2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

8 hours ago, yude said:

Plus, they are sleeping in the Diet. I am speechless with disappointment. :madwife:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geog_RqSQ20

Sadly, this is nothing new.   They have to work so hard and late into the evening, even during Covid pandemic. PM Suga, Olympic Minister Hashimoto (yes, the same one who used to head the JSF, was caught very tipsy coming out of a michelin star sushi restaurant), and other senior LDP members have been caught dining with more than 5 persons at expensive restaurants.  Apparently, elite political leaders are exempt from the restrictions posed on the plebs.

Spoiler

For decades, Diet members have been sleeping on the job.  Too much fine dining and drinking the night before - which is apparently "essential work" for all these politicians.  It's the only way they are able to maintain the "nemawashi" - keeping connected with the power centres and promoting their own political career.  All men - always men.   Fine dining followed by second round in a hostess bar, or for more wealthy senior members, geisha places, then onto more serious places beyond.  The culture hasn't changed in 100 years.  Because the younger men (and they are all men) learn from their esteemed seniors.  

I am slowly recovering from COVID now (fell ill at the beginning of January), I got away with nearly no complications. The smells are completely off the hook - I feel them, but for instance cigarette smoke smells of stewed cabbage along with cigarettes. Some smells are still not there. 

25 minutes ago, Fay said:

I am slowly recovering from COVID now (fell ill at the beginning of January), I got away with nearly no complications. The smells are completely off the hook - I feel them, but for instance cigarette smoke smells of stewed cabbage along with cigarettes. Some smells are still not there. 

Oh no! @FayI'm happy to hear that you're recovering, but I"m sorry you got it in the first place! I'm glad you didn't have severe symptoms... but, wow, smelling different things when you know what things should smell like must be very odd.

It must have been scary at first to get the diagnosis... my friend said when she saw the results online she panicked! She was actually pretty sick too.

2 minutes ago, liv said:

Oh no! @FayI'm happy to hear that you're recovering, but I"m sorry you got it in the first place! I'm glad you didn't have severe symptoms... but, wow, smelling different things when you know what things should smell like must be very odd.

It must have been scary at first to get the diagnosis... my friend said when she saw the results online she panicked! She was actually pretty sick too.

I knew I had it before I was diagnosed. Contracted it from my sister-in-law, she got her results before I fell ill, so I knew I was next in the line. 
I was sorta resigned by then. Just hoped I’d have no lung lesion - didn’t work, but at least it wasn’t a complicated and acute case. A friend of mine is in hospital with over 50 percent of his lungs affected. 
Russia doesn’t even pretend things are under control. So nearly everyone I know got it, unless they’re barricaded themselves in an impregnable fortress of sorts. Pretty hard to do that in Moscow, even when you work from home mostly. 

Russia, Russia, Russia....

Sorry to hear about your friend, I hope he gets better. And hope you get rid of your illness quickly and recover fully as soon as possible.

I guess in the situation there it's just best to hope that if people get it then they get mild cases without too many issues in their lungs and hearts later on... that's what I'm afraid of, potential heart problems later on. My coworker got it in the spring and was hospitalized for a week and now she's having heart issues... and she's under 50.

I"m scheduled for my second Pfizer shot on Tuesday. However, my nursing home just had a staff member test positive so we are considered in outbreak. In this situation they may not administer the 2nd shots to staff members at our facility.... which is ridiculous. If we are testing negative, we should be able to get the shot because it's even more important that we do so. Maybe this person will be a false positive like the 3 previous cases we had... and hopefully this person was vigilant all day with their PPE because they now have to test all residents again to see if they have it. Tense times until we get those test results back. I'm glad I don't' work again until Monday.

7 hours ago, liv said:

Russia, Russia, Russia....

Sorry to hear about your friend, I hope he gets better. And hope you get rid of your illness quickly and recover fully as soon as possible.

I guess in the situation there it's just best to hope that if people get it then they get mild cases without too many issues in their lungs and hearts later on... that's what I'm afraid of, potential heart problems later on. My coworker got it in the spring and was hospitalized for a week and now she's having heart issues... and she's under 50.

I"m scheduled for my second Pfizer shot on Tuesday. However, my nursing home just had a staff member test positive so we are considered in outbreak. In this situation they may not administer the 2nd shots to staff members at our facility.... which is ridiculous. If we are testing negative, we should be able to get the shot because it's even more important that we do so. Maybe this person will be a false positive like the 3 previous cases we had... and hopefully this person was vigilant all day with their PPE because they now have to test all residents again to see if they have it. Tense times until we get those test results back. I'm glad I don't' work again until Monday.

I hope you will be able get the booster shot soon and the test results all come back negative!  Why would they not vaccinate when there is an outbreak??!  So much confusion about dealing with outbreaks, even in Canada!  

8 hours ago, Fay said:

Dear Fay - Wishing you a speedy and robust recovery!  (Are you taking your Vitamin D?)    

13 hours ago, Fay said:

Glad to see that you've mainly recovered. COVID has so many bizarre side effects. I hope you get back to full health as quickly as possible.

@liv it seems so weird that they would hold back the second dose just because there's an outbreak. But nothing about the vaccination program in Ontario is making sense to me anymore. My cancer clinic has been pushed back in priority  while, so I hear, UHN was able to vaccinate all kinds of non-front line staff...and now we have to wait because of the production slowdown at Pfizer. I have all kinds of questions and feel like I'm on an emotional rollercoaster now. Sure hope things get organized soon. 

I can let everyone know that I used a backdoor plan to get my first dose of vaccine.  I am legitimately in the sub-group that's prioritized but couldn't get an appointment (was told it might take up to a week to check my eligibility). So I went down to one of the county sites at about 4 this afternoon, thinking the weather alone would have kept people away and that there might be extra doses. (It is FREEZING for us -like 40 and expecting snow.)

The first person I asked  (and there were multiple lines) if there might be extra doses, he said no and put me in one line that eventually brought me up to a table where I was given a new mask and sent to the back of a different, very long, winding line.  It looked like refugees from a plague apocalypse - a very motley, mixed group, many who likely were not yet eligible. Arizona is a hot spot for infection and low on vaccine.

Persevered. Hanging around outside for an hour and a half but ! eventually got in and, I guess because I had already registered inline, they had my info at the check-in area.  Then another short (inside the building) line. And, jab. I got the Moderna so will need a second dose in 28 days.  I feel a lot of relief.  I'm not really sure why.

Oh, I slipped into the educator category as "Designated Campus Colleague" (one of my volunteer gigs as a docent at the Tree Ring Lab).   I like the title.  (And, yes, @river, it was a classic ninja move. Ninja skills have many uses.)

My arm is a little sore, but not as bad as a shingles shot...

11 hours ago, barbara said:

I can let everyone know that I used a backdoor plan to get my first dose of vaccine.  I am legitimately in the sub-group that's prioritized but couldn't get an appointment (was told it might take up to a week to check my eligibility). So I went down to one of the county sites at about 4 this afternoon, thinking the weather alone would have kept people away and that there might be extra doses. (It is FREEZING for us -like 40 and expecting snow.)

The first person I asked  (and there were multiple lines) if there might be extra doses, he said no and put me in one line that eventually brought me up to a table where I was given a new mask and sent to the back of a different, very long, winding line.  It looked like refugees from a plague apocalypse - a very motley, mixed group, many who likely were not yet eligible. Arizona is a hot spot for infection and low on vaccine.

Persevered. Hanging around outside for an hour and a half but ! eventually got in and, I guess because I had already registered inline, they had my info at the check-in area.  Then another short (inside the building) line. And, jab. I got the Moderna so will need a second dose in 28 days.  I feel a lot of relief.  I'm not really sure why.

Oh, I slipped into the educator category as "Designated Campus Colleague" (one of my volunteer gigs as a docent at the Tree Ring Lab).   I like the title.  (And, yes, @river, it was a classic ninja move. Ninja skills have many uses.)

My arm is a little sore, but not as bad as a shingles shot...

Glad to hear you got your vaccine! Your ninja skills are proving useful yet again. :ninja:

Unfortunately, my nursing home has now declared a full outbreak. We have a handful of cases, although most are well and so far only 1 hospitalization...We all are in full PPE, residents are confined to their rooms, and the worst part for the staff: they suspended the vaccination program for us during this outbreak, except for the first scheduled block of vaccinations given to management. I"m only slightly bitter that while frontline staff aren't able to receive their 2nd shots, we can all rest assured that the front office secretary and financial services managers (among others), will be fully protected. Whew! Since I never see them on the floor I have no idea who they actually are.... grrrrr. If only this had happened a couple of weeks from now... all staff would have received their 2nd shots and the residents would have as well... blasted bad timing. :(

8 hours ago, liv said:

Unfortunately, my nursing home has now declared a full outbreak. We have a handful of cases, although most are well and so far only 1 hospitalization...We all are in full PPE, residents are confined to their rooms, and the worst part for the staff: they suspended the vaccination program for us during this outbreak, except for the first scheduled block of vaccinations given to management. I"m only slightly bitter that while frontline staff aren't able to receive their 2nd shots, we can all rest assured that the front office secretary and financial services managers (among others), will be fully protected. Whew! Since I never see them on the floor I have no idea who they actually are.... grrrrr. If only this had happened a couple of weeks from now... all staff would have received their 2nd shots and the residents would have as well... blasted bad timing. :(

Utterly bizarre that management is getting their vaccines while they’ve been put on hold for frontline staff, but also completely unsurprising. How infuriating. :anger: