2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

I'm afraid with the state of economy in the world after the pandemic far less people will be able to travel to competitions considering all the expenses. I have a hotel room booked in Stockholm for the 2021 WC, but I'm not sure now I will be able to go. And I believe I'm not the only one in such a situation. ISU (and actually all organisers of sports competitions) will have to seriously consider the size of arenas and price of tickets next season.

1 час назад, Sayu93 сказал:

Already? 

Japan had the first cases around the same time as Germany iirc. 

Problem is that it is escalating. 

A friend said that life in Japan is mostly the same, yes, shows, competitions etc. are cancelled, some tourist places closed, but people still go to work as usual, restaurants are working etc. (as i understand government just can't tell them to close)

1 час назад, Figure_Frenzy сказал:

Assuming that the places where the GPs are organised have been cleared of the pandemic (and the skaters are exempt from travel bans), I think the only viable option is to hold it without audience — so broadcast/livestream only (which I think will make the livestream we had last season no longer available for free (because let's be real, figure skating as it is now cannot attract sponsors loaded up enough that they can at least break even financially, and there are only so many cashed up aunties to take revenues in from)). 

It is the audience that is more the factor to me right now. I mean, sure, the competitors (skaters and their team) and the organizers have to be mindful of not spreading the virus but I feel like it's easier for them to keep their distance from each other than for the audience.

A new financial model is definitely needed for organizing the GP (if GPs can be safely organized to begin with), I am just not sure with how it would look like...

At first we must see when skaters will be able to resume training, second when boarders will be open (maybe they can open for business/competition travel at first, but I'm not sure it will be enough to full air planes).

GP is commercial series, so also not sure that organizers will be willing to hold it without any profit from audiences, given how sponsors will be in trouble now.

But really it's too early to say smth., must wait till summer at least (I'm still hoping for the best, if not GP series, then at least Nats/Euros/4CC/Worlds and maybe some challengers can be held late Autumn)

I have not heard about any contamination at Seoul 4CC? Because the organisers would have good prophylactic procedures, and skaters, coaches, press, staff and attendees had rules to follow. Such rules, one can hardly expect an European football hooligan to abide by them, but proof have been made that figure skating fans can. On the other hand, Skate Canada have shown, with the Worlds tragi-comedy, that even a strong, respected federation could be completely unable to set reasonable rules and procedures to avoid contamination.

I am only speaking logic, not PR acceptability (how to explain politely the difference in behaviour between average attendees depending on the sports?), even less transport-related questions (both safety, and availability).

On 4/15/2020 at 7:37 PM, river said:

I’ve wondered for a while how we could have sports back by fall. I didn’t want to say anything about it on here, because it’s a really sad thought, but I’ve been trying to get used to the idea that the Challengers and GP events will possibly not happen this season. (I’m not quite up to saying “probably” yet.)

Yes, I've been wondering about that as well. :(  And clearly others are unsure about the wisdom of large-scale events taking place before a vaccine is widely available.

In this panel hosted by the NY Times, one of the bioethicists said this regarding the re-opening process in the US:

Bazelon: If we have to restart the economy step by step, not all at once, does that mean deciding whether a workplace can do social distancing safely?

Emanuel: Yes, restarting the economy has to be done in stages, and it does have to start with more physical distancing at a work site that allows people who are at lower risk to come back. Certain kinds of construction, or manufacturing or offices, in which you can maintain six-foot distances are more reasonable to start sooner. Larger gatherings — conferences, concerts, sporting events — when people say they’re going to reschedule this conference or graduation event for October 2020, I have no idea how they think that’s a plausible possibility. I think those things will be the last to return. Realistically we’re talking fall 2021 at the earliest.

Obviously this is only one expert's opinion, but one thing I'm noticing on the topic of re-opening is that multiple experts in different countries believe that no affected country would be truly ready to re-open until it has robust testing/tracing/isolating, sufficient hospital/staffing capacity, sufficient PPEs for all essential workers, as well as experiencing very few new cases per day.  Iirc China waited until it only had a few new cases per day for a few weeks?  Anyway, it sounds like the US at least is far from these goals in some parts of the country?  Here in Canada, although we seem to have locked down in time to prevent a catastrophic surge, I don't see Ontario and Québec ready to handle things like senior sports for some time. 

In fact in Québec they have already cancelled their fs sectional in August, as part of the province's decision to suspend sports events (apart maybe from some pro events?) at least until the end of August, which suggests Canadian participation in the JGP, unless it is postponed, is in doubt:

Ontario and Québec are, unless I am much mistaken, the provinces most active in training competitive skaters.  They are also the most affected regions in Canada (note Ontario is not testing nearly enough and probably is much closer to Québec in case numbers).  If Ontario follows Québec's lead in cancelling summer sectionals, then it suggests the juniors' competition schedule will be at least delayed here in Canada, which is yet another thing that could potentially complicate putting together senior schedules internationally.  

Right now I worry about people's patience wearing thin and potentially leading to second waves in some parts of the world.  I very much hope I am wrong, however, and that part of the coming season can be handled safely, even if no fans are permitted to attend.  I'll be frank and say I'm not sure about how comfortable I'd be attending ACI or SCI, even if I am still able to financially justify going (and that too is far from certain).

2 hours ago, monchan said:

Hope it won't be true :smiley_hairpull:

one of the doctor I work with is a virologist and he said exactly the same thing,little optimistic me is trying to believe he's wrong.....anyhow i don't see how huge sport/music/show event could be held in the near future,being it September or later.

Honestly I wouldn't feel confortable sat in a crowded arena or a movie theater.

Edit :sorry it's been a bad day,i'm a little down.

On the topic of whether sports are coming back any time soon, or not:

I think this will depend on two factors, over and above a clear abatement of the pandemic: 

1. Whether the event can be held safely, and officiated fairly, while observing physical distancing rules

2. Whether the event can be held, and successfully televised, without live spectators.

Once you start thinking about this, it's clear that some sports will be back before others. For example, I think spectator-less singles tennis will be back long before something like boxing or football. Major team sports, despite their massive economic impact, will probably be some of the last sports to come back.  Air agility ( thanks Red Bull) races will be back before swimming. And so on. 

On this spectrum, figure skating is probably somewhere in the middle. You can hold a competition without spectators and broadcast it and make some money. But can you safely officiate or will the participants' health be put in jeopardy? Harder to see. 

If they went back to school figures temporarily, that would be a safer competition. 

20 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

On the topic of whether sports are coming back any time soon, or not:

I think this will depend on two factors, over and above a clear abatement of the pandemic: 

1. Whether the event can be held safely, and officiated fairly, while observing physical distancing rules

2. Whether the event can be held, and successfully televised, without live spectators.

Once you start thinking about this, it's clear that some sports will be back before others. For example, I think spectator-less singles tennis will be back long before something like boxing or football. Major team sports, despite their massive economic impact, will probably be some of the last sports to come back.  Air agility ( thanks Red Bull) races will be back before swimming. And so on. 

On this spectrum, figure skating is probably somewhere in the middle. You can hold a competition without spectators and broadcast it and make some money. But can you safely officiate or will the participants' health be put in jeopardy? Harder to see. 

If they went back to school figures temporarily, that would be a safer competition. 

Here the NRL (rugby league, full contact sport with scrums, for chrissake!) are talking loudly about restarting the stalled 2020 season on 28 May. I know they are desperate - have been throwing money around for some years and deeply in debt before this hit - but come on....

51 минуту назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

I just wonder if organizers are wiling to hold a comp without selling tickets (not only in FS), cuz as I understand broadcast money are going to ISU and tickets money and arena sponsors to the organizers of the event (I might be wrong of course). Without spectators you don't need big expensive arenas. On the other side it can potentially lead to more interesting broadcast (let's say you can choose to watch video from different cameras - I would even pay for such service, especially if you can switch off the commentator), but of course I don't think ISU is willing to develop smth like this (I'm surprised they discovered online-conferences now)

1 hour ago, TallyT said:

Here the NRL (rugby league, full contact sport with scrums, for chrissake!) are talking loudly about restarting the stalled 2020 season on 28 May. I know they are desperate - have been throwing money around for some years and deeply in debt before this hit - but come on....

I love rugby but I just don't see how it could possibly come back, unless the players get weekly testing and go into semi-permanent isolation so as not to infect each other