2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

More by luck than judgement bojo seems to have hit the sweet spot re vaccination. Our residential home resident has had both jabs, as has our junior Dr, those of us with underlying health problems of whatever age have has their 1st jab with the second due in April.  So far it’s on track and reaching the ones that need it.  The AstraZeneca mess globally is v distressing - they are the only ones who made the jab available to all, non profit yet they are being hassled over outcomes that are less hazardous than found in the general population- it stinks of big pharma

The registered daily new cases in my country is the highest so far, 6700 in the past day which is really bad. 1/5 of the whole population already got the first jab, that's at least some good news. Since two of my acquaintances have died of Covid in the past 2 weeks (and one other, a pregnant woman, almost died), I'm relieved that my mother will finally get the first vaccination in a few days. 

Otherwise I'm trying not to follow the news too closely and keep it to a minimum, it has become difficult to deal with everything mentally in the past weeks. 

On 3/31/2021 at 6:50 AM, sallycinnamon said:

The registered daily new cases in my country is the highest so far, 6700 in the past day which is really bad. 1/5 of the whole population already got the first jab, that's at least some good news. Since two of my acquaintances have died of Covid in the past 2 weeks (and one other, a pregnant woman, almost died), I'm relieved that my mother will finally get the first vaccination in a few days. 

Otherwise I'm trying not to follow the news too closely and keep it to a minimum, it has become difficult to deal with everything mentally in the past weeks. 

That's difficult. My sympathy for your losses. It must have been so terrifying for the one who is pregnant.  

My city & province have just gone back into a so-called 'lockdown' that isn't going to accomplish anything because they'releaving the schools open and not vaccinating teachers yet...and of course there's no vaccine approved for use in kids yet...it's only been a month since the last lockdown lifted...disappointing doesn't even begin to cover it.

I'm having a really bad moment. Trying to hold it together but all I  see is my community losing a race against time because of bad decision making at the top.

Those of you working  in health sectors or medics.. thank you and hope you guys are doing fine... and vaccinated..

I'm an educator and while  the government considers us among the priorities we still haven't got the vaccine, but that's for another time I'm not  even  gonna touch on that. The most important thing for me is my parents have already gotten their doses complete (they're medical workers, though not the first line for covid).

In my city,  the situation seems to  be looking up, but the  whole  country idk.. also many people are still  irresponsible and just ugh. Still hoping it will soon be manageable and things can get back closer to normal...

Well, I suspect that my city is about to get clobbered. My sister-in-law is an ER nurse. She was on shift yesterday.  The whole day was fine, normal, quiet, and then suddenly at 4pm, they had 8 patients arrive all at once, all really badly sick with COVID. In the blink of eye they went from 'nothing going on' to 'here's the tsunami'...all I can say is that I hope it's a one time blip because otherwise we'll be in trouble. We can only really handle a trickle of COVID patients at a time.

And the entire Vancouver Canucks hockey team is now out of commission because 16 players and 3 coaches have gotten sick with the Brazilian variant.  So much for 'only old or unhealthy people get sick from this'. 

In Bucharest we have the British variant playing around ... the intensive care is at it's limit in almost all the Covid hospitals ... yeah, it's not really good ... and we have a bunch of crazy ppl manifesting in the University Plaza, without wearing masks and screaming "The Pandemic has to go" ... madness ...

My five year old nephew can't hear the word 'COVID' anymore without getting upset...product of his entire kindergarten class having to get tested for COVID and stay home from school every time some idiot sends their kid to school with a runny nose, which has happened multiple times now since school restarted for him. 

Not sure why some parents haven't caught on, but...:curse:

It is roughly two, three weeks since my aunt passed away due to COVID. In January I think she and my uncle were both taken into the intensive care unit (the special one for COVID patients). My uncle recovered, but not my aunt. She had a comorbidity (kidney failure) since 2019. We hoped that she'd make it through too, but that is just not the case for her.

It still feels unreal to type this down... The last time I saw her was when she visited me in Belgium in fall 2016. She (with my uncle too) were on her Euro round trip, and she decided to make a stop to visit my place before going to her next stop. I just didn't think that that would be the last time I saw her...

3 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

It is roughly two, three weeks since my aunt passed away due to COVID. In January I think she and my uncle were both taken into the intensive care unit (the special one for COVID patients). My uncle recovered, but not my aunt. She had a comorbidity (kidney failure) since 2019. We hoped that she'd make it through too, but that is just not the case for her.

It still feels unreal to type this down... The last time I saw her was when she visited me in Belgium in fall 2016. She (with my uncle too) were on her Euro round trip, and she decided to make a stop to visit my place before going to her next stop. I just didn't think that that would be the last time I saw her...

Such difficult and sad news @Figure_Frenzy.  This virus seems a little bit unreal (and always surreal) and then the reality of it knocks you off your feet.  I am so sorry for your loss and I hope your uncle is okay.

@rockstaryuzu @barbara  (...and @YuzuNekozuu too!) thank you for the condolences comments.

I have nothing else to say and this has been repeated ever so often since this started other than take care for each other (esp. each other's health) ...and don't do anything stupid related to it.

I wish for us all good health, be it physical, mental, emotional 一 just a wish for us all to be well all around...

On 4/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, Figure_Frenzy said:

I'm so so sorry for your loss. I hope all the best for your family and your uncle. 

The latest news in my province.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-government-confirms-covid-19-vaccines-being-held-back-to-guarantee-supply-1.5357475

Holy Hannah. 

COVID-19 is a raging forest fire at this point. We're in a forest fire. And the guy in charge of the fire hoses won't issue the pumps because he's worried about draining the water supply. 

That's how stupid this is. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The latest news in my province.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-government-confirms-covid-19-vaccines-being-held-back-to-guarantee-supply-1.5357475

Holy Hannah. 

COVID-19 is a raging forest fire at this point. We're in a forest fire. And the guy in charge of the fire hoses won't issue the pumps because he's worried about draining the water supply. 

That's how stupid this is. 

Holding doses to ensure an adequate supply? Why? Vaccines don't actually help unless they're in someone's arm... not doing much good sitting in a freezer.

It’s normal annual flu vaccine style thinking, not pandemic thinking.  I have a friend who works for PHE and they were lucky to have enough (persuasive) flexible thinkers who were willing to treat the pandemic as a totally new situation and problem solve from scratch rather than try and use an existing system to get as many vaccines into as many people as quickly as possible.  It’s no good sitting in a vial in the fridge for an extra week.