2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Scary how many the US has lost. 

And STILL no federal response. No national testing program.  No ramp up of PPE (currently running low).  And haphazard availability of any sort of testing (no tracing). Arizona has doubled it's cases in the last week. "Cumulative deaths expected by January 1 are 410,000."  I cannot believe just how idiotic and dangerous this president it.  (He gave himself an A+!!!)  Help!

6 hours ago, barbara said:

And STILL no federal response. No national testing program.  No ramp up of PPE (currently running low).  And haphazard availability of any sort of testing (no tracing). Arizona has doubled it's cases in the last week. "Cumulative deaths expected by January 1 are 410,000."  I cannot believe just how idiotic and dangerous this president it.  (He gave himself an A+!!!)  Help!

5 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

:jaw:

And that's acceptable to him somehow...I'm thinking all sorts of unprintable things right now. 

Incredible .. Talking abt ppl like they are only numbers ... Christ ... this is scary ...

Lockdown is something of a joke.  Am taxiing a family member who has had a knee op around atm- passed a student pub I remember well from my own student days - courtyard jam packed without a mask in sight - and this is supposed to be safer than meeting a friend in her garden for coffee?:smiley-whacky115:

16 hours ago, barbara said:

It sounds pretty pricey to get a test at a private clinic in other countries, but if the tests are accurate and you get results quickly, it would be worth it - especially if it would make travel possible.  If I could get a test here (and I can't), I wouldn't have to pay anything.  My insurance would cover it.  I guess that is the only positive about being in the US.  Of course, it doesn't matter if you can't get one.

I was wrong because the news are quite fresh - so the testing is free here if doctors order someone to get tested in case one have symptoms etc. but if someone wants to get tested in a private clinic, then it's 54€ which is fixed price. It's because many private clinics asked 2x or even triple the original prices of the tests in the the past weeks, so the government wanted to stop it. Those who travel abroad and come back also need to pay for the tests from their own pockets.

I am sorry to hear that it so hard to get a test in the US. :( Not good.

9 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Incredible .. Talking abt ppl like they are only numbers ... Christ ... this is scary ...

He is a narcissistic sociopath,  unable to feel empathy.  He simply doesn't care about anyone but himself.  I try very hard to not wish bad things to happen to anyone, but I truly do wish he'd catch this virus.  And soon.

14 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

:jaw:

And that's acceptable to him somehow...I'm thinking all sorts of unprintable things right now. 

Best emoji ever for this....

On 9/23/2020 at 5:58 PM, barbara said:

I try very hard to not wish bad things to happen to anyone, but I truly do wish he'd catch this virus.  And soon.

...remember that time when one of his advisors was tested positive for the virus yet somehow so far (and after several definitely unsafe mass gatherings) he hadn't caught it??? :facepalm::sick:

...nvm catching the virus he definitely needs to be deflated (...and that's all my word on that negligent head of state right now! :sick:)

Anyway hang in there, cooperate with each other as best as you can (and I say this to everyone all over the world, we all need to cooperate for this...)

so this is an interesting and surprising good news story that no one seems to be talking about:

from the Washington Post

Just in case it's paywalled: Washington Post is giving a summary of sub-Saharan Africa's experience with COVID so far. Not unreasonably, common wisdom expected COVID to be a devastating disaster in Africa - but that hasn't happened, mainly because the governments of many countries had enough sense to recognize the danger early and take precautions as they needed.

IMO, hubris is turning out to be a huge risk factor for COVID deaths,  whilst having the humility to accept how much of a threat this is, is apparently an effective deterrent. I find this rather ironic. :sigh:

38 minutes ago, barbara said:

That is a surprise, really, that some of those countries had the resources to even get the information out.  On the other hand, we, in the states, are about to spend tax money that should be going into research on trump support ads. Don't despair!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/25/trump-hhs-ads-coronavirus-421957

Yes, at the beginning I had so many fears for them, with so few hospital beds ( remember, back in late February, a Senegalese MD alerting on their having only 100 beds to care for serous cases of coronavirus), but they chose to trust Asian research and observations and didn't let themselves fool by all the counter-productive controversies and policies most European and North American countries had.

Grrrr... and now the numbers are starting to rise again in so many places... which we all expected, of course....

Ontario alone today reached 700 new cases, mostly around Toronto... I know, it's mainly young people for now, and the newer cases don't seem to be as bad (with lower virus load from wearing masks among the theories for why this is so), which is a good thing... but aside from the obvious *health is no.1 priority* statement, and purely from an *I miss figure skating and esp. Yuzu* perspective, it seems it will take forever for any skaters to return to Canada for training... and how/when do people train for 2022, if that's even held?

...how surreal, everything that is going on these days...  and how interesting to read that during the Spanish flu pandemic of 100 years ago, the exact same things were occurring, wrt people's behaviour... people wearing masks, closures, isolation.. and people refusing masks and the protests against the lockdowns, just like now... history truly does repeat itself, and we don't always learn... or care to learn.

6 hours ago, liv said:

Grrrr... and now the numbers are starting to rise again in so many places... which we all expected, of course....

Ontario alone today reached 700 new cases, mostly around Toronto... I know, it's mainly young people for now, and the newer cases don't seem to be as bad (with lower virus load from wearing masks among the theories for why this is so), which is a good thing... but aside from the obvious *health is no.1 priority* statement, and purely from an *I miss figure skating and esp. Yuzu* perspective, it seems it will take forever for any skaters to return to Canada for training... and how/when do people train for 2022, if that's even held?

...how surreal, everything that is going on these days...  and how interesting to read that during the Spanish flu pandemic of 100 years ago, the exact same things were occurring, wrt people's behaviour... people wearing masks, closures, isolation.. and people refusing masks and the protests against the lockdowns, just like now... history truly does repeat itself, and we don't always learn... or care to learn.

Tucson alone had 1000 cases in one week at the University.  Insanity.  I MUST look forward to something so I'm counting on skating to be back by next fall.  Maybe not, but I'll look forward to it anyway.  In the meantime, be happy you are in Canada where, at least, most people are taking this seriously and not in the states where people think being asked to wear a mask is an affront to their civil liberties (or, as our attorney general said - second only to slavery - evidently he has forgotten about the internment camps in WW II - not to mention slavery can't really be compared to anything.)

If everyone would just wear a mask for a few weeks, we could beat this.  I really don't understand any arguments against that.

11 hours ago, liv said:

This is, unfortunately, true... and sad. 

I am sooooo bored.  I have no interest in going shopping or for lunch or coffee in a cafe with all the dubious social distancing, etc, am not allowed to go to a friends house or have one here, I have done as much housework as I can stand and so much gardening the bins are full.  I put the 2017 WC men’s free skate on while I was doing the ironing and have carried on watching after I finished.  The kittens have joined me - FC is sleeping but VvD is riveted to Michal Brezinas performance atm.  Good training for them if we ever get live skating back .