2019–20 Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) Thread

Figure_Frenzy

@mercedes @rockstaryuzu @SitTwizzle earlier last week (well before Easter) Marc Van Ranst also assured that Easter would still happen, the easter eggs would still be there, hidden in the lawn, since the Easter bunny's job counts as an essential job :68468287:. The Easter bell flight route from Rome to Belgium also wouldn't pass through regions heavily impacted by the virus, so the eggs will be safely delivered :68468287:.

Speaking of Easter bell I only know it recently that in some places/countries it is an Easter bell that delivers the Easter eggs?? (...not the Easter bunny???) :eeking: #themoreyouknow

10 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

@mercedes @rockstaryuzu @SitTwizzle earlier last week (well before Easter) Marc Van Ranst also assured that Easter would still happen, the easter eggs would still be there, hidden in the lawn, since the Easter bunny's job counts as an essential job :68468287:. The Easter bell flight route from Rome to Belgium also wouldn't pass through regions heavily impacted by the virus, so the eggs will be safely delivered :68468287:.

Speaking of Easter bell I only know it recently that in some places/countries it is an Easter bell that delivers the Easter eggs?? (...not the Easter bunny???) :eeking: #themoreyouknow

Well, the Easter bell is "the traditional things".

I think it comes from the fact the Catholic don't ring bells between the Maundy Thursday (evening) mass, to Easter 0AM, that's a bit more than two days. I suppose some parents told their children the bells were travelling to Rome and back meanwhile? And later, that they came back with eggs? (I don't like lying to children, even with something "cute".)

But my Grandma being from a "hare theory" region, until the age of 8 I thought rabbits and hares were oviparous. :grin:

2 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

I've never heard of the Easter bell tradition. Sounds interesting though! 

The church bells of Europe are something else. The most beautiful sound you can hear. When I went to Florence a couple years ago, I stood in front of the Duomo and recorded the noon bell tolling. The sound seemed to fill the whole city.

Churches here have bells but they don't ring as loudly or as often, and there's not as many as in Europe.

Interesting article about two sets of epidemiologists on what re-opening might look like: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/14/coronavirus-distancing-continue-until-2022-lockdown-pandemic  Obviously there's much uncertainty in modeling, because it depends on so many variables, such as immunity (pretty much unknown at this point) and testing/tracing/isolating ability, which can vary widely.  For example, here in Ontario we definitely need to be able to test better than we have been doing so far.  We don't even have a handle on how many health care workers or people living/working at long-term/retirement homes have been infected.  The only certainty seems to be that re-opening a society broadly without a robust testing/tracing/isolating program is asking for a major second wave. 

Masks are becoming more common in my Toronto neighborhood, if not worn by a majority.  More signs up at parks to warn people of fines and strict enforcement that was recently announced (there was about a week when people were mostly just being warned).  Cold and/or wet weather has been our friend, as the occasional warmer (13C+) day often means the parks can become busy, even if people are better about moving out of the way of others.  Stores are becoming better about social distancing, as earlier on some places were too crowded to permit social distancing in many areas.  Wheat flour, white sugar, and disinfectant wipes not available at our local small grocery last week, but rationing means things like TP have been present.  Local hospitals are not overwhelmed, which is great, but PPE is still in short supply.  And retirement homes and long-term care centres show how poor our system is.  Workers should get proper PPE and be paid enough to allow them to make a decent living by working at one institution, rather being forced to work at several places, which leads to disease being more easily spread. 

In Toronto public events are canceled at least to the end of June and I've seen cancellations for events into August.  Couple that with Ontario rinks being probably being closed at least until mid-May (the premier of Ontario said he will be asking for a state of emergency extension until May 12 and many expect that to be extended).  This makes the Minto Skate and the North York Summer Skate very big question marks, given that the latter is a large competition for Ontario skaters at many levels up to seniors, which means lots of mixing of children/teens and middle-aged people.  Usually you get the debut of some senior Canadian skaters there, such as Keegan, Nam, and Gabby.  Obviously many juniors compete there as well (including foreign skaters training in Ontario).  Considering  the summer sectionals are packed into July and August, I won't be shocked if summer sectional events in Canada are delayed or canceled.  I'm not sure if simply telling fans to stay away would change the number of participants much, given that most spectators are family/friends.  Obviously, I'd hope if held they would tell over 65-70s and immune-compromised people to stay home. 

Despite what I've said, there is no official decision by Skate Ontario on summer sectionals yet: https://skateontario.org/covid-19-skate-ontario-summer-events-update/  I think they want to see when rinks might open and training restart before saying anything about postponing or cancelling.  I won't be surprised if rinks remain closed throughout May and possibly longer. 

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I've never heard of the Easter bell tradition. Sounds interesting though! 

The church bells of Europe are something else. The most beautiful sound you can hear. When I went to Florence a couple years ago, I stood in front of the Duomo and recorded the noon bell tolling. The sound seemed to fill the whole city.

Churches here have bells but they don't ring as loudly or as often, and there's not as many as in Europe.

This is why one can hear them in musical works too, repelling bad spirits because one can literally feel this impression.

In Giselle, here at 1:36:07, wiping out the evil power of the Willis (I chose a very moving version, Nikolay Tsiskaridze and Svetlana Lunkina were so young and intense, and Myrtha is danced by Maria Alexandrova!)

Or in Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain, here at 7:22 :

I think Buddhists, Shintoists and Hindu have similar meaning for bells, but I am not sure.

Well, I am very much off-topic. :81:

A bicycle thief was caught nearby the train station in Liedekerke, Belgium by the police. He was also charged with a fine for violating the coronavirus guidelines (ie. engaging in a non-essential travel LOL 💀💀💀 )

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/04/15/fietsendief-krijgt-coronaboete-voor-niet-essentiele-verplaatsing/

...serves him right :devil3:

15 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

i honestly didn't know about it,but Doctor Van Ranst proves to be a very sweet and kind man!

it seems Italy will try to start open again on May the 4th,hopefully it won't be too early!

3 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

A bicycle thief was caught nearby the train station in Liedekerke, Belgium by the police. He was also charged with a fine for violating the coronavirus guidelines (ie. engaging in a non-essential travel LOL 💀💀💀 )

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/04/15/fietsendief-krijgt-coronaboete-voor-niet-essentiele-verplaatsing/

...serves him right :devil3:

Didn't he try to argue it was a professional journey? :oops:

I’ve wondered for a while how we could have sports back by fall. I didn’t want to say anything about it on here, because it’s a really sad thought, but I’ve been trying to get used to the idea that the Challengers and GP events will possibly not happen this season. (I’m not quite up to saying “probably” yet.)

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

It’s escalating in Japan already...

Thank you for the news, sad as they are.

In the last days I had thought it was under control, but yesterday was hard, though it means the discover of clusters.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/japan/

And Sendai had two childcare facilities infected.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/04/15/national/japan-coronavirus-deaths-record-infections-8000/#.XpggJflfjcs

I don't know where the Hanyu family are living now, but Yuzuru Hanyu's former schools, where his father is still teaching probably, and maybe Sendai rink too, are probably in Izumi ward.

I don't know the level of danger, but I am afraid the Sendai rink is at risk of complete closure. Hopefully for not more than the three weeks announced?

13 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

:( it's only a suggestion but I struggle to see how we can hold the GP if not the rest of the season!

Assuming that the places where the GPs are organised have been cleared of the pandemic (and the skaters are exempt from travel bans), I think the only viable option is to hold it without audience — so broadcast/livestream only (which I think will make the livestream we had last season no longer available for free (because let's be real, figure skating as it is now cannot attract sponsors loaded up enough that they can at least break even financially, and there are only so many cashed up aunties to take revenues in from)). 

It is the audience that is more the factor to me right now. I mean, sure, the competitors (skaters and their team) and the organizers have to be mindful of not spreading the virus but I feel like it's easier for them to keep their distance from each other than for the audience.

A new financial model is definitely needed for organizing the GP (if GPs can be safely organized to begin with), I am just not sure with how it would look like...