2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

7 hours ago, barbara said:

There's a risk in going out of the house.  We can take the teeny tiny risk of getting a vaccine, especially if it means we can return to something like normal life.  Astra-Zeneca has now come forward with their vaccine and while they say 70% effective, that is with one method of immunization.  A separate way (I think with a 1/2 dose and then a full dose weeks later) brings the efficacy rate up to over 90%.  More are rolling out! And it is generally accepted that if 70% of a population has immunity to a virus, either through contracting it or being vaccinated against it, we can call that "herd immunity".

I just hope there isn't a rash of companies jumping the gun and announcing vaccines too soon, out of fear they'll be left behind

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I just hope there isn't a rash of companies jumping the gun and announcing vaccines too soon, out of fear they'll be left behind

Good hope (you are my hope, i am your hope...) but I believe the rapid development isn't as rapid as it seems. Bill Gates and his foundation have poured billions into medical research. Philanthropy - not a profit motive.  He, and so many other researchers did have a vaccine primed for this.  They knew a pandemic was coming; they just didn't know the form of the viral protein.  So it's not like they were starting from scratch.  I imagine the Russian vaccine cannot be trusted, though.  Astra-Zeneca's will be the most globally useful because it doesn't require insanely low temps to keep it stable.  And it's inexpensive.  I don't think we'll actually see any of the vaccines in use, even for front line workers, for at least a month.  By the time there is wide availability, we'll feel more secure about their efficacy.  Faith in science.

4 часа назад, barbara сказал:

I imagine the Russian vaccine cannot be trusted, though. 

I am for sure not trusting it blindly, but it's already in use for some medical stuff, who want to try it. They also said that development is based on old research. And there's at least two companies, one that rushed to register first, second is taking it more slowly. I think it's lack of open information about all this stuff and too much TV propaganda that leaves you trusting no one in the end.

2 hours ago, Lunna said:

I think it's lack of open information about all this stuff and too much TV propaganda that leaves you trusting no one in the end.

Just speaking for myself, I want to see the stats on any vaccine released, such as: how many people they tried it on, what kinds of people (i.e. young and fit vs old or with high risk factors for COVID), how they determined that the vaccination was successful, what portion of the test subjects had side effects, what kind of side effects, etc. 

Like, if they would just straight up publish all that in one big Excel sheet so I can calculate my own odds, that'd be reassuring. 

Don't get me wrong. It's not like I don't believe in science. It's that I do work in science, have a pretty good idea how the sausage gets made, if you will, and therefore I am cautious of every claim. 

I think it will be a little while before all the data is released to the public.  Figure that there really is only a small proportion of people would even be able to understand what they're reading.  I would like to know about what sort of reactions are common with each vaccine before I choose which one to try and get (if I have a choice.) I read that Pfizer is suppose to have no side effects but that the Moderna vaccine does make you feel a little ill, but not horribly.  In a way, that almost sounds preferred since it indicates an actual immune response.  Since there will likely be dozens of vaccines in time, we should have choices down the line, especially when it comes time to get a seasonal booster.

• 2 weeks later...

...I can't believe how fast things are moving, now that there's a vaccine. Health Canada approved the Pfizer vaccine for use in Canada yesterday and today I come into to work to find out we're (the hospital I work for) going to be one of the distribution centers for the vaccine starting next week. 

Long term care gets first priority which is as it should be but wow. Last week I didn't know when all this would end and now I still don't know when all this will end but there's finally a light at the end of the tunnel...:nod2:

8 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

...I can't believe how fast things are moving, now that there's a vaccine. Health Canada approved the Pfizer vaccine for use in Canada yesterday and today I come into to work to find out we're (the hospital I work for) going to be one of the distribution centers for the vaccine starting next week. 

Long term care gets first priority which is as it should be but wow. Last week I didn't know when all this would end and now I still don't know when all this will end but there's finally a light at the end of the tunnel...:nod2:

Life goes on.  We knew there would be an end to this tunnel, or had to hold on to that thought to get through this year.  Still don't know where the end of the tunnel is, but at least it's in sight.

Things are moving fast now. Since I work in Long Term Care and offer direct patient care, I"m probably going to be getting the vaccine sooner rather than later. I"m not in Toronto or Ottawa so it won't be right away, though. It's funny, people were talking about the vaccine as being something for the near future, like January (which is psychologically, still NEXT YEAR), but then to see it being distributed within DAYS... that's too soon. It has made people nervous because there are no studies showing FUTURE complications, and that is what they're most worried about. Many of my coworkers have a hard time understanding science and the science behind these vaccines and repeat things they have read on social media (including one who heard that Moderna has put microchips into their vaccine that will track everything you do, lol!!).

My other worry is that while people now see an end, it will make them less cautious in these all important winter months. They say the general population probably won't have the vaccine made available until spring time, and that leaves a lot of time for people to become infected if they let their guard down. We really can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but there are many twists and bridges etc., to be passed before we get to the end...

@liv Indeed. I personally am not keen on being the very very first in line for the vaccine. I don't know how much a of choice I'm going to have though. 

I kind of don't like that they're rushing it in before Christmas. Psychologically, what that's going to do is make a whole bunch of the grudging compliers, the ones who are only going along with public health measures because they must, gleefully cast off their masks and their distancing over the Christmas holidays 'because we have a vaccine now'. 

It ain't over 'til it's over. But at least now we know that it actually is going to be over at some point. 

34 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@liv Indeed. I personally am not keen on being the very very first in line for the vaccine. I don't know how much a of choice I'm going to have though. 

I kind of don't like that they're rushing it in before Christmas. Psychologically, what that's going to do is make a whole bunch of the grudging compliers, the ones who are only going along with public health measures because they must, gleefully cast off their masks and their distancing over the Christmas holidays 'because we have a vaccine now'. 

It ain't over 'til it's over. But at least now we know that it actually is going to be over at some point. 

The first of two shots will be available to you lucky few before Christmas, but not the second booster.  And, I think, that it takes a little while to actually have immunity.  But I think that there will be people, way too many people, who will see this as a "go" signal.  Not me.  It's just insane that over 3000 human beings died yesterday in the US.  Hospitals are full. 2-3K people are expected to die every day for the next two months, at least.  It's really scary here.  But I am so relieved that vaccines on the horizon.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, river said:

Guess who's getting their first dose of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine today? So grateful for all of the hard work so many scientists have put in to making this happen. :clapclap4:

If anyone's interested, I can keep you all posted on side effects.

Excellent news!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

One step forward, two steps back here...

Somehow the administering of the vaccine in Ontario slowed down over Christmas due to 'lack of staff'...guess everyone had it booked off before they knew the vaccine was going to be inhouse at this time.

And Ottawa's numbers have doubled all of a sudden. They're saying this is the start of the expected spike from Christmas activities...great. I have to say, I went shopping to Chapters the Tuesday before Christmas and the place was packed. Likewise most other places...and this after the premier announced the lockdown that started on Boxing Day...so I'm guessing that we'll have high numbers for the next week and a half thanks to the resultant shopping frenzy...

And the hospital I work for still hasn't set a clear schedule for vaccinating the rest of us who aren't ER or LTC staff. Latest word from them is very vague. 

At least they're vaccinating residents of old age and LTC homes starting today. That's badly needed.