2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

If you read through the statement the province put out today, basically none of the new loosened restrictions are unconditional. For example, houses of worship can only operate at 30% capacity and must ensure other safety requirements are met as well, such as physical distancing. Likewise with the hair salons. The restaurants are only allowed to offer outdoor seating. and so on.

I forgot to check if eye doctors are allowed to open up again. I certainly hope so. I'm overdue for an eye exam and need new glasses badly.

Of all the callous and stupid things that people have said that I've heard on the news or read in written media, the ageism hurts me and bothers me the most. It's like no one wants to believe anyone over 75 has a worthwhile life or anything to offer, and therefore they don't have any right to a healthy and dignified long life. It makes me so angry.

6 часов назад, liv сказал:

It bothers me when people get angry over the measures govts have taken to prevent spread... there are far worse things to happen in life than being told to stay home and remain distant. People must always remember that things can always be worse and things will always eventually get better. 

I think most get angry if government's measures are not logical, like here when a lot of people already went to a work, but you weren't allowed to go to the park (so most just took a walk in the neighborhood anyway). Now things are reopening fast, I think mostly for the economic reasons. It's really hard to keep balance when a lot of people lost jobs, some went into depression, as a result we can have much more other health problems after lockdown.

22 hours ago, liv said:

It's true. With the nicer weather people and lower numbers, people are behaving as if everything is fine. And, the attitude that only the old people with major health issues die, doesn't help. My boss, an educated person, works in other nursing home facilities where they've had deaths and she says that she knew the people who died and they were already really sick. She said they were close to dying anyway and they were the only ones who did end up dying.  She says, *how do you know if they died from that or the other condition they had? Many others tested positive and had no symptoms.* So, as a result she thinks it was all a big over reaction. I keep saying, well, you don't know, there are cases where they were young and totally healthy and they still got very sick or died... and she counters with, *I"m sure they had some issues they didn't know about, or maybe they were obese, and maybe they were the only case like that in the area. * I"m looking at everything from the side of caution, whereas she believes she is right and public health knows nothing since they keep changing their opinions about things... and I keep saying, *well, it's all new to them too, everything changes as you learn more about it." After all, hindsight is 20/20.

Anyway, all of us workers get to be tested 2x in the next 4 weeks. Ongoing program to deal with the crisis that is the long term care home situation... and we still have no cases in either staff or residents... my poor nose is working up the courage to get in line right away tomorrow instead of putting it off until the end of the week...

Ontario government announced today that things will be opening even more as of this Friday. Shopping malls, restaurants, hair dressers, pools, museums and libraries... all with distancing and precautions in effect... but not in the Toronto or Hamilton areas since they are still showing some cases. The fear is that those people in Toronto will then get in their cars and go drive to London or somewhere in  order to get their hair cut/coloured... and now people can come into Canada if they have immediate family here, or are permanent residents etc..

We will see if the protesting and new easing of restrictions results in an uptick in the number of cases....

many are saying the same here but when a  town like Bergamo(around 120.000 people according to wiki)used to have a page/a page an half of obituary on their local newspaper and all of a sudden there are over 10 one starts to wonder.I have Friends working in 2 of the biggest hospital on Milan,people with 30 years of experience in ER and ICU telling me they really didn't know what to do....when a town like Madrid doesn't have enough space for bodies that they need to open the icerink to keep those coffins,i'm sorry but it's scary.

21 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Oh the chlorine will kill the virus all right...just not instantly. I lifeguarded for years and I have a pretty good idea just how much saliva, exhalations, mucus etc can get into a pool from basic normal use...if you come in contact with that before the chlorine has had a chance to do it's thing, you can pick up any contagion that might be there. 

big no for me too,I used to work with pool maintenance ,I saw those labs test on the water,no way LOL

19 minutes ago, mercedes said:

big no for me too,I used to work with pool maintenance ,I saw those labs test on the water,no way LOL

Oh God, I can just imagine. I'm having flashbacks just thinking about it. :runaway:

Just had my 2nd covid test. It wasn't nearly as bad as the first, probably because I knew what to expect. I will become an expert at having them done... we have to have them done every 2 weeks now until the outbreak is declared over.... and gosh, that could really be a long time. I suspect nursing homes will be among the last things they will open to the public, so they will test us repeatedly to the very, very end.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:43 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

If you read through the statement the province put out today, basically none of the new loosened restrictions are unconditional. For example, houses of worship can only operate at 30% capacity and must ensure other safety requirements are met as well, such as physical distancing. Likewise with the hair salons. The restaurants are only allowed to offer outdoor seating. and so on.

I forgot to check if eye doctors are allowed to open up again. I certainly hope so. I'm overdue for an eye exam and need new glasses badly.

Of all the callous and stupid things that people have said that I've heard on the news or read in written media, the ageism hurts me and bothers me the most. It's like no one wants to believe anyone over 75 has a worthwhile life or anything to offer, and therefore they don't have any right to a healthy and dignified long life. It makes me so angry.

Agree about ageism.  Youngsters... I have news for you.  You too will get old and surprise surprise will feel no different than you do today. 

Okay, speaking from one of the really really really lucky countries... my state, New South Wales, has announced that most domestic restrictions will be tentatively removed 1 July (there were a cluster of 9 new cases in Victoria yesterday, so they won't follow suit... yet)  I saw masks and massive stocks of hand sanitiser for sale at the pharmacy, no limits, but we have yet to use up what we had before it all started. And people are starting to move back towards work... from work.

My country didn't do everything right, sure (the cruise ship debacle is still under investigation) and the economic price will hurt for years (my timing was spectacular, I just transitioned to retirement from my university job, and universities are all announcing job and pay cuts because the international student loss is going to really bite). 

But I can't help wondering what it was that have countries like ours the edge for infections and deaths, after seeing that four countries had more new cases in one day - yesterday - than we have had in total. One thing, for sure, is population size and density, another that very large, very wet border we have, and yes, another was that although we did have the idiot fringe ignoring regulations, the huge bulk of the population accepted the need to let the various governments tell us what to do for a while.

9 hours ago, TallyT said:

Okay, speaking from one of the really really really lucky countries... my state, New South Wales, has announced that most domestic restrictions will be tentatively removed 1 July (there were a cluster of 9 new cases in Victoria yesterday, so they won't follow suit... yet)  I saw masks and massive stocks of hand sanitiser for sale at the pharmacy, no limits, but we have yet to use up what we had before it all started. And people are starting to move back towards work... from work.

My country didn't do everything right, sure (the cruise ship debacle is still under investigation) and the economic price will hurt for years (my timing was spectacular, I just transitioned to retirement from my university job, and universities are all announcing job and pay cuts because the international student loss is going to really bite). 

But I can't help wondering what it was that have countries like ours the edge for infections and deaths, after seeing that four countries had more new cases in one day - yesterday - than we have had in total. One thing, for sure, is population size and density, another that very large, very wet border we have, and yes, another was that although we did have the idiot fringe ignoring regulations, the huge bulk of the population accepted the need to let the various governments tell us what to do for a while.

Also, if I recall correctly, Australia closed its borders to international arrivals quite, quite early, did it not?

7 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Also, if I recall correctly, Australia closed its borders to international arrivals quite, quite early, did it not?

They closed the international borders early, and the state ones not long after that (the katter may come down soon, but a couple of premiers are still uncertain). Really, had it not been for a cruise ship bungle (they let the passengers off without checks... and guess what turned up in some of them?) our numbers would be even lower.

1 hour ago, Paskud said:

wow

meanwhile ISU in 1-2 weeks: :7562096:GP assignments:7562096:

Yes but GP season will be later. There is little surprise in the cancellation of summer GP, though Japan GP was scheduled for October 11th.

Azerbaijan GP was supposed to be on June 7th, we can clearly see such an opening of borders would be too early now.

And Singapore's was for September 20th, with all the practical difficulties of a GP in such a crowded country, I don't see how they could have maintained it, and rescheduling may be unrealistic too, in such a busy place.

В 12.06.2020 в 13:16, Paskud сказал:

wow

meanwhile ISU in 1-2 weeks: :7562096:GP assignments:7562096:

But European season will start in July already without audience. Even British GP is agreed to be held without 14-days quarantine for the teams (of course there's protocol with tests etc.)

Now there're negotiations for Autumn. I think Russian GP in late September will be confirmed too.