2021 World Championships in Stockholm

^^ Well, at least that's something.

I completely agree with the ones who believe that cancelling Worlds is not up to us and we should not demand it to be cancelled. This is something that the skaters, workers and federation should discuss among each other if necessary as it's in their own interest. We should have absolutely no say in it. We are not competing. Our athletic future and health is not on the line. Theirs is. If there is any athlete who doesn't agree with the ISU's decisions, I'd like to believe they will have spoken to them directly about it by now.

Besides, I think we will all be a bit hypocritical anyway, me included. We would prefer the competition to be cancelled, but we will still watch it regardless.

13 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It would be even better if ISU Figure dropped the idea of using this Worlds as the Olympic qualifier, and instead looked towards the fall for that. By September, vaccination will be widespread and the infection rate should be ebbing (God willing!), and things like the GP series could be considered, or a one-time special competition/evaluation could take place.

Because really, the #1 problem with this Worlds is that countries are being forced to participate by making the Olympic spots contigent on Worlds results. Change that, and the whole problem goes away. 

This! I agree there will be athletes who genuinely want to participate in this Worlds but chances are it’s cos of the Olympic spots. I hate seeing that countries cancel their own local comps but are now releasing lineups for Worlds just because of Olympic spots. I wish ISU can be more creative in coming up with an alternative but oh well. 

Anyone here who might be familiar with the medical basis for this new protocol from ISU?

This applies to anyone who tests positive in their PCR test but is asymptomatic and has had COVID before.

It seems to me like a way for people to test positive but still be allowed into the competition bubble.

Has this been also done in other sports?

4 hours ago, katonice said:

Anyone here who might be familiar with the medical basis for this new protocol from ISU?

This applies to anyone who tests positive in their PCR test but is asymptomatic and has had COVID before.

It seems to me like a way for people to test positive but still be allowed into the competition bubble.

I don't know about other sports, but it is true that a person can be physically recovered from a documented Covid infection and still test positive but not be infectious. It's really tricky.  But to be safe, anyone who tests positive should be quarantined until they test negative. There are still so many unknowns about this virus and they should have high standards for entrance into that bubble.

5 hours ago, katonice said:

It happened at AO tennis prior to entering bubble.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jan/14/us-tennis-player-tennys-sandgren-flying-to-australian-open-despite-positive-covid-test

IIRC there was another incident with players testing positive as virus shedding but I can't remember whether the outcome was to quarantine or allowed to continue to train 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jan/19/restrictions-may-ease-for-australian-open-players-if-positive-covid-cases-shown-to-be-historical

The cases in AO were assessed by the government health authorities rather than event organisers whether there was likelihood of athletes being infectious.

Tennis is not a good role model, there's also been cases in other tournaments of athletes competing with fever (Zverev at FO) or ignoring "close contact" rules (French team exposed to a player testing positive in US open bubble, one male player was allowed to play his match before local authorities stopped another player from her match)

6 hours ago, mambook said:

It happened at AO tennis prior to entering bubble.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jan/14/us-tennis-player-tennys-sandgren-flying-to-australian-open-despite-positive-covid-test

IIRC there was another incident with players testing positive as virus shedding but I can't remember whether the outcome was to quarantine or allowed to continue to train 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jan/19/restrictions-may-ease-for-australian-open-players-if-positive-covid-cases-shown-to-be-historical

The cases in AO were assessed by the government health authorities rather than event organisers whether there was likelihood of athletes being infectious.

Tennis is not a good role model, there's also been cases in other tournaments of athletes competing with fever (Zverev at FO) or ignoring "close contact" rules (French team exposed to a player testing positive in US open bubble, one male player was allowed to play his match before local authorities stopped another player from her match)

Thank you. It does seem like this protocol has some basis in actual medical practice. 

However, there's still the question if ISU/organizers will use this protocol correctly. Sadly, ISU and some federations have shown themselves quite capable of acting completely for their own self-interest, regardless of even common sense. The level of distrust is so high that I think few believe they will not try to use this to keep some COVID positive athletes in the competition. 

Everyone entering my country goes into managed quarantine. We get quite a few positive tests that turn out to be historical. If the CT (cycle threshold) is high (less viral load)they test for antigens/ antibodies. It can then be determined if the case is historical and therefore not infectious. 

This doesn't mean I trust the ISU:gaah:

It's not just that the ISU may or may not be trusted (about this or anything) but they are relying on skating feds to be honest and forthright about their athletes,  We all know which fed is not likely to comply with that request for honesty.  The Russian Fed has shown repeatedly, that they cannot, will not follow prescribed protocols to keep their own athletes healthy and safe.  They most certainly don't care if they jeopardize the health of other countries athletes.  Anyone testing positive should not be allowed in the bubble, period.

16 hours ago, katonice said:

Thank you. It does seem like this protocol has some basis in actual medical practice. 

However, there's still the question if ISU/organizers will use this protocol correctly. Sadly, ISU and some federations have shown themselves quite capable of acting completely for their own self-interest, regardless of even common sense. The level of distrust is so high that I think few believe they will not try to use this to keep some COVID positive athletes in the competition. 

14 hours ago, barbara said:

It's not just that the ISU may or may not be trusted (about this or anything) but they are relying on skating feds to be honest and forthright about their athletes,  We all know which fed is not likely to comply with that request for honesty.  The Russian Fed has shown repeatedly, that they cannot, will not follow prescribed protocols to keep their own athletes healthy and safe.  They most certainly don't care if they jeopardize the health of other countries athletes.  Anyone testing positive should not be allowed in the bubble, period.

It is very fortunate indeed, that safety at Worlds doesn't rely on ISU, or on some federations.

@barbara 's comment made me imagine, had Worlds 2021 been planned in Russia... :eeking::dbana:

Skate Sweden and Swedish authorities seem to be working to ensure safety without hindering too much skating, and I am very glad that everybody will be tested repeatedly.