2021 World Championships in Stockholm

5 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

Sweden extends travel ban – and adds post-Brexit exemption

https://www.thelocal.se/20201217/sweden-extends-travel-ban-and-adds-post-brexit-exemption

Well, with Canada, the US and Russia no able to attend, Yuzu wins without any competition at all - if he even decided to go.  I can't see it happening at all.  They can't have a world championship without more than half of the best skaters in the world. (I think this would also mean that Yuzu wouldn't be able to go to Toronto to train first - but it would allow Jun to attend.)

4 hours ago, mambook said:

There's an exemption to enter the country for athletes and support staff. This has been in place since November 2020

https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-police/the-coronavirus-and-the-swedish-police/travel-to-and-from-sweden/

It’s good to point this out. I believe many countries (!) have this exception in place for sports competitions, but many people simply don’t know about it. 

1 hour ago, Winnie_20 said:

It’s good to point this out. I believe many countries (!) have this exception in place for sports competitions, but many people simply don’t know about it. 

There may be an exception, but that doesn't make it safe.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:59 PM, monchan said:

You can start to count now the days new COVID from UK spread to every corner of Europe. They are taking measures quickly but I bet things will get out of control immediately the moment border restriction is loosened lol.

Oh yeah. Ontario just reported it's first cases of the new strain yesterday - even though flights/travel from the UK was shut down a week ago. 

Pardon my profanity, but 

Spoiler

F*ck COVID already. 

Okay - I can think of one very clear way to make World safer for everyone.  The ISU should ban the RusFed from sending any athletes or support staff.  It's not enough that they can't compete under the Russian flag.  They have shown an appalling disregard for the safety of their athletes and that isn't going to change in three months.  Putting skaters on the ice when they are ill is both dangerous to the skater and inconsiderate to everyone else.  Who knows how many of their elite skaters will ever fully recover?  Not that it's relevant to this years competitions but Evgenia is likely done competing forever.  I don't want Yuzu anywhere near the Russians.

• 2 weeks later...

There are no news (good or bad..)  about WC?

are they going to cancel the event or planning a safe exhibition?

my heart want to go, but who can go in this situation?:confused:

4 hours ago, virgola said:

There are no news (good or bad..)  about WC?

are they going to cancel the event or planning a safe exhibition?

my heart want to go, but who can go in this situation?:confused:

ISU will have a meeting on 28 January, we might know more after that.

With more Nationals cancelled (the latest being Canadian Nationals and Swedish Nationals itself), I don’t know, the chances of holding the WC seems slimmer. But they may still be hell bent on it tho.

If they don't prevent the Russians from coming, no sensible fed is going to put their athletes at risk- unless, I guess, the Russian athletes and coaches do a mandatory quarantine upon arrival and test daily during that time.) There is talk of moving it to Russia, but that would be even more ridiculous.

3 hours ago, barbara said:

If they don't prevent the Russians from coming, no sensible fed is going to put their athletes at risk- unless, I guess, the Russian athletes and coaches do a mandatory quarantine upon arrival and test daily during that time.) There is talk of moving it to Russia, but that would be even more ridiculous.

If anything, the option of moving it to Russia is a no-go right now due to the ban

From Russian to Japanese to English translation (original news in Russian): 

According to the head of Swedish Skating Federation, the preparation for the World Championship is moving ahead as scheduled.  The cancellation of other national events should not interfere with the Worlds.   They are closely cooperating with ISU, and will ensure the health and safety of all those involved. 

This makes me very fearful... 

I watched Roman's posting about the cancellation of Canadian Nationals and, with that cancellation, how can they possibly even think countries can send a truly representative team, even if they could hold it safely?  As Roman says, there are skaters who haven't even been able to get ice time.