2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

In my country, we are not worried about the vaccine distribution at all.Since there is no vaccine to worry about distributing. Between the general ineptitude (and corruption) of our government and the limited supply, we are not expected to have any this year even though we were promised that it will be available :sigh:

I really just wanted for the elderly in our family. We already lost three people last year and I don't want to keep worrying about who is next.

4 hours ago, Neenah said:

In my country, we are not worried about the vaccine distribution at all.Since there is no vaccine to worry about distributing. Between the general ineptitude (and corruption) of our government and the limited supply, we are not expected to have any this year even though we were promised that it will be available :sigh:

I really just wanted for the elderly in our family. We already lost three people last year and I don't want to keep worrying about who is next.

That just sucks. No vaccine at all? and i'm sorry for your losses. 

6 hours ago, Neenah said:

May I ask what country?  Are there fairly strict safety protocols being enforced?  Wow- this would be so difficult to not have any idea when life can resume something like normal.  I am so sorry for your losses.

25 minutes ago, barbara said:

May I ask what country?  Are there fairly strict safety protocols being enforced?  Wow- this would be so difficult to not have any idea when life can resume something like normal.  I am so sorry for your losses.

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That just sucks. No vaccine at all? and i'm sorry for your losses. 

Thank you... My country would be Iraq.

Here, there is no safety protocols unless you implement them yourself. The government advises and the people ignore it. Only this week did they decide to put a fine on not wearing a mask, which is the bare minimum of protection. They also insist on making us go to work even though we can and are doing everything online. It is just a huge mess and it is really a miracle that none of us contracted the virus in my home. We are very careful because my parents are vulnerable and getting covid would be a disaster for them, but it is really exhausting especially since my father needs regular visits to the hospital where he may be exposed to people who are infected.

We've signed up for the vaccine when they announced that there will some but there hasn't been any information about it. We don't even know if it will be here anytime soon or if ever.  We are even willing to pay for it, just make it available.

49 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Here, there is no safety protocols unless you implement them yourself. The government advises and the people ignore it. Only this week did they decide to put a fine on not wearing a mask, which is the bare minimum of protection. They also insist on making us go to work even though we can and are doing everything online. It is just a huge mess and it is really a miracle that none of us contracted the virus in my home. We are very careful because my parents are vulnerable and getting covid would be a disaster for them, but it is really exhausting especially since my father needs regular visits to the hospital where he may be exposed to people who are infected.

We've signed up for the vaccine when they announced that there will some but there hasn't been any information about it. We don't even know if it will be here anytime soon or if ever.  We are even willing to pay for it, just make it available.

It will come.  It will become available, but there is obviously no timeline. As this is global, the vaccine manufacturers do plan on getting vaccines to ALL countries, but it will take quite some time, especially to some countries.  But there is a commitment to it.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel - though you have a very long tunnel.  Hang in there and stay as safe as you can.

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

Oh my goodness. That sounds horribly stressful. 

Better living through physics, appaerently. This is probably the most counter-intuitive finding I've ever seen published. Air purifiers aren't the help with COVID you might think they are. 

A while back I said my nursing home and my coworkers were waiting for the 2nd shot of Pfizer. We all got it at the beginning of February. It was the delay from the restructuring of the factory in Belgium that hampered our vaccine distribution. There were rumours/frustrations that it was because of being in outbreak, but that wasn't the case. It all worked out just fine after all.

My reaction to the 2nd shot was full body aches. Even my wrists. It lasted a full 24 hours, but then was gone.

My covid fatigue is from working in my nursing home in a prolonged outbreak situation. For over a month we've had a covid outbreak, but luckily the residents were only mildly ill (they all had received the first shot before falling ill, I think it helped) and all are now considered resolved. What is frustrating is that even though it's been over 2 weeks since the last case was resolved, public health has kept us in full lockdown. At first everyone was fine with the necessary protocols... but now, with hundreds of tests done, no more signs of illness... they still keep the residents confined to their rooms with no visitors except essential caregivers (family who comes in to help with feeding). Residents are really showing signs of depression/anxiety etc., and staff are now burned out... we need to come out of * outbreak * status soon.

@Neenah I feel badly complaining about my covid fatigue when you obviously have far more difficult times over there. I'm sorry to hear about your losses and hope all will eventually be ok.

1 hour ago, liv said:

A while back I said my nursing home and my coworkers were waiting for the 2nd shot of Pfizer. We all got it at the beginning of February. It was the delay from the restructuring of the factory in Belgium that hampered our vaccine distribution. There were rumours/frustrations that it was because of being in outbreak, but that wasn't the case. It all worked out just fine after all.

My reaction to the 2nd shot was full body aches. Even my wrists. It lasted a full 24 hours, but then was gone.

My covid fatigue is from working in my nursing home in a prolonged outbreak situation. For over a month we've had a covid outbreak, but luckily the residents were only mildly ill (they all had received the first shot before falling ill, I think it helped) and all are now considered resolved. What is frustrating is that even though it's been over 2 weeks since the last case was resolved, public health has kept us in full lockdown. At first everyone was fine with the necessary protocols... but now, with hundreds of tests done, no more signs of illness... they still keep the residents confined to their rooms with no visitors except essential caregivers (family who comes in to help with feeding). Residents are really showing signs of depression/anxiety etc., and staff are now burned out... we need to come out of * outbreak * status soon.

@Neenah I feel badly complaining about my covid fatigue when you obviously have far more difficult times over there. I'm sorry to hear about your losses and hope all will eventually be ok.

No need to feel bad, we are all frustrated and tired with this situation. I am sorry I complained here, I was feeling a bit lonely and tired and needed to let it out somewhere. 

I am really happy that you managed to get the vaccine and everything is alright. I hope the other issues are solved as well and you get back to normal as quickly as possible. These kind of news gives me hope for an end to this nightmare even if it is happening at the other side of the world.

15 minutes ago, Neenah said:

No need to feel bad, we are all frustrated and tired with this situation. I am sorry I complained here, I was feeling a bit lonely and tired and needed to let it out somewhere. 

I am really happy that you managed to get the vaccine and everything is alright. I hope the other issues are solved as well and you get back to normal as quickly as possible. These kind of news gives me hope for an end to this nightmare even if it is happening at the other side of the world.

No apology needed.  Of course you are frustrated and tired.  Everyone is and most of us know that there are vaccines in the country if not immediately available.  I can't begin to imagine how difficult this time is for you and how endless this tunnel.

On 2/22/2021 at 8:30 AM, Neenah said:

@Neenah I hope the situation will improve but I know this has been such a long time coming!  I used to work on Iraq health projects from 2004-2011 for an international aid organization, and am very sad to see lack of progress in improving the healthcare system.  But glad to know that Yuzu's kindness has reached you and I hope he will bring you some hope and comfort.  Would be nice if UNICEF will invite him to be a UNICEF Ambassador - he loves children and would be a great role model for the world.  Please take care and stay safe!  We are thinking of you! 

9 hours ago, Umebachi said:

@Neenah I hope the situation will improve but I know this has been such a long time coming!  I used to work on Iraq health projects from 2004-2011 for an international aid organization, and am very sad to see lack of progress in improving the healthcare system.  But glad to know that Yuzu's kindness has reached you and I hope he will bring you some hope and comfort.  Would be nice if UNICEF will invite him to be a UNICEF Ambassador - he loves children and would be a great role model for the world.  Please take care and stay safe!  We are thinking of you! 

Thank you for your kind words and for the work you have done for us, we really appreciate it.

Following Yuzu has been my emotional therapy for few years now. Even my family knows that my mood gets better when Yuzu wins and they console me when he losses. I really miss him competing this year.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:29 PM, Neenah said:

I'm so so sorry to hear that. Please stay safe and positive. We're here for you. Everything will be back to normal.

Well, I got my second dose of Moderna on Friday afternoon and am posting on the experience.  Ouch.

Felt fine but started getting very tired after about 6 hours. Exhausted - went to bed early but couldn't sleep because my headache kept getting worse (I had taken two tylenol). I'm talking about a brain-exploding headache. Just vicious.
    Woke up from a couple of hours of sleep and took two more tylenol because by morning I had a very high fever and felt like I'd been hit by a truck.  I felt everything predicted - though no sore throat and no cough.  Principally the headaches, major muscle aches and joint pain.  And tired.
    It was weird to feel so sick when I know I wasn't really sick.  Just took tylenol when I could and napped off and on on the couch.  The dogs were not impressed.
    Feeling better today but still very achy and joint pain and tired, but SO much better than yesterday.
    Of the people I know who have had the second dose, most have had a similar reaction, though I had a higher fever.  I know someone who had her shot the day before I did, felt great and took aleve.  I have read, and this was confirmed by the people at the vaccination center that one should NOT take any anti inflammatories because the interaction with the vaccine has not been studied and it may impact the efficacy.
     I don't take anti-inflammatories anyway because they make me bruise and bleed more, but I wonder if this friend kind of negated her second dose, or at least lessened its efficacy.
    So, I would definitely recommend only tylenol to help with the fever.  Nothing seems to work on the achy feeling, but it's short lived (I hope, since I still feel like I'm recovering from being rolled by a truck.).
May we all be vaccinated soon!

@liv I'm glad to hear that you all got your second dose. I hope your nursing home will be out of lockdown soon, isolation is very difficult on older people so I'm all your residents are feeling it. 

Especially in light of hearing what @Neenah and others are going through, I don't want to complain further, but I  have now discovered that politics internal to my organization are contributing heavily to delay in getting my department vaccinated,  and that is a very tough pill to swallow indeed...:(