finishing process) to finish it on that day, but considering that I don't even have enough in my stash to continue knitting it to the initial desired length I finally decided to just cast that one off the needle and join the ends.

It is just enough to cover my neck, unlike my previous cowl, which is red and can be draped twice around my neck. My initial plan was to knit again a similar cowl to my red one (but this time in blue 😅😂). It is worn more like a buff and I don't feel like it's the type that I can wear outside during the winter (feels more like autumn/early spring cowl I guess?). That said it's growing on me — it turned out quite well I guess 😜

• 1 month later...

Sooooo around the beginning of October I have been in a knitting spurt and after the cowl I last knitted I have also knitted:

1. A cozy for my coffee glasses
  2. Patches of lace knitting patterns
  3. ...some more little knitting patches (one in herringbone stitch and two ribbed)
  4. A mini shoulder throw in a ribbed stitch with bulky yarn

But most of all, I just finished knitting my first lace shawl, I KNITTED MY FIRST SHAWL! (IN LACE!!) TODAY!! 

So before the shawl, the mini shoulder throw is like the *main* project I had on my needles, and I didn't even like, intentionally plan to knit one (...until I stumbled upon the said bulky balls of yarn when I was actually looking for *new* clothes for the cooler season at a thrift shop 😅😂🙈). I initially only bought two skeins of bulky yarn from the thrift shop, but the yarn length was definitely not enough so I went to another shop to buy a new yarn (and there was no yarn bulky enough so I had to figure out a way to make do), and during this time I bought (just) a ball of yarn (in a different weight from the one I used for the mini throw). I initially planned to just to use this ball of yarn to idly knit yet another patch of knitted lace...but later I decided to try knit a triangular shawl. I thought at first of just knit it plain, but later I figured out a way to put in a lace knit pattern into it. It ended up taking two balls of yarn (and I ended up needing a few more cms of a third ball of yarn 🙈, since I knitted such an extravagant lacy edging for the bind off of the shawl 😅😂).

I used to loathe knitting lace (since I am such a tight knitter and knitting lace requires you to relax your tension a bit) but once I tried knitting various patches of lace knitting patterns I wanted to try knit it into something wearable (in this case, a shawl). I must say I am satisfied with the result 😃😏 (...but don't look too closely on the lacy details, it looks wonky in some places 😅🙈💀). Now I am more comfortable with knitting lace but I feel like it will be a while until I knit another lacy thing again...

PS: at this point I should really post pictures of my knitted works here...it will be coming soon enough! 🙈🙈